TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

First Defunct B&M?

There are no defunct B&M coasters. There have been a few relocations, but one has not yet bitten the dust. I thought it would be interesting to see what people's opinions were on what the first defunct one might be.

As for me, I personally think Time Machine will eventually be relocated, so I will have to say one of the older standups, maybe Vortex at CGA. It's old, relatively rough, and people don't have a great opinion of it.

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's an interesting question... Obviously B&M makes some pretty awesome coasters, so becoming defunct has never been an issue for them...

If I picked one, I'd say one of the BATMAN: THE RIDE CLONES

This is mainly because:

- They are quite old

- There are 10 clones (6 by the same name) so removing one wouldn't be too much of a loss

- The SFMM one I rode was a little rough by B&M standards

Having said that I'd like to see them stay, as they are really awesome roller coasters!

Interesting topic to say the least. I feel like I'd have to put my money on Vortex at PGA. I dont see any of the batman's going away because I think they're still very popular. Led Zeppelin... you don't think anyone would try and purchase it from the park?

The SFMM one I rode was a little rough by B&M standards

Not only do I disagree with this, but I actually think the inverted coasters maintain their smoothness better than any other B&M coaster type. Almost all of the floorless coasters have developed a rattle, as have many of the older hypers... but I find the inverted coasters (including the Magic Mountain and Great Adventure Batman rides) to be perfectly smooth and one of B&M's best rides.

The B&M Rattle is noticeable, but these coasters are all still very enjoyable. I don't mean to make it a bigger deal than it is, I'm just pointing out that I have never noticed it on any B&M invert that I've ridden.

The Batman rides are perfect, I see no reason to change anything about them (or do something stupid like turn the trains around backwards... ahem) and I definitely don't see any of them being removed in the near future.

Really interesting question! I'd say that if I had to bet that time machine is probably most likely to bite the dust. It's the outlier though. If Time machine had been in continuous operation or if it were to be rescued soon, then I'd think the first B&M to get scrapped would be Vortex.

Ditto!

CGA lost coasters when Cedar Fair was considering selling the park, or the ride was becoming obsolete and expensive to maintain. B&M parts are still fully available and vortex still get high ridership. The likelihood of a B&M being removed because it gave coaster enthusiasts a headache is probably not going to happen. I think Led Zeppelin is the most likely since no one has touched it for so long now.

I wish it were Superman at Six Flags Great America but that would never happen. The ride is too popular.

The ride is good, but someone much better should be in its place. It feels like the only reason for that ride is the pretzel loop.

I do think it will be one of the stand up coasters. That type of ride has completely fallen out of favor but then again, I imagine that if a park can afford a cheap used B&M, it doesn't matter what type of coaster it is.

Robb is right, Led Zep/Time Machine hasn't run in quite a while. I didn't realize how long it's been. Is it being maintained at all or is it just rotting away?

Either way, I'm still going to go with Vortex. Although I suppose it stands a good chance of eventual relocation in the Cedar Fair chain.

There's also the factor of all the "outlying" B&Ms. Stuff I see on RCDB and think, "Oh, that's kinda weird." Coasters like Lightning at Entertainment City in Kuwait or the two B&Ms at Jansufun in Thailand. I don't know too much about those.

I think that, as of right now, B&Ms are fairly valuable. If a park doesn't want it, they aren't going to put it into storage or sell it for scrap, certainly there is another park willing to pay more for it than its scrap value. There may be a whole bunch of Batman clones in the US, but keep in mind, if no park in the US wants one of these, there are always international options. I don't think we'll be seeing defunct B&Ms until much later, when there are a lot more in existence. They are still in high demand. I wouldn't worry too much about Time Machine going out completely. The park hasn't operated for a while, which means they are bleeding money. They can get more cash by selling it, having it sit outside with no riders makes no money.

If something doesn't happen to Led Zeppelin sometime soon, that one could just be the first! This will be, what, four years since the park last operated?

Is it possible that it was relocated? or has it been too long since it was last used...?

No, it's still just sitting there. Led Zep/Time Machine was, at best, a mediocre ride; so, I think this will probably be the first B&M to get scrapped, even though I don't think relocation is out of the question.

I always thought it would be Iron Wolf, but since it was relocated I don't see Apocalypse becoming defunct any time soon. I would have to think that it would be one of their old stand-up coasters since they are not as well liked or popular as their other coasters.

Led Zepelin would be a great ride though for some smaller park to pick up for a deal (assuming it doesn't need a ton of deferred maintenance obviously) and get a product that would normally be out of their price range. That is completely luck though whether or not the ride gets saved before it's too late to be able to offload it to another park.

I'd also imagine it would be either one of the old standups, or as someone else said, one of the B&M's not in an overly established region in terms of amusement/theme parks. I could see a park in Asia somewhere closing for one reason or another and their coasters possibly just going to waste. Probably unlikely still, but definitely a possibility.

Although their rides have gotten less intense as time has gone on, the fact that they don't have a single defunct coaster says a lot for how much quality you get with the money. They may not be cheap, but they're a sure bet in terms of popularity, maintenance, capacity, etc. They really are great rides that most parks are lucky to have.

Led Zeppelin... you don't think anyone would try and purchase it from the park?

From what I understand it's not "for sale" - and you never know. It's really up to the park if they will eventually sell their rides, let them rot, or sell them for scrap. At the end of the day, there is only a finite amount of time a ride can sit somewhere, without any care of maintenance, to when it's no longer viable to operate, and just cheaper to buy a new one.

Now, there have been "rumor" that the rides at HRP have been "kept up", but I have yet to see any proof of that. So as far as I can tell, all those coasters sitting in Myrtle Beach are probably only a couple of years away from the scrap yard unless something happens.

--Robb

Now, there have been "rumor" that the rides at HRP have been "kept up", but I have yet to see any proof of that. So as far as I can tell, all those coasters sitting in Myrtle Beach are probably only a couple of years away from the scrap yard unless something happens.

--Robb

I too have heard from some people in the industry that they have taken tours of the park as recently as last year, and the rides seem to be in working order and good condition.

Has anyone rember end the other B&Ms that we could see leaving? This sound s crazy but maybe DD at IOA because they no longer dull. There is no use for two of them there. How about Kumba? It's starting to get very rusty and is way to loud. But God forbid the removal of Kumba and its beauty!!!