TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

New type of attraction: Attraktsionus

Found a new type of attraction on the Russian design studio Art. Lebedev homepage www.artlebedev.com

The name of the ride is Attraktsionus and it is a hybrid ride marrying the two sightseeing favourites: a Ferris wheel and an aerial lift.

Infinite fun

A special platform loads and unloads the passengers

Twice as much of fun

I wonder which park will be the first to build?

More interesting designs from Art. Lebedev: Vilkus & Povodokus

/// Marcus

APRIL FOOL!!!!!!

Edited by Wes

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

that design has a major flaw, which is the main problem with large ferris wheels: it takes so long to load one full load of passengers, that the actual in-motion part of the ride is very short. with so many more seats than even a large ferris wheel, loading / unloading would be near-constant, and none of the seats would ever be in continuous motion.

the solution would be a slightly more complicated design. give it loading stations similar to the old skyrides: the cable is always in motion, it never stops, but when a gondola comes into the station, it disconnects from the cable and joins a backlog of waiting gondolas, where passengers disembark and load, and then are pushed our of the station back onto the cable. additionally, build it so that at the end of a loop, a single car can either head into the station for loading/unloading or bypass the station, remain on the cable, and keep going around. that part could be set up either as a pre-programed number of loops, or maybe even have it controlled by the passengers, depending on capacity needs.

^Don't complain about it just yet. While it could use a moving station similar to the one on Rip Ride Rockit or Haunted Mansion, this ride is still a prototype and is a fantastic improvement on the original design.

This is absolutely brilliant! This certainly fixes loads of problems with traditional Ferris Wheels.

...But I can't help but point out that it was made by an art studio. Do you suppose it will really be built?

I kind of wonder about the amount of clearance between the cars and the station/ground. One thing you will notice about a skyride is that anytime there are people in it, the cable sags a bit more than when there is no one in the car. While more tension could help this, I would worry that too much could be bad for the ride system. If they are going to have more of a track system between the two wheels than that would be different.

-Gary

I have to say, while this post is part of an April Fools thing the company does each year, it's actually a pretty decent idea if you incorporated a moving walkway for loading and unloading. It solves capacity problems that shorter ferris wheels have by eliminating the need to start and stop the ride.

-chris "actually impressed" con

No it doesn't. You would be better off using the space to build one giant ferris wheel as opposed to two smaller ones.

No it doesn't. You would be better off using the space to build one giant ferris wheel as opposed to two smaller ones.

I can think of a few reasons to do this rather than one big one. The first is novelty: If a park built one, it would be unique and special, giving it appeal to someone like Disney. Another is height, which is twofold: parks have height restrictions (somewhere like Alton Towers can't necessarily build a giant wheel), and some parks don't want a giant Ferris Wheel on their skyline for thematic reasons. Finally, there could be a cost factor, although that's obviously unclear, since no one's ever built one.