Good Eating Outside of Theme Parks

• Replies 293
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 3 weeks later...

OK, if you're looking for a damn good doughnut and coffee before hitting Busch Gardens, and new place recently opened on Merrimac Trail (Rt. 143): Emily's Donuts and Cafe.

How can you pass up these?

They also make all sorts of pies, including fruit pies, pecan pie, and meat-filled pot pies. I haven't tried the pies, but the donuts are great.

Address: 7123 Merrimac Trail, Williamsburg, VA 23185

• 2 weeks later...

Outside of Universal Studios Hollywood, just around the corner is an excellent Italian restaurant, Miceli's.

Just North of Universal, on Lankershim Blvd. - or one Red Line Subway stop away, near North Hollywood Station is an excellent bar- the Federal Bar- they've got beer floats that are excellent, and really good food, too.

If your in Charlotte for Carowinds and you decide to go downtown, make sure to try Fuel's Pizza. It's so good!

You're not the first person from NC I've heard raving about this place but I have to admit I thought it was terrible. I don't mean to be a New York pizza snob but with very few exceptions pizza just isn't worth getting if you're not in the New York or Chicago (in the U.S.).

The only way to pull off Pizza outside of those areas seems to be to do something a little different. The problems is that everyone tries (and fails) to copy New York or Chicago Pizza instead of putting their own twist on it and they can't duplicate it. I don't know why, some people say it's the water... the elevation... whatever, but nobody can duplicate it.

The only Pizza I've ever had outside of the New York or Chicago area that I've enjoyed are Grotto Pizza in Delaware (it sucks in Pennsylavnia but it's great in Delaware). They put their own twist on it and it worked out great for them, and Cesari's at Knoebels. Cesari's is very much a NY style pizza but for some reason it's good anyway... probably because the food at Knoebels defies the laws of nature and is always amazing.

EDIT: Well, so much for Sapori. They're out of business, at least in Williamsburg.

A new Italian place opened up over in New Town, which is a development bordered by Monticello Ave. in Williamsburg: Sapori Restaurante Italiano. I've eaten there twice, and both meals were great. I tried the Gnocchi Pepe Nero last night, which is gnocchi in a bourbon peppercorn cream with sliced ribeye on top, and it was excellent. The Beef and Sausage Cannelloni is good, too, as are their warm out-of-the-oven rolls and Calamari.

Address

4903 Courthouse St, New Town

Williamsburg, VA

Directions from BGW

Leave the park via Rt. 60 toward Williamsburg.

Turn right and enter Rt. 199 West (toward Jamestown and Williamsburg)

Exit at Monticello Ave, and turn right.

Turn left on Courthouse St.

Edited by cfc

• 3 weeks later...

If you are vacationing in Orlando close to the Disney resorts, we found a wonderful Italian restaurant on our last day in Florida on the Irlo Bronson Hwy (or 192). This place had really good garlic bread and the pasta and calzone were VERY good!

I Googled the restaurant because I wanted to post the link, but the website (and menu page) seem to be down at the moment.

1232608485_Florida_March_2014583.thumb.JPG.3f1846a77b6a7767d2b74c7ba98f6847.JPG

Little Italy - near the former Arabian Nights attraction on Irlo Bronson.

1886210544_Florida_March_2014584.JPG.4e48400cc42e4e118a2b141d2c21068e.JPG

Having authentic Italian beer (that isn't Peroni) is always a plus, and the garlic bread was presented in a unique way - quite tasty.

2079633882_Florida_March_2014585.JPG.2a5fd0d52a5189491d25970efe240269.JPG

This is (part of) their calzone. Most of the crust was light and flaky...not too heavy or overly bready, which is just how I like it. Ingredients of ham, salami, pepperoni and fresh mozzarella added a nice balance of flavor.

971964584_Florida_March_2014586.JPG.eae0df73fb8c8ffa07d0c3e80fc7166c.JPG

And this was my spaghetti carbonara with a decent dose of bacon nuggets. Very excellent meal, although I have to admit that our visit to Carrabba's on the previous Monday was ridiculously awesome too! But if you are looking for a nice, reasonably priced (non-chain) Italian restaurant in the Kissimmee area, I certainly would recommend Little Italy!

• 3 months later...

Time for a thread bump...

If you are visiting Cedar Point and want a huge, reasonably priced awesome breakfast, get in the car and head South from Sandusky on Rt. 250 and after about 12 miles, take a left to a small town called Milan - which just also happens to be the birth place of a Mr. Thomas Edison.

Right in the center of town is a quaint, greasy spoon aptly named Invention Restaurant. Obviously named for the great electrical pioneer, they are also named this for another reason...their own crazy invention: Trash Hash!

There is enough on one of these plates to probably feed a family of four. Reasonably priced at about $7.50, you aren't going to get a better deal (or meal) at the local Bob Evans, Cracker Barrel or Denny's.

I could not finish half of mine, but was able to stick it in the cooler and bring the rest home...for another two meals!!

If you don't like the quality of food (or prices) at Cedar Point and want to fill your tummy before you head for the coasters, I would highly recommend taking the ride down to Milan to check this place out. It is well worth the drive and has probably become the new "must-do" for us anytime we visit CP in the future.

Here is the menu link---> Menu

092.JPG.cf339d2775f55aa53045c9f8a43d865c.JPG

Here is the restaurant on the corner. Looked kinda sketchy from the outside, but do not let that make you change your mind...this place is awesome!

086.JPG.f6a5d455d914c93a63323e1ef0b94685.JPG

This guy is sorta well known.

087.JPG.2204165aa6905872afe4086eac1d287e.JPG

When we first visited CP in May, I went with the Trash Hash plus which includes bacon, ham and sausage for about $8. This is basically hash browned potatoes with mushrooms, onions, peppers, cheese and meat. And they do not skimp on anything, including lots of fresh cooked, crispy bacon!

088.JPG.b0d263590107f432b2759d4c1ed31e25.JPG

Michael got a gooey omelet, home fries & toast for about $6....also huge!

089.JPG.4b51870aea3d61f83bf5ef455fa7d003.JPG

As you can see, I made it through about half and had to force myself to stop in order to keep from being very uncomfortable. The leftovers were equally impressive though!

029.JPG.177cfd2764dd77a55141d9f31b99d9ac.JPG

During our second visit in June, I went with the veggie only (trying to be good). Still ended up bringing half of it home with me.

090.JPG.cd01c3e076d7985ade3f0d1df0b57bb3.JPG

The dessert in the cast iron skillet is like a fruit crumble cake that the owner makes herself from a passed down family recipe. It looked awesome, but no way I had any room left in my stomach for any more food!

027.JPG.f4d0661463bc0e5fcc525edeb380a1f2.JPG

Nothing fancy, but this place has really great food at decent prices with huge servings. Highly recommended!

091.JPG.f6f67a6f58b036caae61af3a7a3dd2ec.JPG

Right on the corner of downtown Milan - Invention Restaurant.

These are a little bit of a drive from Hersheypark but both are well worth the drive. Owned by the same family and they have similar menus. The first is in Harrisburg on Second St called The Firehouse. It's in an old firehouse. The other is on the Carlisle Pike in Mechanicsburg called Black n Bleu. Haven't had a bad meal yet, huge portions (the half order is more than enough when available), and everything is fresh.

• 6 months later...

Interesting thread. One of our favourites locally is Ocean Zen, a brilliant Asian fusion restaurant in south Springfield. Much too far from SDC to recommend for lunch, but dinner after the park closes is definitely doable. https://www.eatoceanzen.com/ocean_zen.php

From Silver Dollar City, you'll make a left from Indian Point Rd. to Mo-76 and take that to Branson West, then right on Mo-13. Follow 13 all the way into Springfield (about 30 miles), where it will become Campbell Ave. Make a right on Battlefield Rd., and it's just a couple of blocks east on your right. Lunch prices ~$10-15 a plate, dinner ~$15-30. Full bar, great sushi menu.

• 2 weeks later...

If you're looking for some fine French cuisine after your visit to Busch Gardens Williamsburg (the Smokehouse doesn't count), you might want to check out Le Yaca over in the High Street development off Richmond Road.

It's a bit pricey for Williamsburg. A dinner entree can run you anywhere from $28 to $50 ala carte, but everything is made fresh. The menu is seasonal, and they offer a very nice three-course lunch for $17, a three-course dinner for $38, and a four-course brunch on Sundays for $27.50. The desserts are very good.

Here's an idea of the food they serve there.

Like I said, it's a bit chi chi, especially for the theme-park crowd. But if you're looking for something fancier than a burger, you can't go wrong at Le Yaca.

Address

Le Yaca Restaurant Francais

1430 High Street

Williamsburg, VA 23188

757-220-3616

If your in Charlotte for Carowinds and you decide to go downtown, make sure to try Fuel's Pizza. It's so good!

You're not the first person from NC I've heard raving about this place but I have to admit I thought it was terrible. I don't mean to be a New York pizza snob but with very few exceptions pizza just isn't worth getting if you're not in the New York or Chicago (in the U.S.).

The only way to pull off Pizza outside of those areas seems to be to do something a little different. The problems is that everyone tries (and fails) to copy New York or Chicago Pizza instead of putting their own twist on it and they can't duplicate it. I don't know why, some people say it's the water... the elevation... whatever, but nobody can duplicate it.

The only Pizza I've ever had outside of the New York or Chicago area that I've enjoyed are Grotto Pizza in Delaware (it sucks in Pennsylavnia but it's great in Delaware). They put their own twist on it and it worked out great for them, and Cesari's at Knoebels. Cesari's is very much a NY style pizza but for some reason it's good anyway... probably because the food at Knoebels defies the laws of nature and is always amazing.

Are there any good country-fried chicken places anybody would recommend in the Carowinds area?

As a disclaimer, I've been to most of these only once or twice...

Coney Island - Totonno's - 1524 Neptune Ave, Brooklyn, NY 11224

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Totonno's

It's a short walk from the boardwalk at Coney Island. One of Scott's recommended pizzarias. Still the best pizza I've ever had (though it's hard to go wrong in New York).

SFMM - Rustic Eatery- 25343 Wayne Mills Pl, Valencia, CA 91355

Remarkably terrible name, but great Asian style sandwiches, salads, and plates. Also, beer. To get there, drive away from SFMM (always good advice) under the 5 freeway, and it'll be on your right. Pork belly sandwich...

Santa Monica Pacific Park - PierBurger - 330 Santa Monica Pier, Santa Monica, CA 90401

One of the few interesting food establishments on the pier. They have solid burgers and, best of all, actual Midwest-style thick frozen custard.

CGA - Smoking Pig BBQ - 1144 N 4th St, San Jose, CA 95112

Excellent BBQ with a nice selection of sauces, though it's about a 10-15 drive from the park.

On the subject of BBQ, is Pierce's still rib-less? I would often order their sampler plate (chicken, pork, ribs) but the last time I visited they'd replaced everything "rib" on the menu with "shank". While meatier and still tasty, I didn't think the shanks matched up in flavor. Alas...

Still on the subject of BBQ, I went to an amazing BBQ place after my first visit to SFFT, but I couldn't find it this last time. I seem to remember buying meat by the pound with seating outside at picnic tables. Anyone know where I'm talking about?

^^^ Since you're the Williamsburg local, Chuck, what is your opinion on Food for Thought? I really enjoyed eating there on my last visit.

I haven't eaten there in a while, but it's pretty good, even if the menu isn't terribly exciting. For some reason, I just can't get into that place, but I don't object to eating there.

As a disclaimer, I've been to most of these only once or twice...

Coney Island - Totonno's - 1524 Neptune Ave, Brooklyn, NY 11224

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Totonno's

It's a short walk from the boardwalk at Coney Island. One of Scott's recommended pizzarias. Still the best pizza I've ever had (though it's hard to go wrong in New York).

For anyone planning a trip, be aware Totonnos is closed on Mondays and Tuesdays

If you're at SFOG and have some time to spare for lunch or dinner, The Vortex Bar and Grill, Fox Bros. BBQ, Wrecking Bar Brewpub and Little 5 Pizza are all in the Inman Park/Little 5 Points neighborhood, about 15 minutes east of the park on I-20. It's a bit of a drive, but the food is more than worth it.

Vortex is 21+ only (they I.D. everyone at the door), but they serve some of the best burgers I've ever had (I'd recommend the Rebel Outlaw or the Fat Elvis); Fox Bros. has been featured on multiple TV shows for their kick-ass barbecue; Wrecking Bar is an awesome brewery/pub with great food, and they do an all-vegetarian menu on Tuesdays for the meatless crowd; and Little 5 Pizza is just good, cheap pizza, plain and simple.

For just Universal Orlando Resort I would recommend the locally owned chain of KeKe's.

KeKe's

They have absolutely delicious breakfast and I'm sure the other Orlando locals can agree with that statement. There is one in Dr. Phillips maybe 10 minutes from Universal with traffic, but probably closer to about 7 if you don't get caught by every light. It's honestly just really good and you're not going to be paying much more than Denny's, or IHOP. It ultimately is comparable to First Watch.

As far as dinner/late night Junior Colombian Burger is literally right across the street from Universal. It's just a little past Double Tree. For reference it is LITERALLY across from the McDonald's right by Universal. It has AMAZING burgers, fries and other fare. I highly recommend it and it's open really late. I don't think it closes till 4am.

Junior Colombian Burger

Right outside of Legoland California across the I-5 freeway is Miguel's Cocina. It has some great Mexican food with some addictive queso dip with your tortilla chips.

Naw, dude, it's all about Karl Strauss Brewery in SoCal. There's one that borders the Legoland property (in the business park). There's also one in CityWalk at USH, as well as few in San Diego and one in Temecula. If there's a Karl Strauss within a reasonable distance while I'm at a SoCal park you can bet that I'll be making the trip for dinner. The food is fresh and interesting, the menu changes every now and then, and the beers are incredible.

http://www.karlstrauss.com/