TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

I'm shocked there isn't a thread on this already.

In case you're wondering what the Aqualoop is, it is a waterslide developed by WhiteWater West of Vancouver, B.C.

Here's a short review of my experience on the aqualoop at Calypso Park, which just so happens to be located in Ottawa, the city where whitewater's biggest rival, Proslide, has their HQ.

As I climbed the stairway to the top of the aproximently 50ft platform, I really wasn't sure what to expect. Once I drew closer, now standing at the top of the stairs, where a group was cuing up for the ride, my heart began to beat faster, pounding in my bare chest in the hot sun. I could hear the screams of the riders, and the sinister, mechanical clicks, buzzes and hisses from the launch capsule, a strange alternative to the relatively quiet sounds of a traditional slide. As I steped inside the launch chamber, I was beginning to wonder if this was a good idea... Then, I pulled myself together, knowing a ride made in this great country of Canada, couldn't, wouldn't let me down.

I stood there, looking out over the rest of Calypso Park, and leaned back against the slightly angled panel. After taking the proper position, the op closed the transparent, plexiglass door, and flicked the switch. At first, nothing, then, an omonous, robotic countdown voice through the waterproof speaker above my head.

Launch

The trap door engaged, and suddenly, I was free falling. It was a much different sensation then I had expected. Instead of the feeling of hanging over the edge like a traditional speed slide, this was much more intense and outa control feeling, compairable with the first drop of a coaster. After the extreme, near vertical free fall, I was hammered with crushing positive Gs as I pulled out of the dive, and flew around the inclined loop, before bursting back into the daylight.

Overall , was it worth it?... Hell ya! The ride was smooth, fast, forcefully, intense, and Canadian made to boot! The aqualoop is definitely the best waterslide I've ever rode, only compairable with other masterpieces by whitewater, many of which are located at the falls view water park in Niagra Fallls, just across the province. I'd even go so far as to rank the Aqualoop up there in my 10 greatest rides in general list, which includes flats and coasters! While I have not rode the proslide version, the super loop, I doubt it will be able to match the purée amazing ness of this ride, especially considering Proslide got their @$$es whooped in their own home town of Ottawa by the one... The only... The almighty... AQUALOOP.

Edited by TPDave

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, thanks for the compliment . I understand that there's tons of these things all over, but mthat's actually another reason why I started this thread. These aqualooops keep coming up faster than threads can be created. This way, people can just post whatever whenever about any of the rides out there.

One little correction: The Aqualoop was actually not developed by White Water West. White Water West just licensed the ride design from AQUARENA. So they didn't design the ride or even develop it, they just bought the rights to sell the ride. The same goes for the Masterblaster, which was developed by NBGS International and the FlowRider. Basically, White Water West doesn't really develop many original slides, they just redo other slide-maker's ideas in a different and usually subpar method. ProSlide on the other hand actually develops, designs, and manufactures its products. I have never found a product that White Water West did better than ProSlide aesthetically and ride wise.

I've only done Pro Slide's version in which your story sums up my thoughts. The anticipation of the capsule's trap door flopping open definitely gets the better of you, and you're down before you realize what just happened. Waiting in what line there was (everyone was too chicken) and hearing the kerchunk honestly got me quite nervous. But I'd totally do it again!

I've only done Pro Slide's version in which your story sums up my thoughts. The anticipation of the capsule's trap door flopping open definitely gets the better of you, and you're down before you realize what just happened. Waiting in what line there was (everyone was too chicken) and hearing the kerchunk honestly got me quite nervous. But I'd totally do it again!

I agree! I also like how the Skybox( or whatever they're calling it now) on Superloops are much more vertical than the Aqualoops. If only there was a way to prevent the capsule from fogging in the heat, it would be perfect. I think I blacked out on the pullout of the drop, but I'm really not sure as I couldn't see/hear/feel anything except water and blackness.

Well, obviously I've been miss informed about my slides. Even if pro slide is better, I've still been on some AMAZING slides by whitewater. The aqua loop still kicks some serious @$$, and obviously, they've done something right, as there's aqua loops everywhere. And if it turns out the super loop's better when I ride it, we'll, then I've got an even more kick@$& ride on my hands, which is a good thing!

Btw, what makes the super loop better/worse for those who've rode it?

Well, obviously I've been miss informed about my slides. Even if pro slide is better, I've still been on some AMAZING slides by whitewater. The aqua loop still kicks some serious @$$, and obviously, they've done something right, as there's aqua loops everywhere. And if it turns out the super loop's better when I ride it, we'll, then I've got an even more kick@$& ride on my hands, which is a good thing!

Btw, what makes the super loop better/worse for those who've rode it?

I've never actually done the Aqualoop, but from what I hear the drop is more sudden on a Superloop and it has a smoother slide. Also little people can't get stuck in the slide so wait times don't back up.

The SuperLoop does not have a weight requirement so it is accessible to a wider variety of patrons. Also, the SkyBox (trapdoor) technology that ProSlide uses is far superior and really scares you. The angle of the slide after the floor drops is much steeper as well. Although you might not fully invert, the SuperLoop pushes you against the wall with such force you feel like you are inverted and you experience more sensations than the Aqualoop gives. All in all, the SuperLoop is a more complete package for parks, just like all of ProSlide's products.

^^ Yea, the whole nearly standing up vertical felt very awkward. I almost felt like I was standing in a shower stall, leaning against the wall. I felt like for a split second when that trap door opened, I felt nothing around me until the slide's curve kicked in, followed by tons of water spraying in my face. All I can see is a blur of black and blue whizzing by.

^The downfall about Pro Slide's version is that it is essentially just a glorified downward spiral. Still very fun but it's not even an inclined loop. In the end it is just very fast and forceful.

IMG_1408.jpg.abb1cacf606cfcc4e959782a1af56129.jpg

This is Pro Slide's version, at one of my local water parks, Raging Waters in San Jose...Bombs Away!

IMG_1402.jpg.2c3ee0a7d7bf9bbe228e9de324541d20.jpg

Well, it sounds like the super loop is amazing. In regards to the super loop not actually 'looping', I really don't care. The loop of the aqualoop was actually my least favourite part, and it's really nothing more than a gimic that slows down the cue due to people getting stuck. I also believe a flat curve would be a lot more intense dut to the HS.

PS: As for the 'whitewater copies everyone' thing, while that may be true, a lot of the stuff proslide's made has been copies of other stuff. Not saying that they don't make the stuff they copy better, whereas whitewater just straight copies it, but really, isn't that what the whole ride industry is sometimes? Finally, as I said before, the aqua loop must've got it right somewhere, because there absolutely everywhere.

I rode scorpion's tail at noah's ark a couple summers ago. Overall, I have to say I really enjoyed it! Unfortunately I only got to do it once so I don't have much to say, but I remember a great ride. I also remember getting hammered in the face with water at the top of the loop, but that's necessary for the ride. Did that happen to anyone else, or just me?

PS: As for the 'whitewater copies everyone' thing, while that may be true, a lot of the stuff proslide's made has been copies of other stuff. Not saying that they don't make the stuff they copy better, whereas whitewater just straight copies it, but really, isn't that what the whole ride industry is sometimes? Finally, as I said before, the aqua loop must've got it right somewhere, because there absolutely everywhere.

It's true that the industry is based on adaption and improvement, but ProSlide is incredibly innovative. They were the first to use a funnel slide and cloverleaf tubes. They were the original bowl slide pioneers. They turned the water coaster concept from a cool, but not super thrilling idea into an insanely crazy experience. They invented the mat racing slide (and all variations of the mat racer), family raft slide, and the freefall slide. They are the innovators of the industry for sure. Not to say that White Water West hasn't made large contributions to the industry, I just believe that they are not nearly as innovative in their concepts. I will say, the Boomerango is a great product though.

It's true that the industry is based on adaption and improvement, but ProSlide is incredibly innovative. They were the first to use a funnel slide and cloverleaf tubes. They were the original bowl slide pioneers. They turned the water coaster concept from a cool, but not super thrilling idea into an insanely crazy experience. They invented the mat racing slide (and all variations of the mat racer), family raft slide, and the freefall slide. They are the innovators of the industry for sure. Not to say that White Water West hasn't made large contributions to the industry, I just believe that they are not nearly as innovative in their concepts. I will say, the Boomerango is a great product though.

Well, it's great to hear that such an amazing player in the amusement industry is just across the province from me. It's also ironic how there is a park made of entirely whitewater stuff in the same town as Proslide's HQ.

PS: isn't Proslide's tornado wave a copy of whitewater's boomerango?

^I think the ProSlide Tornado Wave and White Water West's Boomerangos are different products that rely heavily on the concept of a half-pipe.

Boomerangos seem to have the half-pipe as the "grand finale/main attraction". The free-falling half-pipe is at the very end of the ride right before, as White Water West's website states "A reversed free-fall accelerates riders over a 6 ft high transition hump, and then into a splashdown pool". So the "boomerang" is practically the end of the ride. I have yet to see one where it isn't so

Tornado Wave uses the half-pipe concept, but they can be placed many places. Look at some of the photos on ProSlide's website. You can be in an enclosed chute, once you pop out into the open, you go up one of the half-pipes and into an open chute (or back into an enclosed one). Therefore, there can be more than one half-pipe during the attraction. In addition, the half-pipes aren't necessarily located at the end of the ride.

As for AquaLoops, I have yet to try one. I hear they are quite intense. I guess one of these days I'll find a place to try one at. Go big or go home I guess.

Edited by Coasterguy21

A Boomerango is far different than a Tornado. I personally love the Boomerango and am extremely happy my home park has one of these. Basically, the Boomerango is almost like a half pipe...I mean quarter pipe. When you come back down the wall, you go up and over a small hump and it is very possible to catch air on this...atleast on the Boomerango at CGA.

The Tornado Wave looks to be slightly different, being just a big bank in the middle of the slide.

One little correction: The Aqualoop was actually not developed by White Water West. White Water West just licensed the ride design from AQUARENA. So they didn't design the ride or even develop it, they just bought the rights to sell the ride. The same goes for the Masterblaster, which was developed by NBGS International and the FlowRider. Basically, White Water West doesn't really develop many original slides, they just redo other slide-maker's ideas in a different and usually subpar method. ProSlide on the other hand actually develops, designs, and manufactures its products. I have never found a product that White Water West did better than ProSlide aesthetically and ride wise.

Oddly enough, Proslide was founded to copy White Water West...White Water West started in 1980, with Pro Slide coming along six years later in 1986.

I would say that White Water West is the clear leader in the play structure department. But more relevant to this thread, I'd say their product is also the more intense version, as it is closer to a true loop.

Well, in regards to the boomerango, although I haven't rode the proslide version, i think the idea of being able to place the element wherever in the ride is pretty cool. Thing is. Whitewater now has their own version. I'm not sure what it's called, but it's on their website.

IMO, both companies have their strengths and weeaknesses.

Oddly enough, Proslide was founded to copy White Water West...White Water West started in 1980, with Pro Slide coming along six years later in 1986.

I would say that White Water West is the clear leader in the play structure department. But more relevant to this thread, I'd say their product is also the more intense version, as it is closer to a true loop.

I totally agree with you that White Water has a defined lead on play structure and other departments, but when it comes to slides, no one beats ProSlide's innovation.

Proslide is the big innovator in the industry, no doubt, but that's it. They are lightyears behind both Whitewater and Polin when it comes to manufacture their slides.

Proslide still manufacture slides the same way they did in the 80's. Sure, a few things have changed, but the method is still the same.

Polin and Whitewater on the other hand has spent a lot of time and money to develop new methods that will give the owner and rides of the slides a lot of benefits.

RTM molding and SilkGel is the future of the industry, and Proslide still doesn't do it.

Some of the biggest benefits of the new methods are:

Perfectly shiny & smooth finish on both sides

Aesthetically superior product

Stronger but lighter waterslides

Homogeneous thickness distribution

Perfectly smooth joints

Much smoother riding experience

Environmental friendly

Easy Maintenance

Extreme tolerance against sun fading

People may think that these kind of things doesn't matter, but when you are about to pay a shit load of cash for some new water slides for your park, then it will matter.

Not doing this new technology costs Proslides a lot contracts. A good example of that is the new Yas Waterworld where the only slides done by Proslide is what Whitewater could not deliver.

So yes, Proslide are very innovative, but they are not close to the "water slide gods" that coastercrazy216 wants them to be.

All in all, the SuperLoop is a more complete package for parks, just like all of ProSlide's products.

What a stupid comment.

^Thats awfully rude, don't you think. I never said they were water slide gods. I think they are the superior company in the grand scheme of things. Both Polin and White Water have subpar products aesthetically and technologically. I am basing my argument purely on the slides, not their maintenance or anything else. Your argument is totally irrelevant in what we are discussing. We are looking at how the slides ride and such, not how they are maintained or why parks buy them.