TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Best Family Coaster

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Definitely the Runaway Mine Train at Six Flags Great Adventure. Being relatively tall, but not exactly intimdating; definitely not too long, it doesn't have too many elements to throw at you, but some of the jerkiness can be somewhat thrilling/fun, and the location helps make it pretty memorable to boot! It's a roller coaster for those who just want to have fun!

^Yes, especially Orkanen at FÃ¥rup Sommerland is a really nice family coaster! (that fits within the 40" height limit)

But really, by strestcing the limit to 47" you get one of the very best coasters in the world: Juvelen at Djurs Sommerland! Awesome ride, incredible speed and some nice g's. And albeit the intensity entire families ride it together and thoroughly enjoys it (probably due to it don't looking very intimidating)

• 5 months later...

Bump! Has anyone ridden any good family coasters lately?

I'm trying to figure out the kinds of coasters that have mass appeal, and family coasters seem to fit the bill. Plus, I'm absolutely nuts for Firechaser Express now, so...

Are there any really good family coasters (besides the above, ahem) that are super-fun for people like us but are accessible (read: NOT intimidating) to children?

I'm not sure I would consider Powder Keg a family coaster. Blaring sirens, compressed air launch, big drop at the end? Seems intimidating. I know some of us like to consider Verboten a family coaster, but it really isn't one either.

Definitely Jaguar! at Knott's. It just has such a unique... personality..? ..character..? Its just so cool how much it interacts with the entire area, and threads the loop of Montezuma's Revenge. Very integrated into the park. It really could be tied with Monty as my second favorite coaster in the park, obviously behind Xcellerator.

Also Superdooperlooper at Hershey, fantastic coaster for the whole family, and a great first looping coaster for the kids.

I also predict once the Revolution becomes the New Revolution, it will be at the top of this list. Such a long, graceful layout of sweeping turns, terrain hugging, and a pretty damn forceful loop. Cannot wait to see this classic, iconic coaster restored to its former glory.

Yeah, SDC advertises Powder Keg as a family coaster, and it has a 42" minimum height, but it's pretty intense. More intense than Wildfire.

I rode Steel Lasso this past summer and I thought it was a great family coaster. I rode several times with both my son and older daughter. My son usually goes for the more intense rides (relatively, he hasn't quite hit 48" yet) and my daughter definitely does not. Both of them loved Steel Lasso. So a definite hit there.

^Yes, especially Orkanen at FÃ¥rup Sommerland is a really nice family coaster! (that fits within the 40" height limit)...

I immediately thought of Orkanen too. The small suspended coaster at Movie Park Germany was also a good family coaster, to me.

739506395_ResizeofIMG_5146.JPG.db5083acf75539410f1944bd0933474f.JPG

Orkanen, Farup Sommerland. TPR 2014 Scandi Tour.

F_01AtomicFlyer_MovieParkGermany.jpg.d022fa00fd1b153d60c3217176de3bf7.jpg

Atomic Flyer, Movie Park Germany. TPR 2008 Europe Tour.

Edited by Nrthwnd

I'm not sure I would consider Powder Keg a family coaster. Blaring sirens, compressed air launch, big drop at the end? Seems intimidating. I know some of us like to consider Verboten a family coaster, but it really isn't one either.

My 8 year old daughter isn't too keen on coasters yet, but she seemed to really like Verbolten. I think moreso because it didn't go too high.......until the end by which time she was kind of enjoynig it.