TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Today's Burning Question! Theme Parks or Amusement Parks?

Theme Parks or Amusement Parks?  

147 members have voted

1. 1. Theme Parks or Amusement Parks?

• Theme Parks
    • Amusement Parks

I went with theme parks. Theming means everything to me. My favorite theme parks do not necessary have my favorite rides or coasters. What they do have is an atmosphere in the whole park that takes me away. For an example, I like Animal Kingdom because it has so many great themed areas. Course now it has a great coaster but I liked it even before.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Amusement park. I would rather have an awesome ride without a theme rather than real pathetic ride with great theming.

I'd ride "Peter Pan" over and over forever it was a choice between that and "NTAG" or "Iron Rattler" or even "XCellerator"

same is true for "Winne the Pooh"

Theming is so much more important than anything else (heck, just look at the difference that was just made in Dumbo. Moving it and adding to the theming improved a great flat ride, into a BRILLIANT ride.

Amusement parks, primarily for the coasters, but its more about the quality of the park than type that matters to me.

I cannot visit LA & not do both Magic Mountain & Disney, but can skip Knotts & Universal.

Would i go to an unthemed Busch park with the same coasters?

Hell yea!

Edited by therooboy

I grew up going to amusement parks. To me they were special because they were more accessible for my friends and I. Theme parks are awesome as well, but I have more fond memories tied to parks like Coney Island, Santa Cruz, SFMM, Knotts and Kennywood. I'm also one of those people who even at theme parks run straight for the coasters and little else. For me, this one isn't even close.

Edited by Manic Monte

^I'm not arguing with your preference, but I would still classify Knott's as a "theme park."

as I said in my response, parts of Knott's still work as a Theme Park (particularly Ghost Town, and Camp Snoopy). Maybe once they get the boardwalk up and running, that section will work as well. . but it IS majority Amusement park, I'd say.

My vote went with theme parks. I love when you enter a theme park such as a Disney property and you're just immersed in the land and what the park is trying to convey. Every little detail in theme parks is seriously thought about and it just makes the experience of going to one that much better.

Don't get me wrong, I love a good amusement park with some world class roller coasters. But, when it comes down to it, I want my experience as a whole to be enjoyable, not just one or two rides.

Amusement park. I would rather have an awesome ride without a theme rather than real pathetic ride with great theming.

Let's look at something like Disneyland's Space Mountain. In my opinion the layout really isn't all that impressive but it becomes an awesome ride due to the darkness and overall "ambiance" of Space, making it an amazing ride. I mean even something like California Screamin, which isn't too heavily themed(unless you cont the wood inspired supports as theming, which I do) fits in with the environment and boardwalk area making it a better ride.

Let's look at parks like USF or IOA or even WDW to a degree. Say you were to remove the Mummy's theming or Rock N Roller coasters theming, you would still have a fairly solid ride, but in no way would it be as good as it was with the theming. I said theme parks, environments are cool and I like to walk around and see things, for example I can go to Disneyland nearly weekly and not get bored at all, but I go to Knotts twice a year, once for WCB and once for haunt. I go to SFMM once a year. I like roller coasters, I really really really like roller coasters, but the parks(in terms of the corporate chains) are not as well run, the staffs are slower and not as professional, and the atmosphere often leaves a lot to be desired. Good roller coasters are AWESOME but I can only ride them so many times before I grow tired, but the little details in theme parks or on theme park rides(I have been on haunted mansion probably a hundred times and I am sure I haven't seen every single thing) are what keep me coming back.

Just a question for all those who seem to be really negatively against "theme parks" - do you realize that "theming" isn't just scenery you walk around and look at? I mean, think about a park like Epcot, it's one of the top five most visited parks in the world and there isn't a single "roller coaster" in the park. It's all themed attractions, dining, shopping, and experiences.

So all those people who are really against theming, do you not like parks such as Epcot? I'm just wondering.

--Robb "Kind of surprised to hear so many people vocally against theme parks here, considering we are THEME PARK Review!" Alvey

100% right and I'm not "against" a theme park at all. They are a great experience!

Look at Busch Gardens Williamsburg, helluva place.

Just simply, they tend to not have as many rides/quality ones and that is what a park is about for me.

And between a really great looking and themed park that's not as good, or a drab park that has better and more rides, well as it's been said not paying for theme!

I enjoy both types of park, but I feel like theme parks offer a better day out. Good theming can do wonders to an otherwise unremarkable ride. Shows are a great way to take a breather from the queue/ride/queue/ride cycle. And there's a great sense of escapism that you don't get from an amusement park.