TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

New B&M trains on Steel Dragon

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^That is correct. I was originally referring to Wild Thing, Steel Force, and Mamba. Phantom's Revenge was started by Arrow, but the reprofiling was done by Morgan. (Although the trains do still seem to resemble Arrow trains more than Morgan ones. They might be all new, but it seems like they kept them closer to an Arrow design). Magnum, though I did not address it as not being a Morgan, has a very similar layout to many Morgan hypers, and, as a result, it seems like an Arrow could receive B&M trains if that is what the park really wanted.

I apologize. I seen "Cedar Fair" and "Magnum" in your original post, and put that together as the CP Arrows.

Mamba trains weren't bad, it was just boring! They slow the trains to a crawl on the MCBR, and the second half of the ride is just boring.

Typically, B&M trains are heavier than other companies trains. This being a shorter train, I am not so sure. I am sure that B&M was informed about the wind problem they were having with the old trains, and took this into consideration.

B&M trains are the best trains on the market, and I think every hyper coaster should have them, even Intamin hypers. (Although Intamin does make better layouts, B&M makes superior trains)

I would love to see other Morgan coasters, such as the Cedar Fair Morgan trio, receive these trains. They have potential to be very solid rides, but the coffin trains do hinder the experience. Although I do like Phantom's Revenge's trains, just about anything would be an improvement over Magnum's trains. However, some of the annoying CP fanboys would probably kick and scream about ruining a classic to make it a good ride.

I don't give a crap about the trains on an old ride. WILD THING IS BUMPY! B&M makeover FTW.

How I would love to see new trains on Wild Thing at VF, the ones currently running are huge.

and clunky, and unaerodynamic, and ugly. Bleech! Awful trains on a pretty good ride, for 1996

If it isn't broken, there's no reason to fix it.

SD2000's trains were a problem. A wheel was ejected into the water park off one of the trains mid-ride. Japan has some of the strictest amusement park upkeep laws in the world due to the horrible accident on Fujin Rajin II in 2008 at Expoland. The park was then closed. The spinning coaster at LaQua was removed very quickly after someone fell from one of its ride vehicles. Thunder Dolphin is still closed due to maintenance issues (falling screw? last time I checked).

These B&M trains were probably the easier way for Nagashima to keep SD2000 running. The existing Morgan trains were a problem, so they were removed.

^ But the wheel fell off in 2003, and the ride re-opened in 2006. If they needed to get new trains because of that accident, wouldn't they have done it when the ride was closed for three years, and not seven years after it reopens? Or done it two years later after the Fujin Rajin accident happened? While I don't doubt that the accident wasn't part of the reason for the new trains, I don't see how they couldn't keep it open with the Morgan trains as they've done for seven years after the incident.

^^ Its Asian culture, they dont like to sit on wet or dirty seats (I remember in Everland and Lotte World in South Korea in which they would use a squiegee to clean the seats on the log flumes).

I have to disagree and say I would much prefer Wild Thing to keep its current trains. They are some of the smoothest rolling stock around, and really only provide one whippy transition. They've held up really well and have kept the ride running great.

I know most of B&M's coasters run pretty smooth, but there are some like Diamondback, that feel like they are running on Octagonal wheels. The "B&M Rattle" I believe they call it. I'd rather keep the current trains over risking a rough ride a few years after new trains were installed.

But 'Dat Openess! Mmmm, that would be nice!

That's one of the slowest restraint checks ever, and Why do they clean the seats off?

Those shin bars look much bigger than I originally anticipated from the pictures!

That second train came back empty, so I assume that they were doing maintenance checks on it.

Here's a video of the new trains

I was just watching this video when I noticed how massive the running wheels in these trains are (it's very clear on 2:55). Much larger than they usually are in other B&M trains (apart from the diving machine ones). At least they appear to be.

Those things look absolutely amazing. I was noticing the wheels as well; why are the road wheels so large and why does the whole wheel assemble look so awkward? It looks like the wheels are just attached to the train and aren't integrated like all other B&M trains.

Yeah, these are looking like completely different chassis. The bogeys I think maybe are slightly larger, maybe that could of been the flaw with the original ones. I still think B&M did an awesome job with these trains on a coaster that's had such a troubled past.

I'm assuming the larger chassis are to be safe, considering B&M did not design the forces on the ride so they might as well just keep the wheels the same size to be safe. They look pretty normal, it's just usually B&M wheels are much more covered up. They're quite exposed.

• 2 weeks later...