TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

New B&M trains on Steel Dragon

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I bet they want 8 clicks on the damn things though, like Shambhala. These restraints aren't so great for people who are pear shaped. Interested to see how that seatbelt and leg restraints feel though. Hopefully it will be an improvement.

The height limits went from above 130 cm with the old trains, to 140 - 185 cm, yes you read right, not only did they raise the lower limit which means that some have to wait a bit longer to ride it, but they put a very low upper limit (lover than Atlantis Adventure even), so sorry tall people. Wonder how strict they are though, Lotte World is very strict, there might be a chance that Nagashima Spaland may be as well

Source is the ride page at: http://www.nagashima-onsen.co.jp

If true on the new height limits, I'm glad I got to ride it when I did.

The trains look like an improvement, though I don't like the look of the shin restraints.

B&M trains are the best trains on the market, and I think every hyper coaster should have them, even Intamin hypers. (Although Intamin does make better layouts, B&M makes superior trains)

I would love to see other Morgan coasters, such as the Cedar Fair Morgan trio, receive these trains. They have potential to be very solid rides, but the coffin trains do hinder the experience. Although I do like Phantom's Revenge's trains, just about anything would be an improvement over Magnum's trains. However, some of the annoying CP fanboys would probably kick and scream about ruining a classic to make it a good ride.

I am an "annoying CP fanboy" and I'm proud!

All fanboying aside, the "bash bars" on Magnum can be a bit painful, but I love the feeling. It's borderline safe, it feels like you're going to fly out. It adds to the sheer thrill of the ride. Plus, they just don't make rides like Maggie anymore - the coathanger hills are probably going to be extinct in the near future. That's sad, because Magnum has some of the best airtime hills I've been on. Magnum has insane airtime, and that's why it is still such a good ride after almost 25 years. If they did put B&M trains on it, I hope that they wouldn't staple.

The trains look great and I think this is the first B&M train with 2-abreast seating (other than the Psyclone trains).

The only problem is the 6' 1" height limit is very low. Now, I can't go on it, but there's better coasters in Japan.

This is interesting, I would have never thought that B&M would be the ones to replace the trains. Lets hope the ride is more thrilling now than it was before.

Also the man who siad Steel Dragon put Morgan out of bussiness it didnt, they built Superman el Último Escape at SFM in 2002 (opened in 2004 due to government red tape) and bought Chance Rides out shortly after to become Chance Morgan.

The heartline on the new trains looks to be higher than the old ones. If that's the case, it would explain the addition of the maximum height restriction - aren't there some pretty tight clearances?

Also the man who said Steel Dragon put Morgan out of business it didn't, they built Superman el Último Escape at SFM in 2002 (opened in 2004 due to government red tape) and bought Chance Rides out shortly after to become Chance Morgan.

Well, it was part of the reason why Morgan went into bankruptcy. Cost the company more than they originally thought and $52mil was the most ever spent on a coaster up until Expedition Everest when Disney spent $100mil on that. Morgan went under in 2001, not long after they began work on Superman at SFM and just completed work on the Steel Phantom to Phantom's Revenge transformation. Also need to remember that even though a coaster says it opens in 2002, it was really started to be manufactured the previous year.

Michael Chance, the grandson of the founder of Chance Rides, acquired Morgan's assets after they went under with help of a few investors. Then Chance Morgan was formed in June 2001, which picked up the work on Superman el Último Escape, so technically, Morgan started on it, but Chance Morgan finished it.

To put it simply, Chance Morgan and Chance Rides Manufacturing were 2 separate companies with Chance Morgan selling the rides for Chance Rides Manufacturing. Then in 2011 as part of the 50th anniversary of Chance Rides, the companies "merged" and are now all under the Chance Rides name.

Very complicated history, believe me!

-----

I'm still very impressed that B&M pulled this off. Just too bad that I won't be able to ride this coaster now due to the height limit at 6'1".

Big and clunky as they are, I've always found the Morgan Hyper trains to be quite comfortable; however, I think the B&M trains could make Steel Dragon a better ride.

The trains look great and I think this is the first B&M train with 2-abreast seating (other than the Psyclone trains).

The only problem is the 6' 1" height limit is very low. Now, I can't go on it, but there's better coasters in Japan.

I agree and i might be able to squeeze under the height limit but it would be close. Although lets be honest here, 6' 1" isn't going to be much of a problem for the locals.

I agree and I might be able to squeeze under the height limit but it would be close. Although lets be honest here, 6' 1" isn't going to be much of a problem for the locals.
I think that the limit may cause issues among a lot of young Japanese males. The Japanese isn't as short as many believe.

Well that was unexpected. Those trains are certainly better than the old ones. Still, I find it a bit strange to see a B&M train seating 2 across. I also find rather odd how low the height limit is as there are quite a few tall Japanese people (as some have already said).

I'll bet the seats are more elevated than on the old trains making the clearance level lower. Considering I'm slightly over 6'1", I really don't think I'd be able to ride. On looks, I'd still say there are better giga-coasters right here in America - so I'm not too beat up about that.

Well that was unexpected. Those trains are certainly better than the old ones. Still, I find it a bit strange to see a B&M train seating 2 across. I also find rather odd how low the height limit is as there are quite a few tall Japanese people (as some have already said).

The height limit and the fact that it have 2 across seating with shin restraints all point toward one thing, getting the new train through the clearence envelope that the old ones had.

On the old ones you more or less sat at the same level as the loading platform, inside a large box that kept you legs inside at all time. Now these seats are well over a foot and a half taller and wide open to the elements, so they would have to make some compromises somewhere to get them to work.

The question though is where exactly are the locations for these tight spaces that require this small clearance profile, the tunnels or at the crossover points at the turnaround? If it's the tunnels then just remove them, they don't really add anything in my view.