TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

New B&M trains on Steel Dragon

Steel-Dragon-Nagashima-002.jpg.6dcec3534c1f026e4248f2f5a0491105.jpg

Here's the artwork

What do you think about the new B&M trains on Steel Dragon? I'm personally very surprised. I never thought that B&M could make a trains for a Morgan coaster! :O

th720_2a22695226e9e594a02b497c98ffa7ba.jpg.6428f071fa6524238450233daca6abb4.jpg

The front of the new trains is like most of the B&M hipers

th720_ef647a40692359b1b9979202d291103a.jpg.6433ce713e33d931f6104657d8db468e.jpg

As you can see, the the train has also the old Morgan wheels and assembly

th720_040902fdf8385fa0b29f31c3562b84be.jpg.b8f95bb5855ac62de554d4ba1ea3c4bd.jpg

Remember the old trains?

th720_03253bed243e93b530c20b4154d3dd9f.jpg.9f2e019e63ebb03e640d7bad34edd3ef.jpg

This is how it looks now. Pretty nice, isn't it?

Edited by Trevor

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

This isn't a TOGO, it's a Morgan. This was basically the coaster that caused Morgan to go into bankruptcy, due to the $50mil price tag of all of the steel supports to make it up to the earthquake code.

I'm kind of surprised that B&M did this, but the results look completely awesome! Wonder if this is something B&M is looking into, making replacement trains for non B&M coasters. The original Morgan trains were lemons anyways and luckily with it SBNO for those 3 years, kept them on there a bit longer until they could get proper replacements.

^ Interesting that B&M did this.. It certainly does leave you wondering if they have plans to make replacement trains for other non B&M coasters as you mentioned. I would love to see B&M trains on Magnum XL-200 at CP or Phantom's Revenge at Kennywood. The resulting B&M train definitely looks great! I'm sure it rides way better than those old Morgan trains too.

I imagine that TPR will be hitting this on their Japan Trip, so I'm hoping that we get a review of the new trains once they do ride it. B&M is surprising me this year with backwards rows on some of their coasters and now new trains for a coaster they never worked on before.

B&M trains are the best trains on the market, and I think every hyper coaster should have them, even Intamin hypers. (Although Intamin does make better layouts, B&M makes superior trains)

I would love to see other Morgan coasters, such as the Cedar Fair Morgan trio, receive these trains. They have potential to be very solid rides, but the coffin trains do hinder the experience. Although I do like Phantom's Revenge's trains, just about anything would be an improvement over Magnum's trains. However, some of the annoying CP fanboys would probably kick and scream about ruining a classic to make it a good ride.

I would love to see other Morgan coasters, such as the Cedar Fair Morgan trio, receive these trains. They have potential to be very solid rides, but the coffin trains do hinder the experience. Although I do like Phantom's Revenge's trains, just about anything would be an improvement over Magnum's trains.

Definitely agreed. I wouldn't go so far as to say that new trains could be marketed as a new experience, but they would certainly breathe a lot of new life into older rides that actually could be very good.

Keep in mind the track system, and therefore the chassis, of Steel Dragon 2000 differs significantly from other Morgan rides. I'm sure B&M could work something out if any parks with Morgan rides wanted to replace their trains, but it might be a bit more complicated to do so.

I wonder if B&M intends to offer trains for other coasters as a catalog item, or strictly by customer request only.

Yeah, unfortunately with the rest of Morgan's and Arrow's hypers, the track rails are on the inside of the track versus on the outside like Steel Dragon. B&M's wheel system is very bulky and look even bulkier on these new trains, so they'd have to reconfigure it to fit it on the inside of the track. These trains could also be a prototype for a much slimmer B&M train for smaller coasters that don't need the massive capacity B&M coasters normally have.

I really love the fact that this have been done. Sure the old trains were really nice the high sides made it a comfortable place to be, but in a sense made the ride less thrilling, which is why SD2K felt like a very large family ride. So these trains should add a bit more thrill to the experience.

But there is a backside to this, which may disappoint some people.

The height limits went from above 130 cm with the old trains, to 140 - 185 cm, yes you read right, not only did they raise the lower limit which means that some have to wait a bit longer to ride it, but they put a very low upper limit (lower than Atlantis Adventure even), so sorry tall people. Wonder how strict they are though, Lotte World is very strict, there might be a chance that Nagashima Spaland may be as well

Source is the ride page at: http://www.nagashima-onsen.co.jp

Edited by Loefet

I would love to see other Morgan coasters, such as the Cedar Fair Morgan trio, receive these trains. They have potential to be very solid rides, but the coffin trains do hinder the experience. Although I do like Phantom's Revenge's trains, just about anything would be an improvement over Magnum's trains. However, some of the annoying CP fanboys would probably kick and scream about ruining a classic to make it a good ride.

I think they would be a huge improvement, but I HIGHLY doubt Magnum is even a candidate for these new trains. I don't think B&M trains can handle the ejector airtime that Magnum delivers, where Steel Dragon (I'm assuming) looks like its pacing and forces are on par with a B&M hyper coaster.

Steel Dragon is a bit of an anomaly in the Morgan family, having its rails on the outside of the track.

The trains themselves seem very wide and with a lot of unused space. I wonder if they would have done two rows of three seats?

As for the seat belts - they don't look like they were installed at the factory. Both the seat belts and the lower leg restraints look like they were retrofitted.

As for the seat belts - they don't look like they were installed at the factory. Both the seat belts and the lower leg restraints look like they were retrofitted.

Didn't notice the lower leg restraints. Ick!

Didn't see this coming, but definitely good news for both parties. B&M really are the best in the business when it comes to those hyper coaster trains.

From what I hear about Japan, they are really strict on safety there so I'm wondering if Nagashima Spa Land was required by the government to put those in.