TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

I want to play RCT again - should I choose 2 or 3?

I used to play RCT for hours every day around 10 years ago and haven't really played much since. I had RCT 1 and got really excited when RCT 2 came out and I loved it. When 3 came out I hated it out of principle because it was too real so never bought it.

Should I just get over it and start playing RCT 3 (with the added bonus of new stuff I've never seen before) or is it really disappointing so I should get 2 and complete that again?

Thanks!

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I could tell you that, but then I'd be lying. That said, you should bring that park back over here sometime. I know you restarted it recently, and your work is top notch.

As for the OP, they both have their good and bad features. I personally play RCT3 more than 2, mainly because I really hate the limitations that you can do with the CS (fixed number of objects) with it. RCT3 on the other hand lets you use as much as you want, but you can ruin your own framerate if you're not careful.

You can't go wrong either way.

If we were talking about just the base games here id say they're evenly matched, but with several years' worth of custom scenery and rides, RCT3 wins hands down. I still like to play RCT2 from time to time but RCT3 is the one I always come back to and download new additions for.

I think that if you can bother with custom scenery and stuff like that, then you should go for RCT3. Just remeber though, that Tomes is extremely good at this, and it will take a LOT of time to master it and get that good. It's also VERY time consuming, so if you just want to get into a game and just play for the fun of it, you should choose the other one. It's much more rewarding for a beginner and looks good without all the custom scenery and (atleast to me) more fun to play.

Basically:

RCT3 + custom scenery + a lot of time = Realism and beauty

RCT2 (or RCT1 for that matter) + less time + ideas = fun

All of this is a personal opinion ofcourse, others might say something else. Hope this helps, anyway, have fun playing whatever game you choose.

I think that if you can bother with custom scenery and stuff like that, then you should go for RCT3. Just remeber though, that Tomes is extremely good at this, and it will take a LOT of time to master it and get that good. It's also VERY time consuming, so if you just want to get into a game and just play for the fun of it, you should choose the other one. It's much more rewarding for a beginner and looks good without all the custom scenery and (atleast to me) more fun to play.

Basically:

RCT3 + custom scenery + a lot of time = Realism and beauty

RCT2 (or RCT1 for that matter) + less time + ideas = fun

All of this is a personal opinion ofcourse, others might say something else. Hope this helps, anyway, have fun playing whatever game you choose.

You can still have fun in RCT3 though. It doesn't always take long either.

^ This.

As for the other replies I had to delete.....everyone has an opinion. No need to bash. And do not report posts like that as spam. Totally unecessary, and more work for the mods.

My post was a joke because I made the sign for him

My post was a joke because I made the sign for him

Someone else didn't think it was, so they reported the post.....*sigh*

We're all good.

In any case, IMO RCT2 is a great game to get back into. It's easy to figure out, there's a lot of scenery (including some custom stuff), and it's easy on your PC.

RCT3 is what I had always hoped for with the 3D engine, etc. I love digging in and building....really building! And seeing your creation in 1st person can't be equalled. It's just a resource hog if you've got an older PC (like I do). So, if you've got a beast of a PC, I'd go for RCT3.

People seem to think that RCT3 is the only game that can made to be realistic and to look good. RCT2 has the same amount of custom objects moreorless, and with a bit of patience can be made to be as realistic as possible. Some people just haven't seen enough hyper-realistic parks to decide that.

I recently got back into RCT myself and it just so happened I found my copy of rct2 in a stack of old cds. I like 2 for the classic rct feel and the simplicity, at least what I see as simplicity. I have played 3 a few times and Im not sure if I didn't have the right mindset or something else, but it just felt...off. I will say though that I am going to give it another look after seeing what the game is now capable of.

When I played RCT3, all I did was like the theme. But I am more of a classics person, so I'm choosing the play of 2. It gives you an easier oppurtunity when making custom flats.

RCT2 has the same amount of custom objects moreorless, and with a bit of patience can be made to be as realistic as possible. Some people just haven't seen enough hyper-realistic parks to decide that.

nin makes a great point here.