TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Least favorite coaster element.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

* Most transitions on Arrows, Vekomas, and Japanese built coasters. These companies should avoid making turns. You're going through a nice straightaway or some drops, but then you see a turn coming, and there's some abomination of engineering connecting the two. Yay. Brace for impact.

* Helices. There are some very good ones, especially if they have banking, but usually I just find them to be boring (SROS @ SFA & Darien Lake, Apocalypse @ SFMM, former Rattler) or unpleasant (Ghostrider).

* Cobra Rolls / Boomerangs. There seems to be a fair consensus here that these are rarely a good idea. On the other hand, I do like the Sea Serpent on Medusa West, since you don't have the transition between the two half corkscrews, but I guess it isn't as useful of a ride element, since it doesn't work as a turnaround.

My main two are cobra rolls and corkscrews. I'm yet to find a corkscrew element I enjoy, irrespective of the manufacturer.

* Most transitions on Arrows, Vekomas, and Japanese built coasters. These companies should avoid making turns. You're going through a nice straightaway or some drops, but then you see a turn coming, and there's some abomination of engineering connecting the two. Yay. Brace for impact.

To be fair, a lot of the Arrows in particular were built before computer modeling could be used to smooth the transitions. I know at one point on Loch Ness Monster the construction team had to physically hammer a piece of track six inches to the right to make it line up properly. The design and manufacturing technology has come a very long way in the last decade or two.

I have to echo the disdain for lift hills that lead to the station (Adventure Express @ KI I'm looking at you) and mid-course brake runs, but what about poorly placed trims (Raging Bull!) and worse yet my absolute enemy, the trick track! I know there's not many examples anymore but to me it's what kills Shivering Timbers, an otherwise world-class woodie. That section signals the beginning of one of the roughest finishes ever: The trick track jerk side to side followed by some harrowing off-the-rails bunny air into the the most spine-hammering wooden helix ever. I'll still ride it each visit, but ONCE.

• 2 months later...
The Cobra Roll. With a very few exceptions, i find the transition in the middle to be very jarring, especially when taken backwards.

I've found that the larger cobra rolls (e.g., Dominator) are much smoother than the smaller ones (e.g., Alpengeist).

Least favorite would have to be that stupid batwing thing on Viper after the brake run. It's terrible, particularly the transitions into and out of the element. The ride can be considered very ridable if that thing wasn't there. I think if Viper ever gets removed because the ride is too rough, it's going to be either directly or indirectly a result of that stupid thing.

The Cobra Roll. With a very few exceptions, i find the transition in the middle to be very jarring, especially when taken backwards.

I've found that the larger cobra rolls (e.g., Dominator) are much smoother than the smaller ones (e.g., Alpengeist).

I haven't ridden it since 2002, but good lord Alpengeist's was bad. I remember my head being bashed into the side of the OTSR during the first inversion.

I haven't ridden it since 2002, but good lord Alpengeist's was bad. I remember my head being bashed into the side of the OTSR during the first inversion.

It seems to me that's Alpengeist's cobra roll is better than it used to be--or maybe I just know what to expect, so I brace myself.

Dominator's cokscrews have given me a few good shots to the jaw.

Edited by cfc

I have to echo the disdain for lift hills that lead to the station (Adventure Express @ KI I'm looking at you) and mid-course brake runs, but what about poorly placed trims (Raging Bull!) and worse yet my absolute enemy, the trick track! I know there's not many examples anymore but to me it's what kills Shivering Timbers, an otherwise world-class woodie. That section signals the beginning of one of the roughest finishes ever: The trick track jerk side to side followed by some harrowing off-the-rails bunny air into the the most spine-hammering wooden helix ever. I'll still ride it each visit, but ONCE.

On Shivering Timbers it's not the trick track that's the problem, it's the pot hole after the trick track that destroys your back.

• 1 month later...
For me, Corkscrew are the worst. An exception would be Viper @SFMM IF you know which seat to ride in.

A corkscrew could be good, if done right. A lot of times there may be a rough or uncomfortable lead in, or the element itself my just be rough. Intamin and B&M corkscrews are GENERALLY pretty good.