TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Least favorite coaster element.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm fine with most 'helex of death' elements, and actually like them 'cause of their strings. 1 I don't like, however, is the helix on Skyrider @ Canada's wonderland... It's the roughest part of the ride, and the HS always seem to hurt my right leg. Other than that, however, the ride's actually really good cpnsidering it's a 28 year old TOGO standup.

^^^^ That looks like something straight out of the Saw series...

I'm glad I don't have that credit for once.

I agree. It could probably use new paint. They should be able to afford that since a single ride is $14..... Or, better yet, you can have a wedding on the coaster for $700!

http://newyorknewyork.com/content_cache_of_server_query_response/li/attractions_3.html

I don't have a least favorite - the big factor that makes or break an element is the execution by the engineers. As far as Arrow and cobra rolls, I don't recall seeing anyone properly clarify here. I believe Arrow called it a Batwing, and it was only on Drachen Fire. Someone correct me if I am wrong.

Speaking of cobra rolls...by far my favorite element - the one on Alpengeist takes the #1 spot.

The few that come to mind:

Beyond vertical drops- I don't dislike them, I just don't see much of a different sensation-wise from drops that are vertical, or even some steeper drops that are less then vertical. On top of that, many of these beyond vertical drops are trimmed.

90 degree banking

Splash Down track sections

These 3 elements really seem to exist more for people waiting in line/passing by, or for inclusion in the press release when the ride is announced for the purpose of generating hype. I don't necessarily dislike them, I just don't think they really add anything to a ride.

Honorable Mention goes to Pretzel Loops and reverse-launches.

^I'm kind of surprised how many people disagree with me; I for one absolutely love 90 degree banks (Riddler's Revenge's 85 degree bank before the mcbr is one of my favorite moments on any ride ever), reverse launches (The Mummy in USO did this perfectly), and beyond vertical drops (Maverick still has my favorite first drop title).

I'm a big fan of B&M inverts, but one thing I've noticed on many is that there's a point where seems like B&M simply "connected the dots" to complete the course. On Raptor it's going from one corkscrew to the other. Pyrenees has a long shallow ramp after the corkscrews. Even Montu had a boring turn that made you scratch your head.

That weird transition into a corkscrew on Arrow loopers, where your body is flung to the side. Apparently they didn't think it over too much when designing them.

Yes, what I've noticed on those Arrow loopers in that they seem to have -relativiely- smooth elements, but transitions between those elements are rough, uncomfortable, and throw you around a lot.

• 3 months later...

I really hate hills and bumps that don't go upside down. The fun of a roller coaster, for me, is the twisting and turning and flipping. And besides, it sometimes feels really dangerous at the top of the hill. It feels like you're going to fly out of your seat. That's why I don't like big coasters that don't go upside down, except Millennium Force.

I'm not real crazy about simple vertical loops these days. I know that back in the 70's and into the 80's the vertical loop was the main selling point on many steel coasters, and it had quite a bit of shock value in those days, so I can see why they were immensely popular. However, these elements really do nothing for me (in fact, I sometimes find myself closing my eyes upon entering a loop just to ward off occasional dizziness) and I find them rather boring. However, the flip side is that vertical loops are perhaps the most painless inversions when they are found on Arrows and Vekomas (one reason why I consider LNM at BGE to be my favorite Arrow looper, since it has no other inversions besides the two vertical loops).

I also have a love/hate relationship with corkscrews - if they are well-executed (normally found on some Intamins and most B&Ms) and have no head-banging I love them, and sometimes (in the case of the Volcano at KD) they are my favorite part of the ride. But, if they are found on Arrows and Vekomas, I dread them, since they are sure to be loaded with ear-smashing pain. I am also very leery of the ones now found on a few woodies, like Outlaw Run and Hades 360, as I will be riding the latter this summer and I fear neck-snapping pain in those elements, having turned off to loops on woodies thanks to SOB.

Speaking of woodies, there is an element found mostly on out-and-backs that I don't care for (but I suppose needs to be there, or at least the designers thought it did when these older coasters were built decades ago) - the flat, un-banked turn-around. Some coasters take this to excess and it gets rather boring just going around a curve (boring at best, fighting uncomfortable lateral centrifugal forces at worst if the ride is rough to begin with) for a good length of the track.

Also, any inverted element on a steel coaster that causes serious head-banging is anything but a favorite in my book.