TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Roughest coaster

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

- #1 is mean streak. yuck. such a pretty profile. such a terrible ride.

- i didn't think drachen fire was THAT rough. i remember thinking mind eraser (cookie cutter vekoma slc) was worse.

- having said that, almost all arrow loopers are bad. i know of only two exceptions: nessie, and tennessee tornado.

- speaking of arrow....i would just like to take this moment and commit coaster enthusiast blasphemy and say i hated magnum XL-200. it feels like the whole thing was poorly engineered: the banking is all wrong on all of its turns, making it absurdly rough. it's a badly-designed 200-foot mine train coaster. if it had OTSRs, it would bash people unconscious.

- vekoma slc's

- the Flight of Fears back when they had OTSR's. OUCH.

- Hurler. it sucks, plus it gets additional points deducted because its construction eliminated much of the forest around the Grizzly.

I have to agree with you on Tennessee Tornado, which is my favorite(and only) Arrow Looper. However, I found Magnum really smooth. I mean, come on, it's 21 years old, give it some props, ha ha. The only part of that ride which I thought was the closest to being rough was the turnaround, and even that wasn't that bad. Just my opinion, though.

Any vekoma slc for me, except some. Especially Kong at sfdk! I hate that ride so so much! I bruised my shoulder on that.

My list:

Kong at sfdk

Grizzly at cga

Ghostrider at knotts

Demon at cga

Manhattan Express

oh and Revolution at sfmm

After a 12 year absence, I finally made my triumphant return to Kings Island last week. I was most surprised to find out that The Beast now ranks as the roughest coaster I've been on. Previously, either Timberwolf at WoF or The Voyage (In it's current PTC state) at HW were in the lead for that title.

I rode it twice (mid-afternoon/hot temps). The first ride was "quite bumpy" but not out of acceptable limits. The second ride however was almost unbearable. I'm a smaller guy so I can maneuver pretty well to find a comfortable position on even the roughest rides. But there was not sweet spot that second ride. In fact, while I was changing riding positions to ease the roughness, the ride jarred again and slammed my elbow right into my lower ribcage area which knocked the wind out of me. That made things even worse. I couldn't wait to get off that ride and I felt sorry for unseasoned riders who don't know preferable riding techniques. I was killed even though I used them.

Again, given The Beast's legendary reputation I was stunned at the brutality of my rides. Maybe it was just bad luck/timing/seats or perhaps the rumors are true and night rides transform it into something better. But I will say that even with the severe beating I received, the final dive/helix finale make it worth it. That section is amazing even with the bumps and is enticing enough to get me back in line for more pain on my next visit.

P.S. I cannot fathom how bad Son of Beast must have been with it's status as the "rough" one.

'The absolute roughest coaster I've been on' easily goes to Ghostrider.

Well, until I went to Six Flags Magic Mountain....

X2 will gladly take that award now, as 'the absolute roughest coaster I've been on'.

It's medieval torture for the 21st century, Arrow Dynamics Style!

When a thread is this long, I suppose I must make a contribution...

Top Three:

1. The Beast, KI. It's to this day the only coaster that has made me bleed. I slammed my elbow on the outer casing of the train, it cut open and the ride ops had to clean everything up when I arrived back at the station.

2. SLCs. I've ridden 5. They are phenomenally bad rides. Worst Part: The turn after the 3rd inversion.

3. Any Herky-Jerky kiddie coasters. These always seem to have poor transitions that are good for a slam or two into the side of the train. Am I right?

^I hate to contradict an opinion but I thought Viper was one of the smoothest Arrows I have ridden. One of my favorites on the mountain.

It's just the stupid head banging that happens in the back, but don't get me wrong, I enjoy it still!

oh and Revolution at sfmm

They need to go back to just the lap bars on that ride!

by djbrcace1234 » Mon Jun 28, 2010 5:01 pm

Drachen Fire

Wow...I'm just curious to know how old you were when you rode Drachen Fire to claim it was one of your roughest coasters? Being that it closed in 1998, you must have been about five or six when you rode it during it during it's final season? I would think that it would have been rough (and probably terrifying) at that age!

- speaking of arrow....i would just like to take this moment and commit coaster enthusiast blasphemy and say i hated magnum XL-200. it feels like the whole thing was poorly engineered: the banking is all wrong on all of its turns, making it absurdly rough. it's a badly-designed 200-foot mine train coaster. if it had OTSRs, it would bash people unconscious.

I think I might have to join you in a bit of blasphemy. I'm really not a huge fan of Magnum...I just don't get why it's so revered. I mean, I understand that it's the first hyper in the world, and it's got some significant, wild airtime. However, I agree that it's poorly designed. Yes the banking is all wrong. Furthermore, that first hill always strikes me as pointless...no airtime, just slowly going over a big hill *yawns*. The bunny hops at the end would be much better if the lap bars had WAY more padding, something along the lines of several pillows. Still, if I'm at the Point, I'm riding it (but only if it's a walk-on, which it frequently is).

-Doug "Millie craps all over Maggie" Heim

^

I still don't think it is anywhere near the roughest coaster though - SON OF BEAST. Even without the loop.

That loop was the only smooth part of that ride. The loop had nothing to do with the roughness, it was those crappy rose bowls that take up half the ride.

Mean Streak is tame to me compared to something like SoB or even those damned death machines that are SLC's.

The Beast is supposed to be a little rough, that is the whole point IMHO. My mother had the best saying for this when she didn't even know the name (she's a bit slow since the name is pretty much told to you several times), Crazed Beast. Believe it or not, she didnt believe me that the correct name was The Beast.

SlCs definitely take the cake from the coasters I've been on, but Mean Streak isn't far behind. The SLC restraints don't really accommodate to the type of ride it is, as the restraints at SFNE feel like a brick wall. I'd rather have the neck-chopping of a normal otsr system than that ear-bashing, but that'd probably be deadly on an SLC