TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Roughest coaster

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm surprised Ghost Rider doesn't get mentioned more in this category. I've seen a few people here mention it, but not many. For me it's the only coaster I've ever been on where I literally couldn't wait for it to end because my head felt like it was gonna split. Then I had a terrible headache for several hours after (and I almost never get headaches from roller coasters). Maybe I just got the wrong seat or something.

The roughest wooden coaster I've ridden isn't SOB or MS, it's Rattler. I've never shouted so many obscenities during one ride as I did on that ride. My back hurt, my head hurt, my legs hurt, and on top of that, it was a piss poor boring ride.

As far as steel is concerned, I would say the roughest I can think of is Ninja at SFoG. That ride is like death on wheels.

Okay I have a new one to add to the list..

LE mo-fuckin' COBRA at La Ronde. It was like a freakin' stand up version of Son of Beast though I expect it would not have been AS bad if I didn't have so many earrings, but either way, it sucked and it's something I'd never go back on.

so, Son of Beast, Cobra, and Wild Beast are the three rides I'd actually consider unenjoyably rough.

I've never been on Mean Streak or SOB but, it's difficult for me to see how a coaster could be worse than Rattler and still be operational. They need to tear it down and put a good woodie on the same beautiful spot.

Mean Streak.

Wildcat at Lake Compounce in the back seat was incredibly bad. Not only was it rough and rattled my head around but it also crunched my spine down the first drop and every drop after that....it was just bad.

And Cyclone at SFNE was rough too.

I've never been on Mean Streak or SOB but, it's difficult for me to see how a coaster could be worse than Rattler and still be operational. They need to tear it down and put a good woodie on the same beautiful spot.

This could be nothing, or it could be everything, but all Rattler merchandise at SFFT is going for extreme discounts. Judging by the history of park merchandise, that only means one thing. Think SOB.

^That would be great if Rattler was to go to that great amusement park in the sky, especially if SFFT would make sure to utilize the quarry wall for another coaster. While Rattler sucks horribly, it is beautiful! I would love to see another wooden coaster in its place only built better of course.

That being said, my roughest coaster award does go to Rattler. If there was at least some payoff for the roughness, it would be okay, but the ride is simply painful and SLOW.

I do think that the rattler is a fun ride but it is totally trimmed to death. it isnt that rough to me but i understand WHY it is trimmed. that coaster is gorgeous and the layout is fine with me. they have sooo much they can do with that park coaster wise if they spread the coaster out over the park and the quary walls.

• 4 months later...

Wow, so many to choose from? lol

I guess I personally judge by the ones that felt like I've been punctured and have given me many bruises for a few days at minimum. It's a always a challenge to try and see what the fuss is about but man, some lessons in hurt taken away. Laughing and yelling throughout seems to make the experience fun in a horrid way. I guess that's why I'd maybe like to try SoB if it ever opens up again one day LoL

The most painful experiences to date:

1)Riding the back seat of Wild Cat at Lake Compounce. Cora, you remember that? LoL Seriously, it actually hurt to breathe after that one.

2) Hurler at Kings Dominion. We have a 'group hurt' shot of the East Coast group after that one, says it all.

3)Finally, after riding this many times before not more than half way back, I decided to try the back row of the Coney Island Cyclone - a discombobulating experience to be sure.

Ok, I wouldn't be from the area if I didn't give a special shout out to Time Warp at CW!

• 3 months later...

I rarely downgrade coasters based on roughness, so many of my favorite coasters are also among the roughest I've been on! That's probably coincidence, as they're not all the same type of coaster--or, is there any reason that exceptional coasters are more likely to be rough? Hmm...probably not, I guess.

X2

Giant Dipper

Looping Thunder, a Pinfari Zyklon ZL42 (I know, REALLY?)

Timber Terror

Vortex

Demon

Grizzly

Gold Rusher

Roar

I know I don't have some of the more stereotypically rough coasters on my list--maybe I take it for granted when I'm expecting it, or maybe I just happened to have reasonably non-rough rides on them. (i.e. Kong, Boomerangs, etc.) Also, sometimes I just forget. (Brain damage?)

Kingda Ka. The train shuffles so much, the ride up the tower is always a shakey blur! The thrilling launch and view from the top are the only redeeming factors about this ride. If it wasn't for that, it would be a stinky pile of mess coaster!

And before anyone really asks, Rolling Thunder isn't rough.

I'm sure this isn't that bad compared to some other rides out there. You guys can let me know if it is one is as bad as it gets. Colossus at Magic Mountain. I know its a classic but I've been on quite a few wooden roller coasters and its easily the roughest i've been on. It was anything but pleasant. You guys can tell me if its not as bad as others, please do if it isn't, but its certainly the roughest ride i've been on

I rode Colossus at WCB in April and it was running fine. There was a some airtime, and, although it is a rarity, they ran both sides for nightime ERT. That being said, I was in pretty much the best mood ever because we had ERT on EVERY ride in the park, so that may have been part of what made the ride so good.