TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Roughest coaster

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^I heard thats a fairly smooth arrow. Looks like an awesome ride too.

When I rode it, it was terribly rough, one of my least favorite coasters in the park

I would agree with this... I usually like Arrow's (even Anaconda that's hated by pretty much everyone) but Vortex is terrible and that wild-mouse style turn into the mid course shouldn't be allowed to exist.

^This and that god-awful transition into the batwing are possibly the worst moments on any coaster that I've ever ridden. And thats including Anaconda, Mind Eraser (SFNE), and Hurler...

That being said Hurler is still by far the roughest coaster, and I would not wish it upon even the most vile of my enemies...

• 2 weeks later...
Furius Baco is appalling. Shakes you to almost death and leaves your head pounding.

While I didn't find it that bad, it's still a shame that a coaster which is pretty good has a high level of roughness. The layout looks nothing special but I find the ride awesome. However it is not so great when you get a shakier ride.

^ If your head isn't above the restraint, some of those Arrows can be miserable. A lot of them aren't rough at all (Vortex, Loch Ness Monster, Dragon Mountain, Tennessee Tornado, and others).

This! My head is above the restraint and I've never had a bad experience on Arrow loopers. Their track doesn't really give the rattling sensation, the head banging is mostly due to their track's banking axis. If braced properly, Arrow loopers are very enjoyable.

So a Random one but The Grand National at Blackpool caused my back to spasm bad on the first double down drop haha so the rest of the ride was not fun. And of course SLC's in general but the worst one iv been on is Limit at Heide park, man my ears hurt afterwards ha

^ If your head isn't above the restraint, some of those Arrows can be miserable. A lot of them aren't rough at all (Vortex, Loch Ness Monster, Dragon Mountain, Tennessee Tornado, and others).

This! My head is above the restraint and I've never had a bad experience on Arrow loopers. Their track doesn't really give the rattling sensation, the head banging is mostly due to their track's banking axis. If braced properly, Arrow loopers are very enjoyable.

The ones I've ridden are definitely not "shaky" but suffer from poor transitions instead. Plus I don't know if tall people have this problem but even though I'm not very tall (just over 5'9'') I have to slouch for some of those restrains to close properly which becomes uncomfortable after a while.

I sometimes have to slouch depending on the ride but headbanging is never a big issue for me anymore due to my height. Vortex is the only ride that's so incredibly terrible that despite being 6,4 it still punishes my head. The only ride where the slouching is a problem is Corkscrew at Cedar Point because of that awful airtime hill (who thought that was a good idea?).

I don't consider Arrow loopers to be smooth (except for Tennessee Tornado) but I generally enjoy them now because of the lack of head banging. Vortex really needs to be put out of it's misery though. What an awful, awful piece of crap.

I'm 6'1" and Arrow OTSRs don't bang my head at all, and I'm not tall enough to have to slouch for the restraints. But CP Corkscrew's airtime hill and first drop hurt my shoulders a bit.

Is Tennessee Tornado's trains identical to the old style one? I've always wondered why Arrow didn't go with the Drachen Fire style new looper train.

Is Tennessee Tornado's trains identical to the old style one? I've always wondered why Arrow didn't go with the Drachen Fire style new looper train.

Ever since Drachen Fire opened, I always thought they were some of the coolest looking trains. It is a shame that more weren't produced for other coasters.

I'm not sure why not either but in any case whatever they did with that ride worked. I don't know if they sold their soul to the devil, prayed for guidance from the Intamin gods or what but that ride is ridiculously awesome and smooth despite some really bold, fast paced elements that would be nightmarish on any other Arrow.

I'm not sure why not either but in any case whatever they did with that ride worked. I don't know if they sold their soul to the devil, prayed for guidance from the Intamin gods or what but that ride is ridiculously awesome and smooth despite some really bold, fast paced elements that would be nightmarish on any other Arrow.

Arrow sold its soul to the devil to bring us Alan Schike, which isn't a bad trade in my opinion. He's also the reason that Road Runner Express at Fiesta Texas is much better than all other Arrow Mine Trains...

Both Tennessee Tornado and SFFT's Road Runner Express were built towards the end of Arrow's life, when they finally started heart-lining the track and used better, computer designed transitions that were not geometrically based like their older rides, as well as the new coasters also using a new form of tie on the track that is more sturdy and requires less maintenance. Even with the old-style trains, the fixes to their coaster designs proved to make the rides smooth. It is sad that not many more of their coasters were built when they were on their decline because they had finally fixed the problems.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 years later...

It's without a doubt Coaster Express for me. This ride looks like a smaller version of Son of Beast minus the loop. It's just one painful helix after another. You have RCCA's crappy trackwork, 3 bench Intamin trains (ride in a wheel seat at your risk), and t-bar restraints. Usually I love the latter, but not on a woodie as rough as this. I got the usual shuffling of a rough woodie, plus my calves kept smacking off the center pole of the t-bar. The only reason I do not advocate for the park to burn that wretched thing to the ground is because Alan Schilke could have a field day with that structure.

Keep in mind, I have a high tolerance for rough woodies. For example, I found Bandit to be no problem and had a genuine smile during the ride. Meanwhile the person next to me was crying from the pain the coaster was inflicting.

1243842177_BanditOn-Ride.thumb.jpg.18d17ac017d4dc38f56afcf19bfac602.jpg

^In 2017 Bandit actually surprised me with how (relatively) smooth it was after what I believe was some recent track work... up until the final lap through the structure when it decided to justify its reputation to us. Smooth for a while with a brutal finish.

I feel like most of the really rough coasters from the bad old days - which for me means the 90s and early 2000s - have either been removed, given new trains, or converted to hyrbrids. The remaining two that gave me trouble were American Eagle and Carowinds' Hurler.

For steel coasters, I have to go with Apolcaypse/Firebird. Rode it as Apocalypse in 2016 and hated it. Rode it again in 2019 in hopes it improved as a floorless, and it was somehow worse.

For wooden coasters, Mean Streak was bad. But I also think Beast and any of those 3 bench woodies from the '70s are pretty bad, especially in a wheel seat.