TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Roughest coaster

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^I get what you mean, as if they forgave a coaster for being rough (or having any other problem) if it does something well. However, still think Mean Streak is rougher (maybe I caught on a good day and/or you on a bad one).

I'll agree with the 31 other people in the thread that mentioned Predator at Darien Lake. RMC has repaired it in recent years but I don't know what it has done.

I'm also happy to see a few people mention raging wolf bobs at Geauga Lake.

The only parks I could really vouge for are SFMM and Knotts berry farm since I visit them the most frequently and can verify rides that are consistently rough.

For SFMM, I've heard Psyclone was absolutely terrible. I was alive when it was there, but never went on it (not really sure why). I've also heard Flashback was rough, but was never alive when it was in operation.

For me, last time I went to SFMM, Colossus was probably the roughest. In addition Viper is pretty rough and theres not much they could do for it but it's frustrating cause then theres rides like Revolution wouldn't be so rough if it didnt have the stupid OTSRs.

At Knotts Ghost Rider is really rough and its really frustrating cause it would be so much better if it wasn't as rough.

I've never actually gotten off a coaster and felt it was too rough and find myself enjoying a lot of coasters people find way too rough like Ninja at SFOG.

That being said I think the roughest coaster I've been on was the Coney Island Cyclone before it's recent retrackings. Actually, violent is more the correct word to describe it. But in an extremely comical, nonstop fun kind of way. The bottom of the third drop literally knocked the wind out of me and I had to recatch my breath on the second turnaround which thankfully is taken slowly. It was a little painful at certain moments but I laughed the entire way through and had actual bruises on my thighs afterwards to remind me how entertaining the ride was. Maybe I'm weird but sometimes roughness can be fun on an old ride.

Then I rode the Volare and actually really enjoyed it so I guess there really is something wrong with me.

The only parks I could really vouge for are SFMM and Knotts berry farm since I visit them the most frequently and can verify rides that are consistently rough.

For SFMM, I've heard Psyclone was absolutely terrible. I was alive when it was there, but never went on it (not really sure why). I've also heard Flashback was rough, but was never alive when it was in operation.

For me, last time I went to SFMM, Colossus was probably the roughest. In addition Viper is pretty rough and theres not much they could do for it but it's frustrating cause then theres rides like Revolution wouldn't be so rough if it didnt have the stupid OTSRs.

At Knotts Ghost Rider is really rough and its really frustrating cause it would be so much better if it wasn't as rough.

If you're actually 17 years old than flashback was operating.

If you're actually 17 years old than flashback was operating.

Haha I noticed that too.

Steel: Goudurix @ Parc Asterix, Also count's as my worst coaster. It just wasn't enjoyable

Wood: Grand National @ Blackpool Pleasure Beach: I enjoy it more then Coaster Express, Bandit or Magnus Colossus, but it really was a "beuker" as I would call it in Dutch

Also: Stampida: I really love the layout: but the kumbak trains leave me with bruises everytime I ride it.

^Interesting that everyone seems to mention stampida being rough. I've only ridden it once (during this year's opening day) and it was in the front (so maybe that did make a difference) and, while it wasn't smooth, I have no complains whatsoever of it being too rough. It was actually much better than I expected and really fun and enjoyable. I actually would compare its level of comfort to lightning racer's (which is one of my favourite woodies). And, honestly, if I had no idea of what other people said I think I would rank it on the very top of my wooden coasters (not that I have ridden a lot of good ones but it still is very weird given all the bad comments I've heard about it). I would like to give it another go in a different seat to check but I see that either I caught it in a VERY GOOD day or the front is way smoother than any other seat.

• 4 months later...
^I heard thats a fairly smooth arrow. Looks like an awesome ride too.

When I rode it, it was terribly rough, one of my least favorite coasters in the park

I would agree with this... I usually like Arrow's (even Anaconda that's hated by pretty much everyone) but Vortex is terrible and that wild-mouse style turn into the mid course shouldn't be allowed to exist.

I've never had a problem with Vortex being rough. Until this year, I didn't even have a problem with that hairpin turn into the MCBR.

I could go with a few obvious Boomerangs and SLCs, but I'm going to go with Wild Beast at Canada's Wonderland. It was BRUTAL when I rode in 2012, and I remember walking off and thinking "Son of Beast wasn't even this rough!"