TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Roughest coaster

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2-Georgia Cyclone @SFOG, all I remember of the ride is being expelled from my seat over and over, which is very fun, I could never even could focus on anything after I rode because I was so shaken up

I Agree with this. I actually tipped over in my seat on this ride. U could never right myself after getting knocked over.

I Also say son of a beast is very rough.

#1: That crappy old Corkscrew at VF/CP. Ride once, head hurts. Ride twice, need a massage.

Are you serious?

I rode VF's Corkscrew last year and it was ridiculously smooth for an Arrow. In all honesty it was the smoothest ride in the park aside from Wild Thing.

Although it's got great floater air and a neat layout with great intensity, KBF's Ghostrider is ridiculously rough and rattly. Defensive riding really is needed to enjoy it.

#1: That crappy old Corkscrew at VF/CP. Ride once, head hurts. Ride twice, need a massage.

Are you serious?

I rode VF's Corkscrew last year and it was ridiculously smooth for an Arrow. In all honesty it was the smoothest ride in the park aside from Wild Thing.

Although it's got great floater air and a neat layout with great intensity, KBF's Ghostrider is ridiculously rough and rattly. Defensive riding really is needed to enjoy it.

I agree, for an 'Arrow' VF's Corkscrew is pretty smooth all things considered. If you were shorter and your head hits the restraint during the inversions then I can see it being a rough coaster but otherwise it is pretty decent even after all these years. But if VF's Corkscrew is the roughest coaster he has been on then kudos to him! I am not that lucky.

Number 1: GhostRider was pretty bad - I was genuinely in a lot of pain.

For steel: Desperado at Buffalo Bills and maybe the Cyclone at Dreamworld (Australia)

Don't get me wrong though... GhostRider and Desperado are still good coasters. I just try to look past the discomfort if I can!

• 2 months later...

The roughest coasters I've been on are Hurler at King's Dominion and Hoosier Hurricane at Indiana Beach. My back and neck hurt really bad after riding them.

Another rough coaster is Demon at Six Flags Great America. But for me, I've ridden it three times, and it's only been bad two of those times.

Wood: Coney Island Cyclone. Even with seats padded to the hilt that thing is nasty.

Steel: Coney Island again. Soarin' Eagle. They strap you into an iron maiden and let the ride beat you up.

I don't know why there's so much Arrow hate. They are delightful until you hit a corner.

Has to be the Wild Beast at Canada's Wonderland (known as the "Back Breaker" by me & my friends for the fact that there is an enormous jolt @ the bottom of the first drop). It's actually quite sad. The ride seems to have great airtime, but sadly, it's nearly un-rideable due to the roughness. It would be great to see it get a rehab from RMC, which might not be too unlikely as there is enough open space around the ride to make construction relatively easy (@ least easier than Minebuster, which is in the middle of the park & would require maneuvering around the Water Park). Would be sick to see "Iron Beast" as CW's next coaster, but idk if it'll ever happen.

Rolling Thunder at SFGAdv- The kids riding in the back told me not to do it...smartest 10-year-olds I've met.

Wildcat at Lake Compounce- This is getting a rebuild this year

Mind Eraser at SFNE- I swear it's bumpier this year than last.

My smoothest wooden coaster that's a classic is the Dragon Coaster at Playland. Smoother than half of the wooden coasters built over 80 years later.

^For my ride a few weeks ago, Wildcat was one of the smoothest wooden coasters I had ridden. Although I agree with Rolling Thunder, and I would like to add SFA's Mind Eraser to the list.

Good to know, I wasn't even sure if they had finished retracking it. It's been closed since September. Will have to get to the park to try it out.

The roughest coasters I've been on (no particular order):

Boss - It's extremely rough, especially the last helix but I still find it very fun.

Racer (KI) - I did not enjoy riding this at all. Every time we went down a drop, it felt like the train was hitting concrete.

Hades - One of my favorite wooden coasters and one of the most aggressive ones at that. Very painful but the tunnel is pure fun.

Zeus - Ouch. I leaned forward and the back of the seat still kept hitting my back which left bruises.

Mean Streak - It didn't shake me side to side so much as it was just very bumpy.

HellCat (Timberfalls) - This little ride is a ton of fun but very rough. Still one of my favorite woodies!

Corkscrew (CP) - Definitely gets your neck on the corkscrews, but that's how most Arrow loopers go.

The Beast - My favorite wooden roller coaster. It's indeed rough, but I absolutely love it!

I was lucky enough to visit m & d's in Scotland a few weeks ago, where they have 2 entries in the roughest coaster list.

1st up - space coaster (which their website claims launches you from 0-60 in 8 seconds).

http://rcdb.com/3653.htm

Looks innocent enough, but seriously bashes your legs, and the helix is just pain!!

2nd up - tornado.

http://rcdb.com/1070.htm

Had heard bad reviews, the 2 loops are actually pretty smooth, then EVERY transition gives you a big old neckchop! Strangely fun though!