TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Roughest coaster

1. Lethal Weapon at Movieworld, though it's now been changed to Arkham, I haven't ridden it since the makeover.

2. Infusion at Pleasure Beach Blackpool, a typical SLC though not quite as bad as Lethal Weapon. I agree with the comment about Vekomas over water, this one really did look so pretty and harmless.

3. Grand National at Pleasure Beach Blackpool. I'm not sure if it's because it was raining or if I just caught it on a bad day but god it was rough. The airtime made up for it though.

4. Wild Mouse at Pleasure Beach Blackpool. Very rough and violent, but that's exactly what makes it so awesome.

5. The Big One at Pleasure Beach Blackpool. Very rough though somewhat enjoyable.

Honorable mentions go to Colossus at Thorpe Park and Cyclone at Dreamworld.

Edited by australianalex

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I recently rode Giant Dipper at Belmont Park. It was a lot rougher than I'd expected. I really wanted to love it, but it just gave me a headache after several rerides. Great ride. Great airtime. Just too rough! Maybe I've forgotten how bumpy coasters can be after the removal of Psyclone at Magic Mountain. That was the last "bumpy" roller coaster I remember riding before this.

Roughest Woodies - Mean Streak (before this year, this year it is pretty decent), Texas Giant (as a woodie, of course, never ridden the new version), Thunder Road at Carowinds was cruddy in my opinion, the Mighty Canadian Minebuster at Canada's Wonderland was horrible. I remember going to Kings Dominion - I forgot my complete opinion on Grizzly, but from what I remember, it sucked. From what I remember, Son of Beast was cruddy - then again, I haven't ridden it in 3 or 4 years (stupid SBNO!)

Steel -

Before I go to the actualy bad ones, I want to give my experience with a ride normally known as complete crud, but in my experience not too bad

I've been on two SLCs, Thunderhawk (Michigan's Adventure) and Flight Deck (Canada's Wonderland). I rode Thunderhawk back in 2008 or so, and it is holds the distinction of the only ride I've ever chickened out on (walking through to the exit). When I did ride it, it became my favorite ride there, and we rode it 9 or 10 times in a row before we left. It was not bad at all in my opinion, with little headbanging. I've been on Flight Deck, which wasn't quite as smooth. Despite a slow-as-a-snail line, we decided to wait a bit more for the front row. It was a little bumpy, but nothing too horrible, but then again it was the front. Therefore, my experiences with SLCs are not too bad.

The actually worst steel coasters are probably Arrow loopers - Vortex at KI was OK the first time we rode, but the next year, it was crap. Corkscrew in the back seat at Cedar Point was bad (and it will probably bang your head in most, if not all seats), and its Valleyfair sister (I forgot what sat on that one) was not nice either. I can't recall much more.

For me this is no contest...The Outer Limits: Flight of Fear before the OTSRs were removed was hands down the most painful experience I have ever had on a roller coaster. I will never forget that ride. It hit my head so hard I was yelling and cursing the entire way. I remember exiting the ride just pissed off.

For a woodie I think I will go with Riverside Cyclone. There were some turns in that ride that I remember seeing coming and just saying...that does not look good. The jackhammering on this ride was unparalleled. It makes Georgia Cyclone seem smooth.

The two nastiest coasters (with regards to roughness and pain) I've had the displeasure to ride are SOB (with the loop, not sure it was any better when they took the loop out but I never rode it w/o the loop - but I recall the 2nd half of the ride as being by far the worst part and not the first two drops and the loop) and Drachen Fire. Considering what both of them did to my neck and the pounding headache they caused, I'd say both were worse than the car accident I was in several years ago that totaled my car and turned the whole front end into an accordion. I can easily see why both ended up as SBNO and then Drachen Fire was removed.

In more recent memory, I found the Hoosier Hurricane at IB to be pretty brutal, even though I (wisely - I always do this with any woodie I've not ridden before just in case) rode in the first seat of the 2nd car. It gave me a mild headache and a sore neck as well. Hurler at KD was awful the last time I rode it nearly a decade ago as well, worse than Grizzly (which is tolerable in the front seat, as is Wildcat at Hershey). Shockwave at KD is also very painful - last time I rode it I felt like I was riding an old bike with an unpadded seat really fast over a pothole filled road - I can't imagine what it must do to male riders!

^Flight of Fear was, indeed, pretty wretched when it had OTSRs.

Really, it's still pretty rough--at least, KI's has been for the last few years. I don't really understand it, considering every other Premier coaster I've ridden is incredibly smooth.

Cyclone at Six Flags New England is bad. I'm ok with Mean Streak. Wildcat at Hersheypark is really starting to become unbearable. But, Wildcat at Lake Compounce is the worst for me.

Cyclone at SFNE is not even rough at all! In fact I find it to be a great coaster. Especially now with the new topper track I'd say as a whole it is smoother than boulder dash.
I find it terrible. And Boulder Dash isn't bad at all.

I thought viper at sfmm was pretty bad. At this years wcb I gave it one pity ride while I was killing time waiting for the x2 line to die down during the start of ert and I was was reminded why I haven't bothered riding it in about four trips.

I'm just wondering why Vekoma hasn't figured this out yet.

They have. Many of their newer designs really arent too bad at all, many are actually quite smooth and enjoyable (Expedition Everest, Battlestar Galactica, their motorbike launch coasters). I think their mine train coasters are quite enjoyable as well. And now that they've developed new restraints for their sitdown/boomerang coasters and their SLC's that eliminate headbanging I think they're finally leaving their days of painful, crappy coasters.