TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Sheikra vs. Griffon

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I actually got to ride both last year. I'm not really sure why I like Sheikra better. It could be the station and theming. Although the exit is kind of odd. Why is there always water at the exit? I enjoyed Griffon and thought it was a great ride as well. It just seems to lack something. Honestly, I think I just ranked Sheikra higher because its at BGT which I tend to like more then BGW. Not trying to start a BGT vs. BGW war.

Ah, I was seriously just wanting to bump the old version of this topic. Good timing.

A lot of people have a clear preference, but for me it's right on the edge of being a tie. SheiKra barely wins as my #24 steel, and Griffon comes in at #25. I've heard a theory that most people prefer the Dive Machine they rode first, but I actually rode Griffon first, and had speculated I'd prefer it. The repetitive layout didn't bother me, nor stand out as worse than SheiKra's. I judged SheiKra as possibly being slightly more thrilling, with perhaps just a bit more airtime, though they both have great airtime down the first drop. The views and setting are better on Griffon, though.

Short answer: SheiKra by a hair, but both are similarly excellent.

The Dive Machines, with the exception of Oblivion at Alton Towers, are very close in quality; so much so that I tend to group them together. I think they're among B&M's best rides, and I enjoy them all.

^ I agree with Chuck. Dive Machines are the best product B&M have done since the string of inverts they had back in the late 90's. They're all a pretty solid ride, and great with the GP.

I agree, and I wonder why no other parks have built one. They don't seem to take up a lot of space. They seem to be good on capacity. Also the GP loves them. They are great rides.

I've ridden Sheikra more, but I like Griffon better. I prefer the 10 wide train, the second inversion, and the airtime bump Griffon has at the end of it before the splashdown. Both are very good rides, just outside my personal top 10 steel.

I love sheikra and ride it all the time. I have been on about 80 roller coasters or so to the present day including kingda ka and el toro. I still find sheikra more intense because its so compacted and big and the drops are very tight which give you a ton of air time. Sheikra also drops underground and griffion does not. I like sheikra better overall.

Sheikra was a more intense, had better first and second drops, and better themeing (love the tunnel). Griffon has one extra inversion and a decent airtime hill. I rode Griffon first, and could not imagine Sheikra being as good, but was very suprised when I rode it and found it to be equal if not better. I think the two MAIN things about sheikra that I really prefer are the quicker release and better airtime on the drop, and the insane turn after the first element. The turn into the midbrake on griffon is kind forceless and boring in comparison. I would say they are about equal, but I would personally prefer to ride sheikra if I had the choice between the two.

^ I'm not sure about coming to a complete stop, but they have to significantly slow down regardless due to the small radius on the following drop. If it didn't brake, the negative forces would be way too strong. So I think whether it completely stops or not doesn't really matter because the magnetic brakes slow it down to 2 or 3 mph anyway.

I preferred Griffon, for the following reasons:

Griffon has one more inversion.

The wider cars allow you to sit further away from the track which adds to the ride for me.

The view from the top is amazing, being able to look out onto the water on a clear day you can can see the "ghost fleet".

My favorite visual at any theme park is Alpengeist's cobra roll and Griffon's Immelman side by side.

Also, the roller coaster insider tour pretty much made me fall in love with Griffon, it's still my favorite ciaster to do this day. I do thing SheiKra has the better name and colors. On the tour, they told us Griffon had to blend in with the sky to help the neighbor's accept the changing skyline, I think the ride looks gorgeous.

260342_251962064819472_8040582_n.jpg.111952386ea4b392d6c0dad43867705b.jpg

If you ever go to BGE, do the tour!

I found Griffon to be underwhelming. I thought it would blow my socks off and it just ended up be OK. Nothing wrong with it, and a hell of a great drop, but it just never really resonated with me. SheiKra on the other hand blew me away. Not sure if it was me expecting it to the same as Griffon and setting expectations low, but it kicked major ass. And after riding it a few times i was still loving it more and more each time.

I don't real rank my rides but SheiKra I would definitely say is top 10 for me where Griffon is the low end of top 25.

I enjoyed Griffon much more. It's my favorite ride at the park and I would visit just for Griffon. It just felt more majestic, graceful and frightening all at the same time. The larger cars and incredible view must be part of it. I could seriously ride Griffon all day/ night and was good after one or two rides on Sheikra. Maybe it's a function of liking BGW a bit better than Tampa? Maybe this a confirmed case where bigger is better?