TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Alton Towers advice

For the new coaster The Smiler I plan my first visit to Alton Towers this late summer / early autumn. I want to go by public transport as I'd try to avoid the left-side street traffic. I'd be happy if any locals or frequent visitors could answer my following questions:

Which is the nearest international airport - and how to get from there to the park?

Which is the nearest train station with service from London - and how to get from there to the park?

How's the Alton Towers Hotel?

Are there budget hotel alternatives in walking distance or with shuttle service or with easy public bus access to the park?

Any other nearby parks worth visiting?

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

- I would say Birmingham and or East Midlands Airport, i did an EMA visit in 2008. But i would not do that again, i think Birmingham would be the easier way Don't know for train service from airport to Alton

- There a bus from Stoke on Trent trainstation

- The AT Hotel is just great!

- Not really budget, but the North Stafford Hotel is opposite from the trainstation(at least by the looks of it on Booking).

- Maybe Drayton Manor, but i don't think thats easy with public transport.

nearest airport would probably be birmingham, you could then get a train to Stoke on Trent and then get a bus or coach service to the park which I think they still do but I would double check this(I thought they stopped it??) I'm certain you could get/hire a taxi to Alton Towers from here, but it would cost you quite a bit

Nearest train stations are as mentioned Stoke on Trent, or Uttoxeter Station, From Uttoxeter, I've heard you can get a bus to the park. Be warned that Alton is terrible really trying to do it all by public transport, its not really recommeneded,If you could hire a car, it would be easier.

the Alton Hotel is pretty good especially Splash Landings with the Water Park, you can get various packages that include park tickets and early entry into the park so there are some good perks, Its Expensive, but I would say its worth it if you can afford it.

There is not really any budget Hotels/B&B's within Walking Distance from Alton, you could find a couple of B&B's in Alton, but even walking back to Alton isnt suitable along that busy road as there are no proper walking paths back to Alton from the park, so its a bit awkward, just google B&B's in Alton, or near Alton Towers for details though.

Drayton Manor is worth visiting, Nearest Station is Tamworth which is approx 3 miles away, From there you can get a bus or taxi to the park.

Just so you know, Visiting Alton in September is a great time, Weekdays are usually dead at the park, and weekends are not that bad either, you should do well with the queues and everything

Hope this helps

I flew into London and while it seems crazy taking 4 trains and a bus to the park actually worked out flawlessly. There is buses from the local train stations and they drop you off at the front gates. Again... I was surprised as how easy it worked to take public transportation so don't let all the options "scare" you off.

The park does ever shuttle service from Stoke as well as Uttoxeter as a few other area cities. Bus information here. It was pretty cheap and they offered several times.

You can take the main rail lines from Birmingham or London to Stoke - it seems like trains run from those major cities nearly once a hour. We actually transferred to a small, one car, train in Stoke to go to Uttoxeter because the shuttle ran earlier from Uttoxeter to the park.

Let me know if you have any questions - I did this just last summer so most of the details are still top of mind for me.

Thanks for all the useful information!

Upon your information I've found the following:

Flight Hamburg-London (LH/BA) - € 50 one-way

Flight Hamburg-Birmingham (LH) - € 65 one-way - fun fact: no service by BA offered, not even with London changeover...

Train London-Euston to Stoke - GBP 25 - about 2:00hr

Train Birmingham to Stoke - GBP 16 - about 1:15hr

There is bus service on the Alton Towers website - but they'll likely update it as soon as the park opens. As transport looks like being on the affordable end on your advice I likely het into the onsite hotel - next to that the resort hotels at Europa Park and WDW were very good...

Drayton Manor is only 17 miles away and should at worst even be possible with a taxi - have to think about this.

Likely going in the last week of September...

I flew to Manchester 2 years ago on a trip to Alton, it worked out fine with train to Stoke and then the bus.

The only issue was that I had some issue to get a good place to stay so that I could make the train back to Manchester the next morning to make the flight, since there wasn't many trains that early on a Sunday morning.

Might still be worth looking up.

I plan to go from Monday to Thursday or maybe to Friday if including Drayton Manor.

There's 1 flight from Hamburg to Birmingham each weekday. Going to the UK at 7am - so I might have some time in Birmingham at the first day. The return flight is going 1pm so may have to leave early on the last day.

Birmingham also has the nice touch of having a long-range train station right at the airport.

-

- Not really budget, but the North Stafford Hotel is opposite from the trainstation(at least by the looks of it on Booking).

Stayed there myself a couple of times - it is slap bang opposite the train station (stoke on trent), and last time I stayed they had a combined stay and park ticket offer which was great value!

Looking good as prices are a little lower and as in September crowds are hopefully low one will not need early entry + maybe some basic shopping can be done in the town + trainstation near for visiting Drayton Manor.

Thanks for the tip and will compare when booking the hotel...

Drayton Manor is only 17 miles away and should at worst even be possible with a taxi - have to think about this.

This is not true, not even straight line distance! It will be more like 45 miles and take over an hour so keep that in mind if trying to go there.

Alton Towers are changing their bus services for 2013, but there will still be a service from Uttoxeter.I don't know what's happening with Stoke.

There is a B&B at the entrance to Alton Towers - called Trough Ivy House. It is literally 50 metres from the Entrance Plaza. Google it. Also, The Chained Oak Farm B&B is only about 500 metres down the road and is located near the famous Chained Oak, upon which the story for Hex (the mad house) is based.

The on site hotels are great though, and in September it'll be cheaper too!

For Drayton Manor - the nearest train station is Wilnecote. You can WALK to the park from there and it takes 30 minutes. Again, have a look on Google Maps!

^great Info, AstroDan

I have to see what will happen to the Stoke bus connection as the hotel there would be ideal for going to Drayton and maybe Manchester (on a rainy day). If that connection will be cancelled the B&B will be a nice option to the onsite hotel.

Hint to the Winecote station is tops!

Edit: I just checked transportdirect.info for buses on the 23rd of March - park opens on 15th - and there is a bus scheduled to leave Stoke at 7:40am - arrival 8:40am - operated by Alton Transport. So I guess they've stripped down the connection but still have at least one. There are also buses operated by First running roughly hourly with one changeover in Hanley.

Edit: I just checked transportdirect.info for buses on the 23rd of March - park opens on 15th - and there is a bus scheduled to leave Stoke at 7:40am - arrival 8:40am - operated by Alton Transport. So I guess they've stripped down the connection but still have at least one. There are also buses operated by First running roughly hourly with one changeover in Hanley.

Looking at the AT website, those bus times are the "off season" timings - I'd be amazed if in open season there was one bus due in about 2 hours before opening, and nothing until about half 1. They've onloy just got round to putting up their opening hours for this year!

Looking at the AT website, those bus times are the "off season" timings - I'd be amazed if in open season there was one bus due in about 2 hours before opening, and nothing until about half 1. They've only just got round to putting up their opening hours for this year, so I'd imagine new bus timetables will follow!

Looking at the AT website, those bus times are the "off season" timings - I'd be amazed if in open season there was one bus due in about 2 hours before opening, and nothing until about half 1. They've only just got round to putting up their opening hours for this year, so I'd imagine new bus timetables will follow!

Sorry for the double post, looks like i pressed "quote" instead of "edit".

Anyway - this years timings are pretty awful.

http://www.altontowers.com/useful-info/how-to-find-us/

one getting in almost 4 hours before opening, and one just after opening (And meaning you can't make use of ERT)

and I dunno why one is only available on sundays...

and leaving - one at bang on low season close time, or one 2 hours after...

They used to have a few during the day, and I'm sure they had an earlier one..

First has about 1-1 1/2 hourly service to Alton from Stoke with changeover in Hanley. I still think to prefer the Stroke hotel as you've easy access to the train station for Drayton Manor and Manchester (in case it rains).

I think ERT isn't that needed in September...

• 2 years later...
nearest airport would probably be birmingham, you could then get a train to Stoke on Trent and then get a bus or coach service to the park which I think they still do but I would double check this(I thought they stopped it??) I'm certain you could get/hire a taxi to Alton Towers from here, but it would cost you quite a bit Paris airport limousine service

Nearest train stations are as mentioned Stoke on Trent, or Uttoxeter Station, From Uttoxeter, I've heard you can get a bus to the park. Be warned that Alton is terrible really trying to do it all by public transport, its not really recommeneded,If you could hire a car, it would be easier.

the Alton Hotel is pretty good especially Splash Landings with the Water Park, you can get various packages that include park tickets and early entry into the park so there are some good perks, Its Expensive, but I would say its worth it if you can afford it.

There is not really any budget Hotels/B&B's within Walking Distance from Alton, you could find a couple of B&B's in Alton, but even walking back to Alton isnt suitable along that busy road as there are no proper walking paths back to Alton from the park, so its a bit awkward, just google B&B's in Alton, or near Alton Towers for details though.

Drayton Manor is worth visiting, Nearest Station is Tamworth which is approx 3 miles away, From there you can get a bus or taxi to the park.

Just so you know, Visiting Alton in September is a great time, Weekdays are usually dead at the park, and weekends are not that bad either, you should do well with the queues and everything

Hope this helps

yes, your hope is right as i found this thread helpful and informative and it may be also helpful by others that i think so.

thanks for writing this kind of useful post that i am also looking for such a log time,

it's all about the topic alton towers and i think it's a good advice in this forum