TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Top Roller Coaster Myths & Rumors!

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Six Flags wanted to close down Darien Lake in lieu of selling it after the 2006 season.

Darien Lake charges extra for the water park.

B&M was to build Drachen Fire at Busch Gardens Williamsburg to be a "sister" coaster to Kumba at Busch Gardens Tampa.

Back in the late 80's or early 90's I remember hearing about two guys flipping a river rapids boat at KD. Supposedly they stood on the outer portion of the seats and rocked it. Death of some sort was involved. Also, parks shutting down log flume rides because people have been jumping out from the upper levels into surrounding trees and such. Rather than closing due to upkeep issues.

I have to correct at least one person every year for professing that The Bat was removed because it either killed someone or broke their necks. Especially now that I live in Cincinnati, I know people who have a friend who has an uncle that dated a girl that had her neck removed after riding The Bat.

Also, water moccasins invaded the boats on the log flumes at Kings Island and the water around The Beast, which is why they drained the pond near The Beast's station. That one may be true.

When I worked in Camp Snoopy at Cedar Point, I can't tell you how many people coming in early (resort guests) wanted to know where the bridge was from Camp to Millennium Force's entrance. Some insisting that they had used one before when I told them they were on the wrong side and it was a real trek to it and the only bridge in Camp (then) was for the Pirates Haunt attraction durning Halloween.

TPR only busts myths on Boardwalk Bullet at Kemah Boardwalk!

Circa 2009: Can/Will Boardwalk Bullet run the course faster than 45.44492817!~38 when TPR visits? From leaving the lift hill to touching the final brake run. THAT IS IT BABY THAT IS IT.

I don't remember what my stopwatch recorded. I think it was waterdamaged from the night before then destroyed by BB haha.

There are many myths regarding the forces that coasters produce, usually a lot more than it really does. Many of them have something to do with that some people at times black out in a tight helix etc.

Some examples:

* Nemesis pulls more than 7 g's

* Titan/Goliath have people black out in their helices so they must have over 5 g's

* The first turn around on I305 also had people black out so it must also produce more than 5 g's

People, it's not just the force they pull, it's the time as well...

Another one I have encountered is that people claim that Millennium Force is the first coaster that have a cable-lift, it may even be Intamin that started this rumour in their marketing for this ride. The truth on the other hand is that the now defunct Giant Coaster at Fuji-Q had one long before then. It shut about the same time as Fujiyama opened so it's really hard to find any specifics about this ride, I have seen references about it on some Australian theme park photo page (which may have closed since I can't find it anymore), and I have seen a POV on youtube where it's visible, but unfortunately that user have been removed due to copyright infringement. So it's a tough one to prove.

I didn't see this one. But I have heard it a 1000x's that the Flooded Mine at Dollywood was removed because people were being bitten by snakes living in the water.

Edit: So I realized i'm a stupid head and this was technically not a coaster, so yes disregard my flaw, but still not deleting my post! I like this myth.

So insert coaster: When I was growing up going to Opryland. People used to say that if you rocked the car just right on the Screaming Delta Demon in the tunnel you could make it go upside down. After many failed leaning attempts the car never went higher than the lines in the pipe.

For some odd reason, in South Jersey a ton of people believe that when Kingda Ka first opened, it was too tall to operate, and was shrunk 20 feet. That can easily be disproven though.

My favorite was the rumor that KK killed people via decapitation.

OMG I heard someone died on KK because it broke their neck!

It was a test dummy that happened on, and afterwards thet started using dummies with no heads

It was great because we had a band trip at CP when many of us rode TTD. I asked how is it you were perfectly fine there but KK "kills people" and someone actually said "well you see KK is a little taller, faster and well, it kills people. Ya know those small differences in mph and height make a huge difference yadda yadda yadda" Oi!

Also, that a rider fell off Timber Wolf trying to change seats at the top of the lift hill.

I hear that one a lot with WOF being my home park. A friend of mine also tried to convince me their car had detached from Timber Wolf's track when they were riding it.

I'm pretty sure this was true but when SFMM had Psyclone, they had to have a minimum amount of passengers on the train otherwise it wouldn't make it through the course. I actually remember my first time riding it, we had to wait a few moments for people to board as there was only a handful. I actually remember grabbing 1 row but having to move down further, perhaps evening out the weight. When I went on my first lap around, it really did feel like it was going to valley.

Here in Germany many poeple still believe that Schwarzkopf loopers were made in the US.

This went back to the 70s when the first Looping Star hit the carnivals it had an english name with trains painted in american colors. Some newspapers reported the coasters sported "the latest technology from the USA".

I'm pretty sure this was true but when SFMM had Psyclone, they had to have a minimum amount of passengers on the train otherwise it wouldn't make it through the course. I actually remember my first time riding it, we had to wait a few moments for people to board as there was only a handful. I actually remember grabbing 1 row but having to move down further, perhaps evening out the weight. When I went on my first lap around, it really did feel like it was going to valley.

I encountered this too on my first trip to SFMm...I also had the DejaVu ride ops try to get me to ride, even though I was too short at the time! Scary thing is they were completely serious.

I have run into this myth more times than I can count; When Chang opened at Kentucky Kingdom, it got stuck at the top of the vertical loop. I actually recall having an argument with my best friend over this. He said he was there when it happened and they had to get a cherry picker....I was there with him that day; it was the Vampire which valleyed and stranded people between the loop and second lift hill. The brakes caught the train strangely and caused the last half of the train to be in the loop.

Oh, and speaking of the Vampire, When Greezed Lightnin' opened, I heard guests (quite regularly) state to friends/family that the ride was the original Vampire, just painted and moved.

I've also heard from quite a few people that Thunder Run had seat belts installed because someone in the back seat was ejected from the train on the first drop and killed on the rocks that surround that first turnaround.