TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Top Roller Coaster Myths & Rumors!

Just some myths that I hear....

- Girl's hair getting tangled on the cables on drop towers

- Getting a nose bleed if you hold your breath for the launch on a coaster

- People who are not able to talk, and then go ride a very frightful coaster (Kingda Ka, Intimidator 305, or anything that would make them scream) and then are able to talk. Strange, but I've heard it.

- I hear this a lot even though I know it's not true. During American Eagle's helixes, the back car literally sways off the track and hangs over the edge of the track (even though there is a post and hand rail blocking it from even dereailing)

- Launched-shuttle coasters being able to launch past a certain speed so that they are capable of flying off one of their spikes (Vertical Velocity, Montezooma's Revenge, etc)

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've also heard countless times that you could hold a penny in your hand or set it on your leg on Demon Drop (CP, now at Dorney) and when the ride drops, the penny will float in front of you.

It doesn't hover, but it does seem to "float up". We used to put the penny on our knee and hold our hands palms down about eye level. The car would drop and the penny would fall "up" into our hands. If you caught the penny, you got to get back in line. If you missed you had to sit out until there was just one player left. The biggest challenge is to keep your leg planted on the floor. There's a tendency to flinch when the car drops, which sends the penny shooting off into space, which is most likely what you experienced.

That a person can get stuck and not make it through a looping waterslide. Myth that originated around Action Park's looping waterslide.

Repeatedly riding roller coasters can cause permanent brain damage.

Edited by larrygator

I keep hearing that the blood waterfalls on Nemesis are infact Ribena fruit juice.

That a ride can't go upside down because it doesn't have shoulder restraints.

Hex is a true story.

Worst one. That its dangerous for the people at the front of the ride to put their hands up as it can slow the ride down and affect the aero dynamics.

The one myth I hear a lot from friends is on the Kemah Boardwalk Bullet. There is of course the person who died on the at the top of the coaster when it first open. But there is also the coaster was so smooth before the Hurricane wiped out part of the coaster myth. Now when Kemah flooded probably did not help the coaster but a part of the coaster was never wiped out. I'm sure they had to replace a few pieces of wood but not whole parts.

Yep, false on all counts. That coaster was never smooth, even on opening day. Only three planks were replaced after the hurricane, none of them load-bearing. The whole control system was toast, though, as well as the lift motor and other electrical stuff.

Not sure how it could be tested, but one that still comes up is Canada's Wonderland is moving to Niagara Falls. Maybe dig up the full page ad the park took out in local papers to say they were not going anywhere.

Coaster trains can stop anywhere on the track (including inversions) because the brakes are on the train, not on the track.

That there is no such thing as a new wooden coaster. Some people believe that wooden coasters are old and that they are not made anymore.

Specific to Darien Lake, people think that Predator is the oldest coaster there however Viper pre-dates it.

When I used to work at CGA at Grizzly, I'd hear guests saying they wouldn't ride it cause it shakes too much and that it's going to break after seeing the train pass through the turnaround closest to the station. Also not coaster related but many guests would ask about the underground facility underneath the park (obviously from the movie Beverly Hills Cop III) I would just look at them and say REALLY?!

The one myth I hear a lot from friends is on the Kemah Boardwalk Bullet. There is of course the person who died on the at the top of the coaster when it first open. But there is also the coaster was so smooth before the Hurricane wiped out part of the coaster myth. Now when Kemah flooded probably did not help the coaster but a part of the coaster was never wiped out. I'm sure they had to replace a few pieces of wood but not whole parts.

Yep, false on all counts. That coaster was never smooth, even on opening day. Only three planks were replaced after the hurricane, none of them load-bearing. The whole control system was toast, though, as well as the lift motor and other electrical stuff.

OK, this thread isn't about coming on here and trying to tell each other if it's true or false, it's about sharing the myths or rumors you've heard. So please help us out, instead of trying to tell everyone if their myth is right or wrong, try coming up with some yourself! Thank you!

I've heard several rumors that most launch coasters (hydraulic cable launches, LIM launches, LSM launches) can be launched at a speed much faster then what they normally operate at. For example I remember hearing that Dragster could really launch at like 130-140 mph if they wanted it to, and I also recall people saying after Superman re-opened at Magic Mountain that it was launching at a faster speed and climbing higher up the tower.

There has been a rumor fow awhile now that Fiesta Texas would be getting a small woodie in the boardwalk section of the park. This rumor has been even further enhanced by the recent GCI video on their YouTube page showing a roller coaster with the background being Fiesta Texas. Why else would they go through the effort of 3D modeling the entire park if they didn't plan on installing that coaster?

I'm not sure if the is a myth or not (it may very well be true), but I've heard that statistically more people are injured per year on merry-go-rounds than on roller coasters. Also, Robb is this all for some amusement park-themed episode of Mythbusters? If so, that is awesome!