TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Top Roller Coaster Myths & Rumors!

There are rumors that there is an underground Disney Hospital in Walt Disney World. My friend actually ended up there after she accidentaly got clotheslined by a character. Kind of funny. But, when she got hurt, she said the ambulance showed up in seconds and there were no windows. Like they don't want you to know about it. Kind of crazy. I believe it and I've researched it, but there are no traces what so ever. Not sure if this fits the thread but I found this kind of cool.

Also, there are rumors that Nitro was supposed to be named Superman Ride of Steel. If you look at the 2001 map, the colors are red and blue. But, the park chose against the name last minute and went with something more original.

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not even sure if this is true or an actual myth. But, I've heard from some people in Millennium Force's debut year, a piece of an support in the first overbank was removed because a man got his hand chopped off from it being too close to the track. I also heard Intamin just later found out about the track clearance and removed it before the season. Either way, there is a gap in the support, and it was removed for some reason.

The whole Hypersonic XLC fiasco about it originally being for CGA.

I've heard those giant planters in the middle of the midway around Celebration Swings were planned locations for the footers.

I dunno about the planter thing, but the whole Hypersonic going to CGA was true.

I remember hearing as well that Leviathan was meant for KBF.

Forgot to mention that a rumor I heard was that CP planned on building another huge coaster, possibly another GIGA, but plans got taken down due to the fact that it would take away a huge chunk of CP's property.

Remember guys, this thread is about myths that can be tested to be either proven right or wrong...

"is Magnum sinking by 1 inch every year?"

"If you drop something from the top of the loop, you’ll catch it at the bottom of the loop…"

Stuff like that.

Here's some I've heard, both in the rumor and GPism category

1. If you are on a ride and the restraint fails, you will fall out at the top of the loop

2. The Final Destination roller coaster sequence could actually happen

3. Disneyland's Space Mountain goes upside down, but it is so quick you don't notice it

4. The back car of the train goes faster than the front

5. If two roller coasters have the same size drop, the one with a steeper drop will always go faster

6. Under perfect conditions, it is possible for Millennium Force/Intimidator 305 to reach 100 miles per hour

7. You can lose your hands on a wooden coaster if you raise them above your head

Edited by rcdude

I don't know if this is about roller coasters but I have heard lots of weird things about Disney, like the froze Walt`s head and that there is a fully functional city under the property. Also I know Walt has an apartment at Disney but I have heard that it is in Space Mountain.

I've heard the GP many times in different parks talking about trains coming off the track. Especially if a steel coaster goes too slow through a loop, or wooden coasters going over any hills with airtime. (I'm thinking a lot of the GP have no idea about up-stops wheels)

I've also heard countless times that you could hold a penny in your hand or set it on your leg on Demon Drop (CP, now at Dorney) and when the ride drops, the penny will float in front of you. I actually tested it when I was younger and the penny disappeared quicker than quick, haha.

I'm not really sure if this fits this thread but I've heard this rumor numerous times from friends that are scared of rollercoasters, that if they close their eyes during the ride it makes it less scary for them to ride. Personally I think it's scarier not knowing whats happening during the ride.

A rumor I used to hear fairly regularly (that I never believed) was that Dueling Dragon's Challenge was originally deigned for Disney and was supposed to have opened with the Beastly Kingdom section in Animal Kingdom. Don't really know how this could ever be tested or verified but it was a rumor I've heard more than once.

An interesting myth, not sure if it actually holds true or not but some of us have lead to believe that a moist track from the morning dew can increase the speed of the train (or maybe perhaps some rain). Why I say this? Because I rode CGA's Grizzly on a rather foggy morning and the train was screaming through the circuit at a much faster than normal pace...as in I actually had a bit of airtime on it!

Oh, and Flight Deck CGA sinking...We've all heard that one

The number one myth I grew up and continue to still believe is that Kennywood turns the majority of the brakes off of Thunderbolt, Jack Rabbit, and Racer at night. I would be very curious to find out if this is something that is true, or if it is just the psychological effect of riding in the dark that gives the allusion of a faster speed.

The one myth I hear a lot from friends is on the Kemah Boardwalk Bullet. There is of course the person who died on the at the top of the coaster when it first open. But there is also the coaster was so smooth before the Hurricane wiped out part of the coaster myth. Now when Kemah flooded probably did not help the coaster but a part of the coaster was never wiped out. I'm sure they had to replace a few pieces of wood but not whole parts. The things friends will say not to ride a coaster.

Another myth I hear often is at SFOT on Runaway Mountain. Now you typically hear people say "oh dont put your arms up because they will hit something" on many coasters in the dark. However, I heard about someone who lost an arm on the Runaway Mountain at SFOT. I've actually heard similar stories from 3 people. As far as I can remember, I dont remember any actual reports on someone losing an arm on that coaster.

Is the old "magic kingdom is one level up" too obvious.

Something about launch coaster rollbacks could be quite cool. Along the lines of "if the ride doesn't launch fast enough it can roll back or get stuck at the top". Obvious to us but could be fun to test! I remember when Thorpe opened Stealth there was talk that they weighed the trains and factored for wind speed/direction before each launch to get the right speed and the first five launches every day were made even faster to compensate for cold track. I *think* I had a chat with one of the SFGAdv engineers on a who told me there was some truth in this.

I don't know if this is about roller coasters but I have heard lots of weird things about Disney, like the froze Walt`s head and that there is a fully functional city under the property. Also I know Walt has an apartment at Disney but I have heard that it is in Space Mountain.

First one is false, as Walt is buried at Forest Lawn. Second is true for WDW (Utilidors). Third is true for DLR; his apartment was above the fire station. Also, the Dream Suites from the More than a Year of a Million Dreams were originally going to be for the Disney family and their guests.