TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

What makes a park grow?

I am curious as to what people think makes a park gain attendance. Is it that brand new roller coaster that brings in the additional people or just the park in general and the new coaster helps people enjoy the park more? Is it a great themed park or themed rides?

I myself don't have a huge love for themed rides, sometimes I look at rides and wonder if it would look better with no theme at all. Does Maverick at CP become a better ride with the way the ride and theme has been set up, I don't know.

I am curious because looking at parks like SFStl and Valleyfair I have to wonder that if a nice new coaster was put in would the attendance increase a great deal or hold steady with what they normally average. Why do parks like SFMM and CP constantly get the new shiny toy?

Thoughts, or perhaps some hard facts.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Parks become successful for a lot of reasons, not just rides/attractions plopped down.

Coasters and rides definitely have some say in attendance.

Good advertising

Rides/attractions for everyone to enjoy. Bonus points if the park is geared towards families

A good market to draw many people from

Great customer service (should be above all)

SF Mid America and Valleyfair don't really have enough people to justify shiny new toys every other year like Magic Mountain and Cedar Point do. Yes a shiny new major coaster will most definitely draw people to the park, but the popularity is bound to die down and attendance returns to normal levels again.

Magic Mountain probably doesn't fit all the criteria listed above, but they meet enough of them to maintain a decent attendance level.

Back in 1989, I visited a park called "Wild World". This park was small compared to other amusement parks, but it had a dry ride section and a water park section and you could go back and front between the two sections. It only had one coaster, a woodie called "The Wild One". You can go to this park today and see how big it has grown over the years. It also changed its name to "Six Flags America".

The same thing to Michigan Adventures. I first went to that park in 2001 when a new coaster called "The Shivering Timbers" was grabbing the spotlight. It was also the first year it became affiliated with Cedar Fair. I could look out and see room for potential and growth. I went there again in 2009 and saw how much it has grown with the added attractions (some of them hand-me-downs from other parks, especially the swan boats that came from Cedar Point), plus the park was Crowd-ded on that day of my visit (the park didn't have that many visitors during my 2001 visit and I got to ride their rides mulitple times).

This is true to every theme park when it first starts out. It is a small park, but it begins to generate capital as it begins to attract more and more visitors. With more capital means more additions and more additions usually means it's time to expand. I can remember what Kings Dominion was like during my first visit in 1978 ( the park contained only three roller coasters: Scooby Doo, The Galaxy, and the Rebel Yell) and I can remember my first visit to Busch Gardens Williamsburg in 1976 ( theme areas like Italy didn't exist, and there was no Loch Ness Monster coaster - that would come next year). Over the years, those parks added newer and innovated attractions while some older attractions were taken out. If those parks didn't add the newer attractions and sometimes subtract the older and more troublesome attractions, visitors would start to become bored and even the most diehard fan of those parks would stop coming.

Fun Spot USA is a small park in Orlando Florida that is generating some attention with its expansion that has all the riders and amusement park flyers excited. Kings Dominion is rearranging its old Kidzville area with new rides and new improvements to the existing ones to become the expanded Planet Snoopy. Silver Dollar City is causing some people to drool over its new coaster Outlaw Run. The new coaster at Six Flags Magic Mountain looks wicked! It's exciting new additions like those that brings more and more people to their parks. More people means more $$$ and more $$$ means the park can plan on that next attraction, or that next expansion, or maybe even both.

"I'm not perfect; I just love to ride

Back in 1989, I visited a park called "Wild World". This park was small compared to other amusement parks, but it had a dry ride section and a water park section and you could go back and front between the two sections. It only had one coaster, a woodie called "The Wild One". You can go to this park today and see how big it has grown over the years. It also changed its name to "Six Flags America".

The same thing to Michigan Adventures. I first went to that park in 2001 when a new coaster called "The Shivering Timbers" was grabbing the spotlight. It was also the first year it became affiliated with Cedar Fair. I could look out and see room for potential and growth. I went there again in 2009 and saw how much it has grown with the added attractions (some of them hand-me-downs from other parks, especially the swan boats that came from Cedar Point), plus the park was Crowd-ded on that day of my visit (the park didn't have that many visitors during my 2001 visit and I got to ride their rides mulitple times).

This is true to every theme park when it first starts out. It is a small park, but it begins to generate capital as it begins to attract more and more visitors. With more capital means more additions and more additions usually means it's time to expand. I can remember what Kings Dominion was like during my first visit in 1978 ( the park contained only three roller coasters: Scooby Doo, The Galaxy, and the Rebel Yell) and I can remember my first visit to Busch Gardens Williamsburg in 1976 ( theme areas like Italy didn't exist, and there was no Loch Ness Monster coaster - that would come next year). Over the years, those parks added newer and innovated attractions while some older attractions were taken out. If those parks didn't add the newer attractions and sometimes subtract the older and more troublesome attractions, visitors would start to become bored and even the most diehard fan of those parks would stop coming.

Fun Spot USA is a small park in Orlando Florida that is generating some attention with its expansion that has all the riders and amusement park flyers excited. Kings Dominion is rearranging its old Kidzville area with new rides and new improvements to the existing ones to become the expanded Planet Snoopy. Silver Dollar City is causing some people to drool over its new coaster Outlaw Run. The new coaster at Six Flags Magic Mountain looks wicked! It's exciting new additions like those that brings more and more people to their parks. More people means more $$$ and more $$$ means the park can plan on that next attraction, or that next expansion, or maybe even both.

"I'm not perfect; I just love to ride

Alright but what makes a park grow, the rides that are awesome or just more people coming to the park to then get those better rides??

BTW I love your explanation.

Would adding an El Toro, Maverick, Gatekeeper clones to Valleyfair all of a sudden make it a must do for every coaster enthusiast and Gp alike? Or increase the attendance a season then go back to what it currently has?

Would adding an El Toro, Maverick, Gatekeeper clones to Valleyfair all of a sudden make it a must do for every coaster enthusiast and Gp alike? Or increase the attendance a season then go back to what it currently has?

That is the gamble every park takes with every new addition. It's called business, and it really is a roller coaster ride.

If you're looking for a good case study just look at Holiday World and Waldameer as great examples as to how to make a park grow. It took building a major attraction to take these two small, literally unknown properties to start the growth they have had the past few years.

Parks that seem to grow well and organically know their audience. They also know where their strengths and focus on them. As an example adding or expanding their water parks have resulted in increased attendance. I also think that if a park involves itself and supports the community around it the community will support the park in return therefore giving reasons to grow.

No. Look at what happened to Geauga Lake (or even the SF corporation as a whole) for a good example of that not working out in the end. You have to have more than just rides to keep paying customers coming back year after year.

No. Look at what happened to Geauga Lake (or even the SF corporation as a whole) for a good example of that not working out in the end. You have to have more than just rides to keep paying customers coming back year after year.

Right hadn't thought of SF, thanks that makes a ton of sense.

JEW wrote his answer on what makes a park grow - his answer:

Water and sunlight. Duh.

I would like to add that if you don't tend to your plants and pull out all the weeds, then it will wither and die.

A lovely metaphor to an amusement park, don't you think?

I'm not perfect; I just love to ride!!!

• 9 months later...

Sexual arousal?

I would say developing a dedicated group of annual passholders doesn't hurt, and parks do that by offering a good overall experience and plenty of different activities and events spaced out over the year. Gives people something to look forward to (Disney has understood this from day one).

For example, Busch Gardens Williamsburg may not add an amazing new ride every year, but they keep things interesting with annual events such as Howl-o-Scream, Christmas Town, and their new Food and Wine Festival.

A whole slew of things makes parks grow. First, the attractions, no park is complete without these, so when we see an addition, it makes new growth. Secondly, great prices, don't jack prices up too far, keep it fair, and worth the Tropical dollar!

Third, note this is a personal thing, is the addition of a donkey, or donkey themed attraction, that gets large attendance, and growth!

Be nice to the enthusiasts.

I would put that at the bottom of the list!

It depends how you define growth, I guess the two easiest metrics are visitor numbers and revenue. Visitor numbers usually require large capital investment and higher per head spend usually comes through an increased focus on families.

No golden rules though, if there were we wouldn't see things like Hark Rock Park!

^Dave said it best: there is no one thing that will ensure a parks success and allow it to continue to grow. It all depends on the market and managements ability to understand that market. Having marquee rides is only one part of it. You have to market, have premium products, have good margins on food and merch, understand your local market so you know what to do when it comes to annual passes, have seasonal events, add attractions, and 1,000 other things a park may need to focus on.