TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Google Glass/Recording Videos

I saw a video of the latest features for the crazy looking Google Glass. About halfway through, we see Cyclone at Coney Island and a girl yells "Ok Glass, record a video." It makes me wonder if these gadgets will be allowed on a roller coaster since they will probably come out with appropriate straps. Do you think it will be allowed and would you use it to record POV's?

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Regardless of the size or type of camera, it's still going to come down to park rules. Some parks have "loose article" policies, and others have specific "camera policies." A park that doesn't allow "cameras" of any type, still will not allow this type of camera, period.

A park that has only a "loose article" policy will have to start to re-think devices like this. Between chest mounted GoPro cameras, Pivothead camera glasses, and now a device like this, these cameras are no longer "loose articles." So if a park simply says "no loose articles" on a ride, and it's not a loose article, I don't see why they should have an issue, unless of course they specifically say "no cameras."

--Robb

I'm gonna agree with Robb in thinking that they won't be allowed on rides. Though I think that the videos recorded from them would probably be as bad if not worse than the illegal POV's that people already make.

It will depend on the parks, if you go to parks like Holiday World and Fuji Q Highland where they don't even allow things in cargo pokets then I won't be seeing this used there. How ever parks that allow glasses with a strap I can see this being used as its not a loose article that will fly off and hit someone in the face (it could happen but the chances are slim).

It will depend on the parks, if you go to parks like Holiday World and Fuji Q Highland where they don't even allow things in cargo pokets then I won't be seeing this used there. How ever parks that allow glasses with a strap I can see this being used as its not a loose article that will fly off and hit someone in the face (it could happen but the chances are slim).

Again, only of the park DOES NOT have a "no camera policy", for example, Holiday World clearly states:

Cameras of any size or type are only permitted on the following six rides: The Freedom Train, Doggone Trail, Star Spangled Carousel, Gobbler Getaway, Prancer's Merry-Go-Round, and The Lewis & Clark Trail. Absolutely no cameras are allowed on any of the other rides (even when the camera is secured in a pocket or fanny pack). For everyone's safety, cell phone use is not permitted on rides.

So regardless if your camera is or is not a "loose article", that doesn't matter. Holiday World doesn't want cameras on their rides, PERIOD.

This shouldn't be a hard concept for people to grasp. If the sign says "no cameras" that means no cameras. That doesn't mean "Let me argue with the ride op that I should be allowed to take my camera on this ride because it's attached to my wrist like a watch."

And I only say this because I've witnessed people try to do this very thing.

--Robb

If the sign says "no cameras" that means no cameras. That doesn't mean "Let me argue with the ride op that I should be allowed to take my camera on this ride because it's attached to my wrist like a watch."

--Robb

Thank goodness Apple isn't developing an iOS based device that had a camera integrated into an ordinary wrist watch, that would really mess with park camera/loose article policies. Oh Wait, uh oh......

Of course they're going to be used to record coasters! People will probably be wearing these things all around and that includes on the rides. If you have them on and they have the ability to record, why not? Has anyone ever heard of a ride op make someone take off their glasses for a ride? I have not. I'm sure there probably has been some over the years but I couldn't recall any instances. Most people's glasses are usaully pretty secure by my udnerstanding.

Joking of course, I can only see the future...people are going to have cameras embedded into their eyes. Now that would really mess with ride policies

Most rides, especially at CF and SF parks inform you to remove prescription and sunglasses on rides where they're likely to fly off. Google Glass would be no exception. I hear this at CGA all the time: "Remove all hats, glasses, sunglasses, potatoes and flipflops and place them in the storage bin on the other side..."

Not to mention, I've heard a lot of more general "Put your electronics away" shouts over the PA system when one pulled their cell phone going up the lift (yup, I've been on a ride where the lift was paused until the GP who attempted to call/record/text/whatever to put their gadget away. So many things have cameras these days, therefore generalizing it to electronics is the safest bet to enforce their camera policy.

Not to mention, I've heard a lot of more general "Put your electronics away" shouts over the PA system when one pulled their cell phone going up the lift (yup, I've been on a ride where the lift was paused until the GP who attempted to call/record/text/whatever to put their gadget away. So many things have cameras these days, therefore generalizing it to electronics is the safest bet to enforce their camera policy.

Oh yeah. Instances of a ride op stopping a train on the lift hill to get someone to put their electronics away is on YouTube. I'll try to find a video later and post it here.