TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Fastest Lift Hill?

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^ By slow it down I think they mean that they will make it go slower till all cars are past the curve up as this is where alot of axle fractures are happening (NOT good!), after that part it will speed up to the normal speed. For fastest steel lift (not launch) I would say Skyrush and for Wood it would be any of the Intamin Prefabs with a cable lift (El Toro and T Express). For the slowest it's any of theses knockoff Japanese/Chinese rides.

How about Tornado at Bakken, the Intamin "prototype" spinner with a double chain lift. Doesn't it almost launch through the lift to keep the pacing through the low layout?

Looks pretty launch-y to me. (Also, I want to ride this! It's a shame they have limited its use.)

The question remains as why are they so slow? I apologise for going off topic.

It's probably because using a smaller lift motor uaes less power, which is in the interest of the park, but will also make the lift much slower. I guess it's a matter of "if it doesn't have to go that fast, then why should we run it that fast?"

Wow! That video above wins the slowest lift hill ever! I bet they claim it has 4 minutes of ride time when 3 minutes and 20 seconds of it is lift hill.

This one gives that type of coaster a run for it's money, considering the Slowest ever lift:

One and a half minute lift for such tiny coaster.

Is it true this is being moved to SFMM next year to increase the coaster count?

How about Tornado at Bakken, the Intamin "prototype" spinner with a double chain lift. Doesn't it almost launch through the lift to keep the pacing through the low layout?

Looks pretty launch-y to me. (Also, I want to ride this! It's a shame they have limited its use.)

Woah! Think if I were to ride that for the first time w/o seeing this video, I would think I'd be in for a bit of a shock as I'd expect the lift to travel the average 6-8mph, but that's crazy Intamin managed to do that with a chain lift.

• 9 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Tornado at Bakken was a total surprise to pretty much everybody on the 2009 Scandi Tour.

The top of the lift hill, was like... you were going fast enough up the hill,

then came an instant launch at the top. Can't wait to ride it again in June.

Edited by Nrthwnd

The fastest lift hill I've ever experienced bar none was on Skyrush - and I rode it for the first time this past June, so it was after it was slowed a bit at the top. Before that I had thought that I-305 and Millennium Force had fast lifts, but Skyrush seems quite a bit faster. Even if it isn't really that much quicker than those, it seems that way because it has only 2/3rds the distance to travel.

If Maverick's upward launch counts as a lift hill... Take it to the extreme, Formula Rossa has the fastest lift hill because the launch section also has a small slope.

I guess by lift hill, it means traditional chain lift and cable lift while friction wheels and the weird Japanese coaster using belts can be arguably included.

So I think SkyRush and Tornado might be the winner.

Yeah I'd say Tornado at Bakken. I tried to tell my friends that the lift is fast but oh my goodness! Even I was totally unprepared with that shotgun launch at the top and it took me half the ride to recover, but in a good way! Needless to say I re-rode it, twice, while only one of my friends joined me all the way. I'm really happy I got to ride it

Skyrush is definitely the fastest I've been on. Not only is it quick, but once the entire train is "in the lift" itself it accelerates reasonably hard for a bit. And we shouldn't forget that it is pretty steep (around 50 degrees, think) and that the trains weigh a lot (approximately 13 tons). As to chains, I don't know although Leviathan's is pretty fast (at least the fastest B&M).

I agree that Maverick doesn't count since it is more of a launch.

Just saw Rutschebanen at Tivoli Gardens watching Roller Coasters In The Raw v1 last night. Unfortunately doesn't look like TPR put this one on youtube, and everyone else's video is pretty terrible. It's not as fast as I305, but it's got to be close to the fastest wooden coaster.

So is the question how fast speed wise is the lift hill or how fast it takes to get to the top of the lift?

Speedwise, I would say SkyRush, for the coaster to get to the top of the lift, I would have to say any Kiddie Coaster!

I would also say any Mack Rides GmbH & Co KG, or just any wild mouse coaster has a fast lift.

I will repeat by saying, everybody needs to get over to

Bakken in Denmark and ride Tornado. Of all the coasters,

big and small I have been on, this coaster just shocks you

how fast you go up it's lift hill - and then that "gunshot launch"

at the top.... amazing. Short lift hill, but very effective.