TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Worst Ride Name

IMO I never understood Hershey's "SuperDooperLooper" it only has one loop :/ idk maybe it's just me.

Now I know that this thread is worst names, but one of my favorite names is "Thunder Dolphin" haha it's so funny but just think about a dolphin creating thunder when it speaks I love Japan!!

• Replies 607
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^yeah I know it was the first looping coaster in the east, but still it only goes upside down once. The name makes it sound like it will go upside down more than once...

I'm sure it isn't the only coaster with "Loop" in the name that only loops once. (Plus, it worked well as the title for a science fair project I did using a K'nex roller coaster set.

Here are my top 10 bad ride names out of all of the ones that I have mentioned

10. Pandemonium

6. Speed: The Ride

3. Disaster Transport

1. Big Spin (without Tony Hawk!)

I agree with these four. However, Big Spin with Tony Hawk still in the title was just as horrible. And I like the name Pandemonium, it just doesn't fit the ride.

Cheetah Hunt. They built a ride to celebrate cheetahs, but they gave it a name that says you're going to be hunting cheetahs.

You don't think the name implies that? Substitute the word "duck" for "cheetah" and try to argue that it sounds like you're a duck hunting things.

Here are my top 10 bad ride names out of all of the ones that I have mentioned

10. Pandemonium

3. Disaster Transport

I agree with these four. However, Big Spin with Tony Hawk still in the title was just as horrible. And I like the name Pandemonium, it just doesn't fit the ride.

Well, the name "Pandemonium" doesn't really fit in with the skateboarding theme for the former Tony Hawk coasters. We could have a debate over weather or not "Pandemonium" is good name for a skateboard themed coaster until the cows come home, but let's not get in to that discussion!

Cheetah Hunt. They built a ride to celebrate cheetahs, but they gave it a name that says you're going to be hunting cheetahs.

You don't think the name implies that? Substitute the word "duck" for "cheetah" and try to argue that it sounds like you're a duck hunting things.

Context: Do ducks hunt?

Here are 10 strange ones I found in China.

Dragon in Snowfield

Dizzy Love & Whirling Passion

Hand Roller Coaster

High Altitude Rolling Sliding Coaster

Harvest Time

Lovely Fruit Worm Pulley

Small Fruit Worm Coaster

Stress Express

Pig Bug Coaster

Bull Fight in the Sky

These are what happen when they directly translate Mandarin to English (these coasters are not in Canton area luckily )

Here are 10 strange ones I found in China.

Dragon in Snowfield

Dizzy Love & Whirling Passion

Hand Roller Coaster

High Altitude Rolling Sliding Coaster

Harvest Time

Lovely Fruit Worm Pulley

Small Fruit Worm Coaster

Stress Express

Pig Bug Coaster

Bull Fight in the Sky

These are what happen when they directly translate Mandarin to English (these coasters are not in Canton area luckily )

I thought there had to be some sort of translation error, but they still make me laugh when I see them.

^Yeah, those are awesome. I can't help but try to think of, um, "alternate" meanings for some of them.

There's no error. They just translate every word one by one and put them together. For example: Happy Roller Coaster, in Chinese order, Happy-Roller Coaster. They might just used Google translator or even some Chinese Knock-off translator.

I'm still glad that there's no Roller Happily Coaster or Fighting Sky on the Bull etc.

• 7 months later...

Great names that are overused:

Goliath: Great name for a ride but it is so overused. It really should be kept for rides at least above 250 feet, to which there is only one.

Viper: I know vipers are pretty fearsome snakes and the the word makes a great name for a ride, but alas it has been used too many times. There are other dangerous snakes out there.

Generic names (how awkward) :

Roller Coaster: It's fine for older coasters (since usually the rides named Roller Coaster were either the first or in some cases only coaster in the park), but not when it's a new ride. The worst offense goes to what was then known as Manhattan Express, which I thought was a clever name.

Flight Deck: Of all the Cedar Fair renames of the Paramount rides, this one is/was probably the worst. Dominator actually sounds cool (and possibly a better name than Batman: Knight Flight), and Afterburn goes better with the fighter jet theme from the Top Gun movies the rides had. Flight Deck just sounds so bland.

Ride of Steel: I liked the original Superman: Ride of Steel name for the 3 coasters (4, if you count the Spanish name). It was a witty take on Superman's title "The Man of Steel." When Darien Lake was offloaded from Six Flags the Superman part was dropped from the ride. Could they not rename the ride to something? At least Predator wasn't renamed "Ride of Wood."

Big One: What's the biggest coaster at Blackpool?

Coasters that share the model name of the ride:

Yes, that means Boomerang, Wacky Worm, Big Apple, Zyklon, Wildcat, Wild Mouse, etc. The worst is Suspended Looping Coaster, especially if it's one of the Chinese knock-offs (though that said from what I have seen most Chinese knock-off coasters use the model name for the actual ride name), or one of my least favorites, Boomerang: Coast to Coaster. Ugh.

Rides that have the height in the name:

Intimidator is a great name for a ride, and while I can understand putting the heights at the end of that name to differentiate the two coasters, why is Fury Fury 325? Like Intimidator, Fury is an excellent name for the ride and for now there's only one Fury built.

Just plain bad names:

Sooperdooperlooper: I know it was the first vertical looping coaster in the eastern part of the US but the name is just so...dorky.

Rita: What's next, "Tamara?" "Jason?" "Elizabeth?"

Coastrider: Really any pun on "roller coaster" can apply here

Smiler: Sounds like something for a kiddy ride, though in that sense it works well in an oddly twisted way. Kinda makes me want to see a hyper coaster named Wacky Worm.

All that said there are plenty of great names for rides.

10. Pandemonium

9. Nightmare at Phatom Cave/Crackle Axe Canyon

8. (insert intellectual property here): The Ride

7. Iron/Steel (insert some fierce creature here)

5. Smiler

4. Ghoster Coaster

3. Disaster Transport

2. Crazy/Wild (inert some animal here)

Here are some rather much (dis)honorable mentions to the list

.Rudolph 2 Loop Coaster

.Fury 325 (come on, Cedar Fair, not this again with the bad ride names!)

.Backlot Stunt Coaster

.Flight Deck

.Ride of Steel (without Superman, it not longer makes sense for Darien Lake to use the name)