TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Charlie Sheen helps girl injured in the Dells from 2010

Not sure if this was posted yet or not and I apologize if it has been. Tried searching and saw nothing.

The Associated Press

Published Friday, Feb. 15, 2013 6:59AM EST

MILWAUKEE -- There's a 15-year-old Florida girl who didn't really know much about Charlie Sheen before this week -- but does now.

The actor wired $10,000 to Teagan Marti and her family on Thursday for a therapy dog to help in her rehabilitation from injuries sustained when she plummeted 100 feet from a Wisconsin amusement park ride in 2010.

"I think he's a very kind person for helping me and my family and very generous," Teagan said by phone Thursday from her home in Parkland, Florida.

Teagan suffered brain, spine, pelvis and internal injuries in July 2010 when nets and air bags that were supposed to catch riders on a free-fall ride were not raised. She had convinced her family to make the trip from Florida to Extreme World in Wisconsin Dells after seeing the amusement park's Terminal Velocity ride on the Travel Channel.

She was hospitalized in Wisconsin and Florida for three months. She initially had no use of her arms or legs but through physical therapy is able to walk again with a walker.

Teagan's mother, Julie Marti, said they are financially in trouble from the medical bills and her recent divorce. Their house is being foreclosed upon and insurance isn't covering physical therapy anymore, she said. She had no idea how they would pay for the English Golden Retriever puppy.

"I'm in such disbelief," Julie Marti said. "I was crying. ... What a guy. What a guy."

The dog is being trained to turn on lights, pick up objects and be the teen's constant companion.

Read more: http://www.cp24.com/entertainment-news/charlie-sheen-helps-girl-injured-at-amusement-park-1.1157873#ixzz2KymWimW7

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That's impressive. That's actually a genuinely helpful gesture with substance.

I wonder about the guy, though. In recent months, he's been reaching out very publicly to a few people, Lindsay Lohan and the recently departed ex-LAPD officer that killed 4 people and was the subject of an extensive manhunt, among several others. It kind of reminds me of people who are everyone's best friend when they're sloshed.

If that means actually helping people who could use the help (and not just showing up at a children's hospital with photographers and a camera crew for 15 minutes and then booking it once they're done taking pictures as "evidence" of what a great person they are- as too often happens with athletes or celebrities) - then that's great, no harm in that.

^ The park closed the summer after the accident. I've heard it's been purchased by someone else, but not sure if it ever re-opened. And this is also the Dells where signs like "RIDE AT YOUR OWN RISK" are everywhere. I'm assuming even if they sued the owners, they don't have any money either. It's such a shady place.

I didn't believe it until now, but Charlie Sheen really does have Tiger blood ( or just a good heart to help someone in need - I think we all could learn something from this)!!!

"And people thought Charlie Sheen was loony tunes? I tell you who the looney tunes are - the one who rather post their replies instead of lying in bed and getting the R&R they all need."

I've heard it's been purchased by someone else, but not sure if it ever re-opened.

The alligator place next door bought it. They reopened the bungee jump, but the slingshot was removed and the scad tower is SBNO.

The old owners went bankrupt and had the property foreclosed on, so you're probably right in assuming that they had no money even before the accident.

^Haha!

That is really cool he helped her out. I still can't believe that she not only lived, but can walk!

It's unfortunate they weren't compensated and taken care of to begin with.

Edited by jray21