TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Magic Springs & Crystal Falls Discussion Thread

• 1 year later...

Magic Springs & Crystal Falls has sent us a press release regarding their water park's latest addition, the Boogie Blast.

Learning to surf will no longer require a trip to the beach when Magic Springs & Crystal Falls opens the new Boogie Blast surf simulation ride this summer. The park, which offers pay-one-price admission to both the theme park and water park, today announced that the internationally-popular surfing ride will open to guests this summer. Boogie Blast will be open to all skill levels with absolutely no experience necessary to catch a wave.

The unique design for Boogie Blast was created by surfers and designed to simulate the type of experience loved by fans of skateboarding, body boarding, wakeboarding, skim boarding, and snowboarding. To deliver the authentic effect, submersible propeller pumps located in the pool below the attraction inject a three-inch sheet of water over the ride surface creating a surfable wave. Adjustable speed and water flow will make Boogie Blast a thrill for all skill levels.

“Expanding our water park with the addition of Boogie Blast is going to be fun for first-timers who want to try the board experience and for spectators who want a close-up view of the inevitable wipe-outs,” said Dana Whisenhunt, Marketing Manager. “One of the most appealing aspects of the surf simulation ride is the combination of fun, skill, and challenge. Once you get on a board for the first time, get knocked down, and get back up again, the drive to improve becomes addictive.”

A “double” version of this ride is on-deck for Magic Springs & Crystal Falls, allowing multiple surfers to carve a wave at the same time. Boogie Blast will be located in the park’s well-known Crystal Falls water park.

Earlier this year, Magic Springs & Crystal Falls announced that, for the first time in history, live daily shows will be part of the park’s summer attractions. Magic Springs has partnered with a New York-based production company to bring the best in live family entertainment to the heart of Arkansas. The popular children’s program, Bob the Builder, will come alive on stage in “Bob the Builder, Live at Magic Springs!,” and guests of all ages can embark upon a musical adventure called “Swingin’ Safari.”

Magic Springs & Crystal Falls will also launch a 13-date free concert series beginning May 15 in Timberwood Amphitheater. National performing artists like Billy Currington, Joe Nichols, Randy Travis and Pat Green will take the stage with popular bands including Skillet for an all-star summer line-up culminating with Christian Youth Week August 8-14.

For more information visit the new addition's official website: http://magicsprings.com/boogieblast.aspx

boogie_blast_pg.jpg.1b4634d226a20d0de66a58ce10cda067.jpg

Edited by jedimaster1227

It seems like last year was just a rough transition to PARC Management. Now that the new season is ahead of us, it looks like they've gotten past last year and are making good plans for this year.

Oh, and I can't wait to try my first Flowrider!

• 2 months later...

Does anyone have an update on X Coaster? It's past Memorial Day and I'm curious if they met their goal of reopening.

I may plan a trip to this park next month (since it seems they are always struggling) and would of course prefer all the coasters to be running.

Bump for anyone who can help me with info for this park.

In addition to still wondering about my inquiry for X Coaster, how are the crowds at this park in July? How long would it take to get through this park?

I know attendance has gone down due to the park's previous [mis]management, but just curious if anyone is local and can provide an update.

According to Magic Springs facebook page the X coaster is still down and they are "working diligently on re-openng X Coaster".

I have been a season pass holder for the past 7 years and I have found any day but Saturday to be a good to visit the park. Saturdays are too crowded.

This year there are concerts on some Thursday nights. I would check the concert schedule on the parks web-site and avoid these Thursdays, or at least plan to be out of the park by 5:00 PM.

The water park is the main attraction in the summer, expect long lines on the slides just about any day of the week. However, the Amusement rides will mostly be "walk-ons" any day but Saturday. You should be able to hit every coaster within one hour and hit all the other rides within 2 hours. On Sundays I have been able to ride Arkansas Twister up to 10 times in a row without having to get out of my seat.

Be aware that Arkansas Twister is a little bit tough to locate. You get to it from an area near the front gate that leads you down a long trail in between the two water slide towers and you keep on going past the picnic pavilions and almost to the Timberwood Amphitheatre. The rest of the amusement rides are on the opposite side of the park.

I used to visit the park every week, so if you have any other questions feel free to ask. I know the park like the back of my hand. (I have not been on any of the water-slides though).

• 1 year later...

http://www.therepublic.com/view/story/c8ee5192ed0043de92415b0f186d6397/AR--Magic-Springs-Alcohol-Permits/

Magic Springs & Crystal Falls amusement park in Hot Springs has been denied in its request to expand the sites at which it can sell beer and wine.

The Arkansas Beverage Control Division said Tuesday the director denied the applications because of objections from Hot Springs Mayor Ruth Carney.

The Sentinel-Record reports (http://is.gd/eRwtcV ) that Carney sits on the board of a substance abuse treatment group and says she wants the park to scale back sites where it sells beer and wine.

The park, which is under new management, wants to expand from five to seven the places where it serves alcohol.

Despite the denial, the park will be able to continue serving alcohol in the five existing sites when it reopens in the spring.

The park can appeal the decision.

• 9 months later...

X-Coaster will finally be removed from the park.

Magic Springs Water and Theme Park announced today that X-Coaster will be retiring at the end of the 2012 season and that plans are underway for a major new water park addition in 2013. By visiting the park’s annual Halloween event, Magic Screams, guests can take their last flight on X-Coaster and enjoy all the spooktacular fun with family and friends.

“We are planning a multi-million dollar water park expansion for Magic Springs and Crystal Falls in 2013,” said Steve Honeycutt, the park’s general manager. “This will be the fourth major construction project in the water park since 2008, and with triple-digit summers in Arkansas, we sure need it. Our guests tell us all the time one of their favorite ways to beat the heat is in our water park so we’re adding something big they can all enjoy.”

http://www.magicsprings.com/news/

It might not sit well with the enthusiast community, but sounds like a good financial move to expand the waterpark.

When I visited during the dog days of summer in 2012, the waterpark was slammed and the ride side was empty. This seems to becoming a trend at many independent parks in smaller southern US markets.

For those unfamiliar with the parks layout, the water will not expand into X-Coasters footprint as the coaster is far from the waterpark so there could be other motives (i.e.: maintence, operations cost, low ridership) for the removal. There was a crane/cherry picker sit right next to the coaster last summer. I asked the ride operator if it was there in case X-coaster got stuck and she said no it was there for daily morning maintenance checks. It was easier to keep it there than to move it every morning. Sounded fishy to me.

X had been neutered over the years to save on parts and downtime, i.e. it only ran about half it's intended ride cycle and it's been a problematic ride with less than stellar maintenance and up time under previous management. The rides side in general is really nothing to write home about, an SLC, mouse, mine train, kiddie coaster, and Arkansas Twister(which is a decent out and back minus the trains) and several carnival style flats. Save for Arkansas Twister I really didn't care to re-ride anything there.

That being said, when you mix in the water side you had a nice recipe for success with vibrant grounds and decent food offerings. I won't be sad to see X-Coaster go bon voyage, it wasn't that great, but I am thrilled CNL is investing in the park for continued growth. Doubt you will ever see a huge Intamin or B&M go in that park, but I could see MACK doing something nice in the future.

Glad I got my last ride in on X-Coaster before I was relocated!! It was a fun little ride, but I can see why the park is removing it. There would be days I would go and I could just sit on the ride and ride it over and over and over, many times being the only one on it. It was one of those rides that many people rode once, and got off saying "Never again" It seems to have become a bit more rough in time. Even more so in the back seat going into the dive. Not to mention how uncomfortable the restraints became after the ride cycle. I am glad to see the park making a smart move in removing an attraction to bring more to the waterpark. The waterpark had a nice mix, but something new is needed!! Can not wait to see what they have in store!!

~Matt

X had been neutered over the years to save on parts and downtime, i.e. it only ran about half it's intended ride cycle and it's been a problematic ride with less than stellar maintenance and up time under previous management.

That's basically what I was thinking about this news. Hopefully they will replace it with another coaster in the near future. The water park expansion seems like the right idea for them right now.

The rides side in general is really nothing to write home about, an SLC, mouse, mine train, kiddie coaster, and Arkansas Twister(which is a decent out and back minus the trains) and several carnival style flats. Save for Arkansas Twister I really didn't care to re-ride anything there.

My issues with the ride side is not only lack of quality but lack of quantity also.

Doubt I'll ever get to ride one but how are these Maurer Sohne Sky Loop rides?

Like this: http://coasterguyonline.com/coasterblog/2012/8/7/x-coaster

I liked the ride a lot (obviously) but the locals didn't seem to be riding it much at all. There was a pretty substantial wait (20-30min, which is substantial for Magic Springs) on the other stuff that day, but X-coaster was usually a walk-on, or a one-train wait at most.

While I'm sad to see such a unique coaster go away, my preference is for the park to do whatever it needs to do to stay financially healthy and popular.

The water park and the concert series thats free for those that buy admission to the park are driving the park. Being an Arkie, I'd love to see a couple of the smaller footprint rides like an S&S el loco or something go in. A Mack Spinner would rock. My wish would be to for Magic Springs to purchase and relocate OZcat there but Herchend seems content on letting it rot.

^My assumption would be that being a smaller park, they were unable to afford to properly maintain it. I imagine ordering parts and getting technical support from Maurer Sohne is slightly more expensive on this side of the world, in addition to the labor costs and what not as well.

^Is it me or does that transition from the roll into the dive @ 1:32 look really rough and snappy.

The ride isn't really rough--just kind of gimmicky and freaky. I was surprised at how much fun it really was (at least in China).

Screamscape thinks this small footprint coaster is going to Elitch Gardens. Its managed by HFEC but owned by the some outfit that owns Magic Springs. Now Herschend manages Darien Lake owned by same outfit. I could swear there's an S&S shot tower still sitting at Celebration City along with OzCat and Flume ride.