TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Inverted Coaster Lapbars

Okay,

So I believe that KUMBAK? Coasters has already installed a lap-barred inverted train system on an SLC in Austrailia. What do you think the chances would be of someone like B&M going OTSR-Less on their inverteds of Floorless coasters?

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just by coincidence I happen to be waiting in line for Arkham Asylum at the moment! There are indeed seatbelts over the shoulders. Makes a huge difference to the ride experience, none of that classic SLC head-banging or concussion. Hopefully we'll see more SLC trains like this in the future, because with them it's not a bad ride at all.

Edited by azza29

Arkham Asylums harness system is great for reducing the headbanging / discomfort from the ride... HOWEVER one of the major drawbacks is the lap bar design. As the ride goes through the loops it keeps pushing further and further down to the point that your legs cramp up by the time you come into the station. Overall it's much better than the old SLC harnesses... but they still could make improvements to the design.

I highly doubt that B&M will put a new restraint system on Inverted and Floorless (and subsequently sit-down) coasters. The current shoulder harness that they have now is an incredibly simplistic design (the metal part, not the padding) that helps the trains to sit four people comfortably in a minimal amount of space.

Notice how close the seats are in this photo of the Cedar Point Raptor. The seats on the Gardaland Raptor are further apart because of the new restraint system's design.

B&M would most likely have to redesign all of their train chassis(s?) to accommodate the new system. I bet that wider trains would mean that they would have to use slightly wider track as well.

Gotta add my 2 cents (as usual) on the Vekoma "vest" design. They suck. Being held down and shaken is an alternative to being bopped around in shoulder bars, but not a more enjoyable experience. I think I may be a minority on this issue

I agree! The vests on Great Nor'Easter at Morey's Pier do not help at all. In fact, it's the most painful SLC I've been on. Sounds like the "seatbelt" style straps are much more comfortable.

The lab-bar only design on the newer Jr. suspendeds (like Jimmy Neutron at Movie Park Germany) are very comfortable, I wonder if it's possible to adapt those to an SLC?

Arkham Asylum IS a rough ride, and always will be. It's still using the original Vekoma chassis on the train, but the hangers (seats) were the only component that was change. The chassis did have minor modifications to allow for the eddy current brakes to stop the train on the main brake run instead of using the air brakes used on most other SLC's. In my opinion I like the ride having that rough, out of control feeling... because it does not have the headbanging anymore. I think once the harness issue with it pushing down on your legs tighter and tighter is fixed ALL of the SLC's should be retrofitted with these trains!