TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Reprofiled Coasters

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Both of the Demon coasters at the Great America parks are the results of reprofiling. They were known in the 70s as Turn of the Century, and the layout was the same, except the track was white, and two ejector air-inducing hills followed the first drop. But in 1980, as inversions began to become more popular, both parks removed the airtime hills and replaced them with vertical loops. Add tunnels, rock formations, and extensive theming (and painting the track black), and they had a reimagined thrill ride.

Demon in California was again re-profiled (in the 90s?). The first drop was changed closer to what it was during TOC. Here at Great America, Gurnee, we still have our kick butt drop

• 1 year later...

If I'm not mistaken, didn't Mantis at CP have a similar queue situation during its opening year? I think I remember seeing somewhere that its queue crossed the CP&LE tracks that summer, not unlike Shoot the Rapids.

When I went in 1998 you still had to cross the railroad tracks to get to the line for Mantis.

Viper at SFMM actually had its first drop reprofiled. Proof is in the video's below

Here is the original drop (skip to 6:36) which you can see used to have a harsh snap as it leveled out at the bottom.

[youtu_be]

[/youtu_be]

And here is the current drop (skip to 2:29) which you can notice is snap free.

[youtu_be]

[/youtu_be]

Timberwolf, Texas Cyclone, Georgia Cyclone, SFNE (Riverside) Cyclone, Texas Giant (wooden version; double-up was removed). American Eagle (Bill Cobb removed some negative G's around 1982).

And very sadly - the Coney Island (I mean Luna Park) Cyclone. Now, we gotta say "anything that GCI gets their hands on."

How much re-work was done to Thunder Run at Kentucky Kingdom? Just a re-track or did it get any modifications?

I think the most recent re- do was simply new track, but I do know that when it first opened it had a double up instead of the gradual air-time hill after the second turn around.

The Big One at Blackpool Pleasure Beach had its first drop redone and the turnaround was retracked as well.

The first drop was done for comfort reasons I believe and the turnaround was done because it didn't always get round it, with the winds coming directly off the Irish sea (Great design decision )

The track followed the box section originally and then they retracked it how it is now, as far as I'm aware.

Additionally, the track around the first two "airtime" hills gets replaced every few seasons.

• 6 months later...

Excalibur at Valleyfair had an airtime hill after the first drop during it's first season of operation, but it was removed the following offseason. I never rode it while it had the airtime hill, but based on what I've heard about it, I guess I'm lucky I didn't experience it. A part of the turnaround was also reprofiled in the early 2000s.

The Legend at Arnold's Park in Iowa was reprofiled by GCI recently. I should get down there next year to check it out.

When Kennywood's Thunderbolt first opened, it had was is referred to as a "speed bump." It was along the inside of those famous turns and was removed after the 1968 season. The reason was never given, but it was believed to be too intense for riders at the time.

Searching for a picture actually brought me back to TPR at Shane's Amusement Attic. A big thanks to Shane!

tbolt_180.jpg

When Kennywood's Thunderbolt first opened, it had was is referred to as a "speed bump." It was along the inside of those famous turns and was removed after the 1968 season. The reason was never given, but it was believed to be too intense for riders at the time.

Searching for a picture actually brought me back to TPR at Shane's Amusement Attic. A big thanks to Shane!

tbolt_180.jpg

I guess too much lateral force?

That hill looks really nice though.

Anyone remember the odd transition at the top of Phantom's Revenge's second drop during the 2009 season when they replaced the Arrow track from the top of the lift through the second hill? I could imagine it threw a few unsuspecting riders for quite a jolt. I remember hearing about it before I rode, so I was ready. But it was a whole lot of awkward.

^I'm sure it had something to do with age, wear, and better engineering for smoother, more comfortable, and less structurally stressful transitions on the high stress portions of the twisting first drop and up into the second hill. I think there was just a flaw in how they reprofiled the top of the second drop. It was fixed by 2010.

tbolt_180.jpg

Ah yes I remember hearing about this change in Memories of Kennywood.

4:12