TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Your first Arrow Dynamics coaster

• Replies 368
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I always read these forums but don't post alot..... but I thought I'd share.

Mine was Great American Scream Machine as SFGAdv. This is the coaster that started it all for me. I can remember driving into the parking lot and being in absolute awe when I was 13. I know the ride got a lot of hate but it was always one of my absolute favorites due to its size intensity and dominance over the front of the park. I never had a problem with the roughness.

When I found out it was closing I immediately bought the tickets to be on the last ride for me and my cousin. Being on the last ride ever (2nd car, 1st row) was something I'll never forget. Everyone was going crazy when they sent us around twice haha.

Mine was Great American Scream Machine as SFGAdv. This is the coaster that started it all for me. I can remember driving into the parking lot and being in absolute awe when I was 13. I know the ride got a lot of hate but it was always one of my absolute favorites due to its size intensity and dominance over the front of the park. I never had a problem with the roughness.

When I found out it was closing I immediately bought the tickets to be on the last ride for me and my cousin. Being on the last ride ever (2nd car, 1st row) was something I'll never forget. Everyone was going crazy when they sent us around twice haha.

Great story! I really loved that coaster too and to me it was iconic. A classic that dominated the park's skyline. It was so much better than Green Lantern (although I did like that one when it was still Chang back at SFKK).

Great story! I really loved that coaster too and to me it was iconic. A classic that dominated the park's skyline. It was so much better than Green Lantern (although I did like that one when it was still Chang back at SFKK).

I totally agree....ever since they took it down I feel like the coaster lineup took a hit since pretty much every other large steel coaster is B&M (except Ka but that's over in 10 seconds). To me the B&Ms all kind of "feel" the same and GASM was a completely different animal. On paper we have one of the best lineups around and I'm sure I'm in the minority here, but the removal of GASM has always bothered me.

- Runaway Mine Train built in 1974 at SFGA (still running!)....I probably rode it for the 1st time around 1978

That said- the biggest "WOW" factor I had on an Arrow was Lightin' Loops at SFGA (built in 1978).....I can't believe one of the "loops" is still running at Frontier City! It would bring back great memories of my childhood, running up the steps again and again to get on that thing! (of course on the higher of the two loops- that would be the red side I believe)

I can still remember a couple things about that coaster:

- first coaster to feature interlocking loops

- (what I call) the "windup" with that "dolly" pushing the train down the straightaway (vvvvvvvuuuuuuupppppmmmmp!)

- the little bit of "give" on the restraints, that would cause you to slam back down in your seat

- the shaking of the staircase after the launch! And how many people would bail from the line because they got scared!

Here's a link to the article that explained how the death on Lightin' Loops occurred, along with a Wikipedia summary below:

http://articles.philly.com/1987-06-19/news/26184858_1_safety-bar-amusement-park-operators

From Wikipedia:

"On Wednesday, June 17, 1987, 19-year-old Karen Brown of Chester, PA fell 75 feet (23 m) to her death. She wasn't properly secured, and the ride took off. Karen was pronounced dead at Freehold Hospital with Basilar skull fracture from the fall. An investigation by the State Labor Department concluded that the ride itself was operating properly, but that the ride operator started the ride without having made sure that all of the passengers were secured by the safety harnesses. The Department's Office of Safety Compliance further concluded that the accident would not have occurred had proper procedures been followed.

The park was found to be in violation of the Carnival/Amusement Ride Safety Act and was subsequently charged with the maximum state fines of $1,000. The ride was reopened on Saturday, October 10, 1987, with the permission of the Labor Department."

Edited by strz

• 2 months later...

I totally agree....ever since they took it down I feel like the coaster lineup took a hit since pretty much every other large steel coaster is B&M (except Ka but that's over in 10 seconds). To me the B&Ms all kind of "feel" the same and GASM was a completely different animal. On paper we have one of the best lineups around and I'm sure I'm in the minority here, but the removal of GASM has always bothered me.

image.gif.f9b21e7c99548d579fdbb6e56a8ad94d.gif