TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Coasting for Kids 2013 - Be part of Team TPR!

• Replies 566
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wish families don't just get to go to the amusement parks, the parks also come to them! Our wonderful partners at SeaWorld, Universal, Disney and Nickelodeon Suites bring their friends out to the Village each week to interact with the kids in a one-on-one setting.

Each Monday evening, the animal experts at Discovery Cove bring some interesting creatures for the kids to experience up-close.

Armadillo.jpg.d6b7c0314c2c0253880c86f41e277246.jpg

Armadillos look cutest when they do their roll-into-a-ball-trick

Sloth.jpg.8b6106b92152cdf5fa6ad6c68fc8bd6d.jpg

The sloth is always a crowd favorite

High-five to the awesome trainers at DC for packing up these special critters, driving to the Village, doing animal encounters and then transporting everything back EVERY week just to bring smiles to the faces of GKTW families.

On Monday and Thursday mornings, Disney characters visit the Village to spend quality time with GKTW Families. Our normal line-up is Mickey and Minnie, Belle or Mary Poppins and Goofy or Pluto.

Mickey.jpg.6b1daf5e8d7f3475b47327a1ef7c05d6.jpg

Belle.jpg.d0f8c76bd75ace121021d54364b9caf7.jpg

Pluto.jpg.22d72785db564a042d96ec3fe613e2ed.jpg

The funds that all of you are raising will provide priceless memories like these for more deserving families!

While we are fortunate that in-kind donations such as tickets and transportation are provided by our Corporate Partners, we assign a dollar value of approximately $5k to make each family's dream vacation come true. This includes accommodations, meals, entertainment and more special surprises for the wish child, his/her brothers and sisters and parents. Team TPR raised nearly $40k for Coasting For Kids last year, meaning that 8 entire families enjoyed a whole week full of magical and memorable moments together thanks to TPR.

Beyond happiness, these moments provide the wish child something money can't buy-- hope. We hear it constantly; this one week of "escape" for the families changes their lives forever. The children go back with a renewed sense of hope and strength to keep fighting their battle to survive. When a child is in low spirits after a particularly rough treatment, families flip through their photo albums and relive their time spent at GKTW..."it's like magical medicine," one wish child told us.

Just signed up for Carowinds for the second year!!

https://www.firstgiving.com/fundraiser/matthewknudson/Carowinds2013

Hey I'm doing Carowinds with you! What rides were included last year?

Thanks and look forward to meeting you

We did Thunder Road... I doubt it would be intimidator, though it would be awesome. I am just hoping it is not Hurler or Carolina Cobra (Don't think I could do either more than once or twice)

Hooray for more sign-ups...thank you, thank you, THANK YOU!

On Wednesday and Saturday mornings families can mosey on over to Keaton's Korral for horse and pony rides. Three of our wonderful Korral volunteers (all trained in horse therapy) assist each child as they go for a guided trot on these amazing animals. If the child isn't able to support themselves, a volunteer will ride on the horse with them. We have a ramp that raises to the same level as the horse's back to make it easy on the little ones and for those transferring from wheelchairs.

KeatonsKorral.jpg.94eca5c47571d8617dbb9738750792d3.jpg

After they finish their ride, each child is rewarded with a certificate and a souvenir cowboy hat. I just love the mornings where I see the kids walking around proudly in their hats! Because of this special program, many children ride for their first time at GKTW. Parents who thought it would never be possible for their son/daughter to participate just smile in awe as their child experiences what it's like to be a kid again.

I'm positive I've shared the below photo before, but it's worth posting again...a picture really is worth a thousand words.

cowboyhats.jpg.1f27ed2ae78d4e3214a1b17a443a0421.jpg

^Thanks Shawn and everyone else who has posted similar comments!

If you can't tell, I'm pretty enthusiastic about what we do and I love sharing it with others. TPR members are some of the greatest fundraisers and advocates we have for this event and for GKTW and I hope these posts give you a better understanding of what it is you're helping to provide.

If our riders could remember just one of these tidbits and, when the train pulls into the station and there's a member of the general public standing behind the airgate for your row, take 30 seconds and share it with them. It will help them understand what this event is all about, alleviate any discouragement they have from waiting in a longer line and ultimately strengthen our partnership with Cedar Fair and awareness for our mission. Plus, it's a good way to break up your day!

^ What an awesome post Kara, and truer words have never been said. Being able to donate (both funds and time) to an organization like GKTW, and an event like Coasting For Kids, is truly what is important in life. These kids need, and deserve, our support and love.

If you haven't done so already, donate to someone from Team TPR. You will make a difference and feel really great about it too!

If you don't mind, Kara, I'm borrowing that gem to post on my Facebook page. Great stuff!

Team TPR has already raised $4,779 for Coasting For Kids! Since our Team TPR effort didn't even start until March 22nd in 2012, I'd say that we're already WELL AHEAD of where we were this time last year!

Can we get to $10k by March 22nd this year? Let's give it a try....

^^ WOW that is a lot already! I am so excited to be taking part in this amazing event again this year.

Come on TPR, lets get this done and raise $10K by March 22nd!! Even if you are not participating you can help by just donating to just one person's page that is participating. This event means the world to Give Kids The World. What I try to tell people is even just $5 helps more than they know.

Team TPR has already raised $4,779 for Coasting For Kids! Since our Team TPR effort didn't even start until March 22nd in 2012, I'd say that we're already WELL AHEAD of where we were this time last year!

Team TPR is by far the largest fundraiser so far! I have no doubt we will raise the bar even higher than last year!

Once I get my work assignment squared away for this summer, I will definitely be signing up again!

I'm back from a trip this weekend, and caught up on the thread. Kara, what wonderful stories you have posted. How wonderful that those kids get to pet a sloth and ride pony's and see the characters!

Loving the totals team TPR is raising so far this year, I'm sure we can raise even more money this year!

^ Kara, it really is so awesome that all those different characters from the different parks in the area stop by to visit the kids! That has to make them feel so special!

This start by Team TPR has been awesome! Way to go, everyone!! With the extra fundraising time, if we manage to hit $10k by March 22nd (and considering the total raised last year), dare I say that maybe $50k raised by the event is possible? Keep up the stellar work, everybody!!