TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Coasting for Kids 2013 - Be part of Team TPR!

• Replies 566
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a great offer to anyone who likes hockey and is within driving distance of Columbus, OH.

The first person who donates a minimum of $40 I will give you my ticket to one[/u ]of the following games - your choice:

March 3 vs Colorado

March 9 vs Detroit (I know Detroit fans will drive to Columbus)

March 16 vs Pheonix

I know I won't make the drive up there 3 weekends in a row, so I am willing to give up my ticket to one of them. If you were to buy this ticket it is $50 + $9 in fees, so a $40 donation is a great deal!

During their stay at GKTW Village, families can schedule a special tuck-in visit by either Mayor Clayton or Ms. Merry. The Claytons are close friends of mine, and I've been lucky enough to drive their special golf cart from villa to villa for their nightly rounds. It's easy to see why this is their favorite duty as Mayor and Mayoress....when we pull up, the kids are usually watching excitedly for us out the window. Mayor or Merry hops their way into the villa and is met by smiles and laughs. When it comes time for bed, the mischievous bunnies usually instigate a pillow fight or game of hide and go seek before settling down to tuck the child in. While the kids can't take their eyes off of their six-foot-rabbit friends, I usually sneak a peek at a teary-eyed Mom/Dad, smiling from ear to ear as they watch such a precious memory being made.

TuckIn.jpg.7074b5b81fe484fec695ae0d47c47f88.jpg

I have some money to donate today so lets get some money flowing. The first four people who donate $5 to my page will get $15 back to theirs in return.

Thanks, Jeremiah!

Sue

Edited by Sue

^ I love reading these when you post them!

I have some money to donate today so lets get some money flowing. The first four people who donate $5 to my page will get $15 back to theirs in return.

Donation made! What a generous offer, Jeremiah! I wish you the best of luck in your fundraising efforts!

Hopefully a quick-ish question:

Has anyone had experiences with those who wish to donate "offline"? I have a few family members who refuse to use that consarned Internets and want to write a check.

Who do they make the check out to? Give Kids the World?

I imagine they should also either have information on the check or handy if they want GKTW to send them a letter acknowledging the donation too.

Thanks everyone!

Quick question, my wife and I are hopefully doing this event this yearand we were wondering if you're able to take breaks during the ride times or is it a continuous marathon riding with pre-determined break times? (We're hoping to join the Knott's Berry Farm event)

You don't HAVE to ride the entire time, but I think if you're signing up for the event, you should try to stick with the group and ride as much as possible to show your support.

I know a lot of people last year seemed to just ride once or twice, and then just take off and do whatever they wanted to in the park. While I know there is nothing stopping anyone from doing this, I kinda think that if the park has gone out of their way to reserve you spots on the coaster, organize the event, etc, you should probably stick with the other event participants.

But yes, you can totally take breaks if you need to or start to feel tired, etc.

Quick question, my wife and I are hopefully doing this event this yearand we were wondering if you're able to take breaks during the ride times or is it a continuous marathon riding with pre-determined break times? (We're hoping to join the Knott's Berry Farm event)

You don't HAVE to ride the entire time, but I think if you're signing up for the event, you should try to stick with the group and ride as much as possible to show your support.

I know a lot of people last year seemed to just ride once or twice, and then just take off and do whatever they wanted to in the park. While I know there is nothing stopping anyone from doing this, I kinda think that if the park has gone out of their way to reserve you spots on the coaster, organize the event, etc, you should probably stick with the other event participants.

But yes, you can totally take breaks if you need to or start to feel tired, etc.

I totally agree! If we join, we understand the purpose and we want to follow through with the commitment we make with the GTKW organization and the people who sponsor us. I'm just glad to know the breaks are given as needed because we haven't done an event like this before. I appreciate everyone's helpful advice!

Robb hit the nail on the head and I'll mirror his statement for everyone (not just because it was asked)-- the spirit of the event is to marathon and ride as much as possible, but bathroom breaks, water breaks and "I feel sick" breaks are encouraged. Each park also has a lunch break where the entire group will get off the ride. Your Coasting For Kids shirt serves as an indicator to the ride ops that you can come back up the exit ramp after a break and get on the next time the C4K train is in the station. Around the 5-6 hour mark, many people get drained. When I hit this wall, I think of all these kids go through on a daily basis and power through.

Josh, I did the event at Knott's last year and Jaguar is easy and FUN to marathon. The coaster goes over walkways and by other rides where you can people watch and wave at passers-by...it was good times. I would recommend bringing a hoodie to tie around your waist. It's not the best fashion statement, but I could've used the extra cushioning. My riding partner and I switched every hour to even out our sore butts .

Psionic Monkey, you can absolutely accept cash or checks made out to "Give Kids The World." Most checks already have the person's name/address/phone on them, but if you take cash be sure to record your donor's info. After getting an offline donation, log-in to your FirstGiving page and click on "Enter offline donation." You'll then be prompted to enter the donor's info. Once completed, the offline donation will be reflected on the thermometer on your fundraising page. All offline donations are collected at check-in on the day of the event.

Because many of us will be making frequent contributions to a variety of riders' pages over the next few months, we send out the acknowledgement letters following the event. The letter will go to each of your donors (online and offline) and state the amount that they contributed overall (even if spread across multiple pages), as well as how much the event raised total. This can be used for tax purposes. One exception, if anyone makes a contribution of $100 or more to a single page, they will receive a letter within 2 weeks of when they made the donation and another one following the event sharing their total contributions to the event.

You guys are awesome!

^ Thanks for the advice! Jaguar is a fun coaster to marathon in and thank you for letting us know about bringing some 'cushion' for ourselves while we ride! We hope we can join because it sounds like a great opportunity to help kids enjoy life no matter what obstacles they face!

Robb is right. Staying at the designated ride is the point of the event. Last year at Dorney they only used Steel Force and that is pretty smooth coaster to ride over and over again. Plus the marathoning usually ends about 5 or 6 PM and most parks are open until 8 or 9 that day anyway. With it being a Sunday you can definitely get any other rides in you want on other rides there.

As everyone said breaks are encouraged and at your leisure. During the 2011 event I even took a nap on Gemini's exit stairs. I was supposed to get off work at 1am the night before which would have left time for a good nap prior to the event but ended up stuck at work till past 6 and I was almost late instead. I tried to tough it out but by about 1pm I was falling asleep on the lift hill every lap. I curled up on the stairs and slept until one of the other riders shook me awake and handed me a bottle of water because he was worried I had heat stroke.