TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Best Coaster Layouts

This may be a weird question, (but then again, what on this forum isn't?) but what's the best layout on any coaster you've ever ridden/seen? Steel, wood, aqua, whatever. Not looking for best rides altogether, just the layout itself. Whether it's twisty, lofty, straight, compact, or makes good use of the terrain, post it.

r78.png.4dfefc6f63ed3b134986687e7174e169.png

My vote will have to go to Thunderhead at Dollywood. Runners up are Silver Bullet and Vild-Svinet.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Although I've never ridden it, and probably never will, Mountain Flyer at Knight Valley has a sweet layout that uses the terrain well.

782054715_knightvalleycoaster.JPG.d19ec325d4a9cd108a02555e78972788.JPG

Unfortunately, Google Maps doesn't have the highest quality image for this part of China.

Also, I love Maverick's layout. It progresses from the turns and twisties, to a sweet combination of airtime followed by inversions in the twisted horseshoe roll. Then the climax of the launch and quick turns, and the incredible finish of back-to-back stengel dives. There's a reason it sits at #3 on my list.

The more twisted, the better.

Premier Spaghetti Bowls: As much as I love indoor coasters, the layout for these is the reason I'm so glad two of them are outdoors. They're a sight to behold off-ride and make for some wickedly convincing headchoppers on-ride.

At least from appearances, Xpress at Walibit Holland, which shares a layout with the Rock 'n' Roller Coasters, is another one of the better examples of the compact-and-ultra-twisted genre.

American Thunder and Thunderbird: I think these compact rides just might be the best at living up to the name of "twister." Plus, I love the small straight series of bunny hops that adds to the classic feel.

Boardwalk Bullet: Another compact twister, this one sends you deep into the structure for head-chopping, tunnel-like fun. With such an ideally intense layout, it's too bad the ride quality leaves so much room for improvement.

If anyone thinks like me, please post anything that rivals or beats my picks!

Personally, I prefer classic layouts like the out and back. Something about hill after hill is what makes a roller coaster, well, look like a roller coaster.

640696593_shiveringtimbers.thumb.PNG.864a34f1ee617c3c5e50198946f2ac2a.PNG

About 1/2 a mile one way, and about 1/2 a mile back!

Timbers is by far my favorite, if you haven't noticed. Unfortunately when Michigan's Adventure was being developed during the 60's as Deer Park, they cleared all of the trees off of a majority of the property to make a deer preserve so Timbers is built into a middle of a field, but could you imagine if it was heavily forested like the surrounding area? Would have made quite an awesome ride!

Although don't get me wrong, the layouts of GCI's coasters are a feat onto themselves! I don't think people 50 years ago could imagine wooden coasters bending and turning that way without it being a deathtrap!

The more compact, the more I like! Possibly because living here in northern Europe, parks don't have that much money or space (I'm looking at you Gröna Lund ) to build mega rides, they have to make every square meter count. I believe Schwarzkopf Jet Stars capture this idea.

I absolutely love Bizarro's (SFNE) layout! To me, it's the perfect combination of out-and-back and twister. Sure the spaghetti bowl may not be the most compact, but I love the way all the elements interact with each other; and the dive into a mist-filled tunnel gives it plenty more points.

BizarroBowl.JPG.06512ee74504fe12c0d69e37e18d1599.JPG

Also on my list: Gwazi. It's a shame the coaster beats the living snot out of you because the layout really is one of the most beautiful things I've seen coasters do.

(A lot of GCIs are making the list!!)

Gwazi.JPG.6fdcc612237526d7c6d6db66cf55957d.JPG

• 1 month later...

For steel coasters, my favorites are those that are a hybrid of both out and back and twister elements. If it is a choice between a pure out and back layout and a pure twister layout, however, I'd pick the twister. I generally find a single out and back somewhat boring, but multiple out and back rides can make good layouts. Terrain steel coasters tend to be hit or miss with me. For a small family coaster, I have yet to find something better than a standard wild mouse.

For wood coasters, I actually prefer the standard out and back layouts, specifically rides that are just a continuous series of hills (straight layouts are generally better for this than bent ones). Hybrid layouts work well on wooden coasters as well, but I'm not a huge fan of pure twisters for woodies as they tend to get rough the quickest and often aren't as exciting as they appear. Terrain woodies are also great, and they usually give the best night rides.

I would place my vote for the Jack Rabbit at Kennywood because I love how they were able to build this coaster using mininum wood and taking advantage of the hills and natural terrain.

Then I would like to add the Plitzer at Morey's Piers and how they were able to utilize all the dips, curves and turns in the least amount of space possible. It is just a plain shame there aren't more of these type of coasters out there.

But as for the most recent and most awesome coaster with a layout that blows your mind class - I would have to say that honor would fall on Shivering Timbers. Just the look of that out and back coaster with a helix at the end just sends chills down your spine, especially when viewed up from above.

"I'm not perfect; I just love to ride!!!"

THIS IS MY 500th POST; PASS OUT THE CHAMPAGNE!!!

If we're talking "layout" and not "terrain", my votes would be

1 - Intamin mega lite - The way it keeps it's speed and intensity throughout is just remarkable for such a small coaster

2 - Nemesis inferno - There's just something about it that's really cool!

3 - Goudurix - rides quite horribly, but that layout looks great - just imagine if B and M had built it!

Batman the ride clones win it for me. They are perfect. Compact, g-force, pretty good ride time and awesome flips! It is perfect for all parks that don't have a lot of space.

>all parks

Yeah, all parks that can afford a B&M...

Which is well below a quarter of them.

I love the layout of Nemesis, especially the placement of the final corkscrew. But that may be a bit bias from me as it's so nearby. Other than that I like the layout of Wood Coaster at Knight Valley. The El Loco's have a pretty odd but cool layout. and Dauling Dragons layout I enjoyed to0, the interactivity between both sides was really nicely done. Half time perfectly inline and then the other half you go separate ways and then join up once more.

The Shooting Star at Coney Island had the best visual and thrilling layout. I've read that it had several hills pulling serious amounts of airtime, with a first drop that overlooked the Ohio River.

If only they could recreate it.

There is a POV of the infamous coaster near the end of this video.

I would say the Scream Machine at SFOG, but not solely because of the layout of the track. What I really like is how the layout of the track comes together constructively with the lake and the huge, open lawn towards the back and along the river (you pass this area during the middle of the ride).

Schwarzkopf coasters have amazing-looking layouts. I personally love the concept of cramming as much track in as small of a place as possible.