TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Patents Thread-What's being researched today.

As Disney Shanghai R&D walks their way through the new park, this is their take on Astro Orbiter.

The kick- It's gravity and centrifuge based..The faster the ride spins the higher you go. It allows for more articulation and a sense of "fear" on a spinner.

The ride vehicles move higher purely on the speed of the ride.

Image2.thumb.jpg.b6542638bd5555172abf6c0923b74936.jpg

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^Meh. At it's heart, it's simply a large swing ride, (or a short Windseeker) and I suspect that the "tracks" would likely fail from the bending moments created when the cars are pushed outwards from ride's spinning.

So Disney is on a tear filing patent applications for new versions of their "tried and true" attractions as well as completely new ones. For perspective, we've seen more patent filings for rides between April 2012 to April 2013 than we've seen in the past 6 years COMBINED.

Previously, I've posted a new version of splash, pirates, dumbo, astro orbiter, the carousel, and monsters inc. So today, I've got teacups.

While not an e-ticket attraction, they certainly have an interesting idea. I'll let Ed Nemeth, head of Disney Shanghai R&D explain it..

1016453545_ScreenShot2013-04-15at4_57_39PM.thumb.png.ccd2cb79becb0c32e3fdd47912100697.png

1041552410_ScreenShot2013-04-15at5_07_15PM.png.6d3de8fd53dd296c5e8e2e8f098854d5.png

pix or it didn't happen.

So, this kind of sounds like this to me:

If you take the Zamperla Demolition Derby ride and scale it up. Instead of a single vehicle, its small turn tables that are making the figure 8 motion. And on each turn table, is 2-3 individual vehicles.

So, in the pic above, the small circles, holding a set of 3 'Cups' is what is moving around the platform and whipping about. And your'e able to spin the 'cups' yourself. So that's 3 motions all together, where the 2 rides they seem to have combined, only have 2.

......Yeah? lol

Edited by COASTER FREAK 11

• 1 month later...

^^ And although it's just a drawing, it also looks like it wouldn't be

"just tea cups" zipping around. A whole kitchenful of stuff, lol!

And a thought (or three) - a possible "Beauty & The Beast" attraction?

Think "Be Our Guest". Even the song as background music would work in this attraction!

And IF the attraction was housed in a show building - it could be in the Ballroom.

(Partial columns in the drawing suggest this, to me.)

With the chandelier hanging up above, everybody twirling around below...

And an AA of Lumiere, in the middle, directing it all.

Just a few thoughts on it.

Very cool (if it ever gets built) like this.

Edited by Nrthwnd

I sometimes think Orlando parks could have a little more variety on flats - specially the ones which spin on or near the ground. Most rides are either similar to Dumbo or The Mad Tea Party.

Why not buying something from Mondial (Shaker), Huss (Break-Dance, Frisbee, Take-Off), Gerstlauer (Monster/Polyp, Skyroller) or Zierer (WaveSwinger)....?

• 3 months later...

Ok I really need to start penning down my ideas. Was walking around with this idea for quite some time about half a year ago. My mental picture was virtually the same as the patent concept. Damn you Disney.

• 2 weeks later...

^ Wow.

Imagine the amusement park applications for this little gem.

I imagined a dark-ride with dynamic projection mapping (that mean the POV moves, like in that video), a sort of a mix between Spiderman and a mapping on real scenery. That would allow to do some cool tricks, such as making really realistic ghosts.

That would works, but the problem of mapping is that it allows only one point of view at a time. That means you can only have one person per vehicle..! We can get up to two people per wagon if we use active 3D glasses, but I rather don't.

• 1 month later...

Fresh off the Disney patent research list, we have a Tea Cup ride where the cars goes vertical. Just to recap, Disney has been spending a huge amount of time researching Fantasy Land rides.. We have a patent for an extreme dumbo that never stops spinning, a choose your own direction, interactive carousel, and now we have a tea cups style ride that goes to the sky .

Via the patent .. The idea is this: You have your traditional spinning tea cup ride.. The harder you spin the higher the platform below you goes.. Kind of interesting...

801017465_ScreenShot2013-11-02at1_34_03PM.thumb.png.82832678019859ea6de36123d893f5fe.png

Over view of the traditional tea cups ride.

1758107143_ScreenShot2013-11-02at1_34_44PM.thumb.png.deb82a78f0b75700a537a95ab792d6fb.png

What happens when you spin like a crazy person... - Copyright Disney.

^ Judging by this patent design, and the one found on page 8 of this thread,

It still looks like to me that this could be a design for a possible ride based

on "Beauty And The Beast". All the kitchenware spinning and elevating, around

each other and an AA of Lumiere in the middle of it all. And teacups too, lol!

Just an idea here.

EDIT to add: and the whole thing could be called "Be Our Guest,"

using the song as part of the soundtrack of the ride.

Edited by Nrthwnd

Imagine the amusement park applications for this little gem. It's robocoaster meets motion simulator, meets projection maping.

http://www.botndolly.com/box

Wow that looks awesome. Definitely lots of potential in that.

^ Judging by this patent design, and the one found on page 8 of this thread,

It still looks like to me that this could be a design for a possible ride based

on "Beauty And The Beast". All the kitchenware spinning and elevating, around

each other and an AA of Lumiere in the middle of it all. And teacups too, lol!

Just an idea here.

EDIT to add: and the whole thing could be called "Be Our Guest,"

using the song as part of the soundtrack of the ride.

Best idea ever! I want this ride to be built now. So cool.

Imagine the amusement park applications for this little gem. It's robocoaster meets motion simulator, meets projection maping. http://www.botndolly.com/box

I have seen this video more than once now, and it never gets old.

Really astounding how it all works together, so seamlessly.

Dare I say - Magical!

Thanks for posting this, Guy.

• 2 weeks later...
So here is a new patent application from Disney.. It's your traditional raft ride, but you can rotate the boats by hand (tea cups style)... Cool idea. Pretty sure if this comes to fruition I'll never get soaked again.

Love it! I have had this idea for years. I'm excited that something like it may come to fruition. I think it could add another level of fun to rapids rides, trying to muscle your boat around so your friends get we instead of you!

• 8 months later...