TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Patents Thread-What's being researched today.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I also stumbled across B&M's Patent for their splashdown brakes (like the ones on Griffon or ShieKra)

Link

Actuall the patent excludes the kind of "brakes" that are on those 2 coasters.

"...on condition that the expression 'hydrodynamic brake comprising a fin' exclude a hydrodynamic brake comprising a nozzle arranged on the vehicle in order that a fluid intake and a fluid ejection are oriented in different directions"

What it's talking about are the ones seen on Diamondback. It's like driving a wedge in the water and its angled so that the water shoots up versus a nozzle directing it. (At least that's what I think are on there, no clear picture of it so hard to tell.)

CRW_0924-sm.thumb.jpg.6b2a14c872f529449d5ae2ed6bc963f2.jpg

Diamondback's spashdown is more closer to a rooster tail.

This is more of a canon.

The zip file below is a new patent application that Disney recent filed for an improved Pepper's Ghost effect (haunted mansion, plus many other rides).. This gets into the extremely technical realm of how Disney creates their effects. I've got nothing to offer regarding this patent, but I'm posting it here for any engineers that might want to take a shot in figuring this out.

pat20120313839.pdf.zip

So here is a really interesting patent application hot off the presses (an hour ago) from Shanghai Disney imagineering. The patent includes a multi speed carousel with interactive elements (possibly a game), where the carousel horses travel at independent speeds from the ride and can even travel backwards..

It looks like in certain implementations you could control speed of your horse and in others there would be a ring based game.

I haven't had a chance to read the patent in much detail yet, but to me it looks like a Carousel for the "interactive generation"... Here's a link to the pdf http://www.pat2pdf.org/patents/pat20130040744.pdf

-chris-will update as I spend more time reading it" con

113773542_ScreenShot2013-02-14at1_56_05PM.thumb.png.7d1ce394dfa443262d24fa04cf9cf41e.png

Even without the interactive element, something like this would be tons of fun, and I'm kinda surprised something like this hasn't been thought up or made yet. I would love to see a carousel where one part moves at your average carousel pace, but then another part runs at derby racer speeds.

Not a recent one, but was filed before Intamin started making roller coasters in 1976.

http://www.google.com/patents/US4033602?pg=PA1&dq=intamin&hl=en&sa=X&ei=uSEgUbj5C4PAyAGNuIGgDw&ved=0CEoQ6AEwBg#v=onepage&q=intamin&f=false

It's a patent for a very interesting ski brake. Glad Intamin didn't go in that direction!

And looks like Mack has a patent on their track design, given to them in 2011.

http://www.google.com/patents/EP2156870B1?cl=en&dq=roller+coaster&hl=en&sa=X&ei=HyMgUZDTHuSTyQGSxYGIDw&ved=0CEgQ6AEwBw

imgf0002.thumb.png.eaa4417056349f281f265cd119052c0f.png

imgf0004.thumb.png.98d19d945b315f250838dd1623c1f6e7.png

And then Universal's dueling system that is in disuse on Dragon Challenge and includes the layout, given to them in 2001.

http://www.google.com/patents/US6170402?dq=roller+coaster&hl=en&sa=X&ei=RSQgUeq_IuPhyQG26YCADw&ved=0CDwQ6AEwAzgU

• 3 weeks later...

Wow .. This is really cool.. The two R&D executives leading the push for innovative rides at Shanghai Disneyland just had another patent application become public today... It's called Omnitable, but lets just call it Omni Dumbo...

Riders board on the first level from an elevated stairway onto a circular platform that is moving at a slightly lower speed than the cars (think spaceship earth's station). The vehicle you board is inside the inner circumference of the circle. You then view two or three dark ride scenes while your vehicle moves up to the second level..

Once on the second level, the vehicle pivots on a bar to the outside circumference of the circle. You are now traveling twice as fast due to the larger radius; you are outside, and you can control height/pitch, while also cycling through level 1 to level 2 a predertermined amount of times.

Once your ride is over the vehicle pivots back into the inside circle and the next rider boards.

A spinner ride with dark ride elements that never stops. Genius. I wish I thought of it.

1.jpg.2986300637ea4bdf1ed64fe120cd951e.jpg

Level 1

2.jpg.6e0929c029a10ddf50633671a8c1fe5b.jpg

how the ride loads and unloads.

Image2.jpg.bc5c68617860228caf280f415fdf260e.jpg

Edited by Chroniq

Hey searched a german board and found this by accident - remeber the Maurer Söhne rep. talking to Robb on Video and talking about a "secret" project coming up next year ? Maybe this project is somhow connected to this version of the x-car?

source: both coasterfriends.de thanks to Mario M.

Spinning, inverted and a Loop de loop?

Awesome and Horrible at the same time!

I also found a drawing of a extended x car with 4 seats per row on the european patent service.. but i think this was published before on this board

• 2 weeks later...

^Then again after seeing some of the things that Rocky Mountain Construction is doing with wood these days I don't know if anything is off limits. The problem I see with an inverted woodie is that the cost of the structure has to be more expensive than it would be for a traditional sit down, so why not just build a sit down? Also, I don't think it does that much to improve the overall ride experience, I mean visibility on inverted coasters is poor enough is as, if you throw an incredibly dense wooden structure into the mix it will be even worse. I maybe could see it working as a dark ride hybrid kind of coaster but as a full sized attraction I just don't know what a park would get out of it.

^^^^ I find it interesting that both recent patents you posted,

happen to be for (could be for) the two attractions supposedly

in front of the new castle being built at SD. Dumbo and Carousel.

Things that make you go hmmm....

^ You think?

Actually ALL things that are Disney Theme Parks LOL!

Always loved learning how things were put together,

and then enjoy the total experience of a Disney

attraction. Very "backstage theatre" to me.

The Omni Dumbo is amazing. That really is genius. Could do some very cool small-footprint dark rides with those mechanicals.

Does anyone really want an inverted wooden coaster? I'm waiting for the patent/announcement of an LSM-launched Rocky Mountain ride.

• 2 weeks later...

So here's a patent from a couple weeks back. Full Disclaimer: It's not exactly theme park related but the patent was filed by the Vice President of Disney's Magical Express and while it's something that will likely never see the light of day, it makes incredible sense to me....

Background - This patent attempts to simplify the the airport check in security experience.

Current check in-- Stupid bins, confusion, 2 lines (one for baggage drop and one for carry-on)

Solution- a rolling cart with touch screen. The screen scans your boarding pass and uses gps to direct you to the correct security line and gate... Your carry on or loose items go in the top two bins, while your check in or actual carry on luggage goes in the bottom.. At a particular divestment point in one security line you hand off your check in luggage since the cart is gps aware your luggage tags are already printed for you. From that point in the security line your carry on luggage and personal items (shoes, watches, laptops) stay on this rolling cart that goes through it's own full size scanner... No messing around with stupid bins. Once through security, all your items remain in one conveinent shopping cart.

1771424810_ScreenShot2013-04-02at6_35_56PM.thumb.png.59a5b6637d2f744194ff148feb17815d.png

A picture is worth a thousand words.

^^^^ I find it interesting that both recent patents you posted,

happen to be for (could be for) the two attractions supposedly

in front of the new castle being built at SD. Dumbo and Carousel.

Things that make you go hmmm....

Was thinking the exact same thing.. They are also the only two rides that Disney has confirmed for Shanghai, but hasn't issued concept art for yet (except for a very generic model recently in the end of year report)