TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Superman Character?

Since Six Flags has the license for DC Comics, does anybody know why the Six Flags parks don't have a Superman walk around character? They heavily work him into the rides, but you never see him walking around with Batman, Green Lantern, and the other Justice League members. Just curious...

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Not exactly sure why they don't feature him, but the copyright for the Superman character, his suits, and his origin story are actually owned (as of 2008) by the family of creator Jerry Siegel. This may have something to do with it. Other elements, like Lex Luthor, are owned entirely by DC/Warner.

The parks have to get approval for all "actors" portraying the characters from WB (who own DC). From what I've heard, Superman has a ton of rules about who can portray him and all that, over twice as much any other character. DC is pretty protective of the big guy. Six Flags doesn't bother with the extra headache.

Not sure how accurate all this is, but it's what I've heard in the past.

You know, I don't see too many characters walking around SFOG these days. I do see Bugs Bunny and a few of those guys, but they are few and far between. From the park's prospective, it is kind of expensive to have one of those guys standing out there. There has to be the person in the costume, the person who stands there and makes sure no hooligans try to harass the person in the costume (I refer to them as the "keeper"), and then the costume probably has to be maintained from some wear and tear. The other thing is, is that someone who visits the park is not going to remember their visit with Superman, they're going to remember their first harrowing experience-a roller coaster (well, at least for the little kids).

^That's pretty much it. Plus, Superman is one of the few superheroes without a mask, so that makes finding the right person even harder. That's also why you rarely see Wonder Woman walking around.

They could just hire this guy.