TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Official Mitch Hawker 2012 Steel Coaster Poll Thread!

How come Nitro is still so far up on the list?

Hasn't it lost it's edge since it first opened up?

Also, I'm kind of sad to see the SWSD Manta down so far on the list (107) and Magnum down farther than last time (58 to 80 over two years).

Yeah I was sad to see little Manta so far down. I ended up putting in on my #9 spot out of about 105 coasters haha . Happy with the results overall though! There's definitely a lot of awesome rides in the top 10 that I need to ride someday.

• Replies 349
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

In fact Monster at Walyator Park, which is a clone of Raptor, ranks 20 spots higher which is interesting.

Just a side-note on this. But Walygator is too cheap to use a midcourse or three trains. Where Raptor's midcourse is, Monster just has straight track with no brakes. It's possible that the Walygator version ranks higher because it potentially runs faster in the second half.

I have not been on Monster, so that is just me speculating/guessing.

In fact Monster at Walyator Park, which is a clone of Raptor, ranks 20 spots higher which is interesting.

Just a side-note on this. But Walygator is too cheap to use a midcourse or three trains. Where Raptor's midcourse is, Monster just has straight track with no brakes. It's possible that the Walygator version ranks higher because it potentially runs faster in the second half.

I have not been on Monster, so that is just me speculating/guessing.

Those who did the 2012 Europe trip mostly said that the 2nd half was really good due to the lack of the MCBR.

Yeah Skyrush!

Wow MForce all the way out of the top 10 now.

Shame, I know its the enthusiast thing to hate on it but IDK if 14 is worthy, but the populace has spoken.

Guess everything is as expected though Shambhala was a shock. I thought it'd be high, looks awesome, but not that high!

Also I was surprised that everyone who's ridden had Leviathan in their top 10...but this seems to reflect it better.

Are the mega lites really that great? Sure they are fun, but would any of you really say that they are deserving of such high spots? Maybe they are crazy forceful and it doesn't show on POV

Mega Lites are excellent rides--lots of crazy airtime.

Just noticed that Verbolten came in at 104--not too shabby for a family coaster.

Edited by cfc

Well I'm happy that Superman Escape managed to get enough votes to appear on the poll this year at #21, probably due to TPR's 2011 trip to Australia

Australia represent! Let's just ignore the fact that our next best is Scooby Doo at #150...

Interesting that "Favourite El Loco" has come in at #182 - Green Lantern at Movie World is fairly high on my own list. Perhaps the 4-across seating improves the ride experience compared to other El Locos and it just hasn't been ridden by enough people yet. Ditto for "Favourite Motocoaster" (#262), although I may have just been on the better ones.

The fact that there are still some really fun rides sitting two-thirds of the way down the list suggests that coaster enthusiasts have plenty to be happy about!

Superman Escape is a great ride--the "dark ride" section is a definite plus, and the coaster portion is brief, but lots of fun.

Edited by cfc

To all of you who have ridden more than one mega-lite, is there really any difference between them?

Except for the "more rattle" one one, or one running amazing due to the weather that day.

I know it's a hard question to get the real answer for, due to every day being different, but for you who have ridden several of them, please share you're experience.

And it's nice to have Geforce back on the top!

Edited by _koppen

I share that question ^

And yeah I figured the mega lites are forceful/packed with airtime.

It's not size and speed per se, but how they relate to each other.

I have faith in Mitch and my fellow enthusiasts...just have to accept I'm in a small minority that finds MForce epic

I305 would totally own if it wasnt for the last part, which isn't that bad but still. Wish they'd un-trim the hill and smooth out the remainder.

As someone who has actually ridden Shambhala, I think it's fully deserving of its high ranking. I preferred it to Nemesis but would put it behind Expedition GeForce, so these results reflect my opinion quite nicely.

I think it's worth saying that I didn't expect Shambhala to be that great at all. Having ridden Silverstar and finding it forceless and boring I was expecting more of the same, but Shambhala pleasantly surprised me. It's not an intense coaster as such but the first drop lasts forever and the amount of sustained floater airtime it offers is incredible. And for people that say that B&M don't do ejector airtime, the speed hill has it in spades.

Shambhala is like a refined cocktail of airtime. An Intamin coaster such as EGF is more like a hard spirit. If you don't go for cocktails, that's fine but that doesn't mean the people that do are wrong to do so. In any case, I'd recommend riding it before passing judgement, it definitely surprised me.

Happy to see my top two coasters on there (Maverick, I305). Verbolten appearing at 104 seems like a nice spot for it, but I think it could move up a bit in future years.

Millennium Force isn't really all that great past the first drop. Its fun, but not spectacular. I'm curious about the Backlot Stunt Coaster's positions in the poll. They're all exactly the same coaster, yet they're ranked 7+ slots apart. Any ideas?

To all of you who have ridden more than one mega-lite, is there really any difference between them?

Except for the "more rattle" one one, or one running amazing due to the weather that day.

I know it's a hard question to get the real answer for, due to every day being different, but for you who have ridden several of them, please share you're experience.

And it's nice to have Geforce back on the top!

I found the three Mega Lites I've ridden (Piraten and the two in China) to be about the same; so, I grouped them together on my ballot.

I'm rather surprised at how high Oz'Iris was ranked (34) after hearing about how it was forceless and rattly.

Also, I'm rather confused at why Possesed ended up ~30 spots lower than V2 at SGAm and Steel Venom.

I'm surprised at how low CGA's Flight Deck ranked (83) considering it is one of the intense old-school B&M inverts. Makes me wonder how OzIris (heard that ride was really disappointing) ranked at 34. While Flight Deck is a short ride, it is VERY forceful (upward helix following the loop sometimes grays me out) and whips you through every element, and still has a good amount of power when it hits the brakes. When I watch a POV of OzIris, I don't see that kind of ride: it runs out of steam in the second half, it doesn't look like it has grayout-worthy forces, and it doesn't whip you through the flat spin or zero-g roll the way Flight Deck (and I'm sure other old-school B&M inverts) does.

That said, I think Flight Deck deserves a MUCH higher ranking than what it has currently, and am very curious as to why it ranked 83 and OzIris ranked 34.

Edited by Blue Fire Guy

^

Had Flight Deck been a bit longer, length-wise/ride time, I'm sure it would have ranked higher even with all the others out there. Flight Deck is definitely a pretty intense ride and pretty smooth considering its age in relation to another certain B&M that lives in the same park (Ok, so it isn't really using true B&M rolling stock...)

Glad to see some of my local coasters not quite at the bottom of the barrel, at least within the first 100-range. One of these days I need to take one of these top 15 coasters or so a spin, as much as it may spoil it for me when it comes to re-riding my local rides

Edited by Angry_Gumball

Not surprised about NTG, I305, Maverick and a mega lite or two in there. Phenomenal rides. A bit surprised about Shambhala. The only new B&M mega that I haven't ridden is Intimidator but so far, I think Shambhala is the best of the new B&M mega/gigas, etc built to date. If at least one had to pop up, I guess that would be the one.

One day, hopefully riding Expedition GeForce will happen

Difference between Silver Star and Shambhala being SS is trimmed to death on pretty much every hill...while Shambhala can actually move!

Again, I think it looks awesome and probably better than Leviathan (though ridden neither so can't really judge)

Huzzah for force! Glad people still do like intense, forceful rides...seems the more vocal people on forums always complain about rides being too intense...

Firstly, it's good to see EGF back on top. As good as Bizarro is, EGF's drop, pacing, and setting are world-class and edge it over the top for me.

I was concerned that not having TxGiant on the ballot early on (and not in the drag/drop version at all) would cause it to place poorly. I was wrong.

I'm not familiar with all the coasters, but it appears that Mindbender (Alberta) is the top-ranked Schwarzkopf at #23. That's a great design, but the restraints kill it for me. Riding backward is brutal.

S:KC way down at #54? Seriously? That should get a substantial boost in next year's poll when hoards of folks get down there for iRat and rediscover what a great coaster S:KC really is.

Riddler's Revenge at #108... it would've been lower if I'd filled out the poll after my trip to SFMM a few weeks ago. Don't remember it being that uncomfortable before, nor do I remember the headache and sore ears, either. Ugh. I don't remember what I ranked it, but it was too high.

Interesting how the 20-second long Iron Shark placed higher than other, longer, more themed Eurofighters. Lesson learned: LAP BARS, not OTSRs!

Poltergeist at #154, wow. It was SCREAMING last Saturday, even in the cold weather. Very intense.

Heide Park's Schweizer Bobbahn and Parc Asterix's Trace du Hourra down below 200? Where's the bobsled love? Both those rides are awesome!

Gold Reef City's Anaconda would've placed #9 if it had been included. TPR needs to do a South Africa coaster safari to get more riders to that worlds-only Giovanola inverted coaster. Long train, smooth as glass, wicked layout. It's in my top 5.

I don't get all the hate on Silver Star. Sure it's my least favorite B&M hyper of the three I've ridden, and it's not the most forceful coaster in the world, but this whole spiel about it being "trimmed to death" and "there's zero airtime and zero force" is a complete exaggeration.

Well my favorite coaster ended up at #283.... Guess I'm one of the only people who ever had a good experiences on it, let alone experiences that were so great they beat out others at the same park like S:UF, Raging Bull, Batman, V2 as well as those from outside SFGAm, going as far as to say Bizarro at SFNE! Oh well.....

The results make for very interesting reading - kudos to Mitch for organising this and collating the votes, and to everyone who participated.

I find it intriguing that the highest 'grouped' coaster (favorite Schwarzkopf Shuttle Loop) is at #158. Suggests that perhaps unique coasters rank more highly simply because they're unique?