TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Is it possible to stay too long at an amusement park?

It all comes down to the overall "niceness" of the park. I can never have enough time at parks like Europa Park, Knoebels, Epcot, Liseberg, Silver Dollar City, Tivoli Gardens, etc. because they are just nice places to be. Rides are only one part of a much bigger picture. And this is why I'll continue to schedule Six Flags and Cedar Fair parks as credit runs. They're just not nice places to hang out, especially during sweltering summer days. Edible food, indoor attractions, paying attention to aesthetics, good operations, decent employees can all go a long way in making me want to stay longer than the minimum time required to lap the coasters.

Fixed !

Until I was about fiveteen I always wanted to live in the states seeing all the huge coaster linups compared to the European parks. But things have changed a bit cause I find what Ginzo described relatively often here in Europe...and in the long run I would say thet the overall experince and atmosphere is MORE important than riding the most/biggest coasters a day...

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I went to SFMM a LOT last year. I think it was close to 30 times. Only 2 or 3 times did I spend more than 3-4 hours in the park (WCB, Fright Fest and maybe LL:DOD media day). Most visits were probably about 90 minutes to 2 hours max.

Even on our coaster trip last year I actually felt it was a couple of days too long. 4-5 days seems to be the max for me anymore before I need a non-park day. If it wasn't for the fact that the last two park days consisted of ECB at two great parks I'd never visited (KD/BGW) I probably would have not been in a great mood.

As me and my coaster crew get older, it gets harder and harder to stay at any park for a long period of time.

We used to go to Halloweekends at CP and go from Friday night through Sunday. Now we'll go Friday night, stay at the campground and then either go somewhere else on Saturday (golfing or Put-In Bay) and then (maybe) go in the park for an hour or two on Saturday night and then go back to the campground - usually because it's so crowded. Then we skip Sunday altogether & head home even though the park is usually dead at that time. This year, we'll probably just go out for Friday night when the crowds aren't insane and leave for home on Saturday.

Kings Island was the same Labor Day weekend. We went for a full day at the water park/theme park on Saturday & had a great time, but by Sunday we were completely bored with it...it felt like a chore just going there and none of us rode very many rides. We all swore that we'd never do that again!

For me it depends on many factors, the park, the operations, crowds & lines, and definitely who you're with. I had a few trips where there was one person in our group that complained to the max, "I'm tired, I don't wanna walk, I don't wanna ride that" to the point where it dragged the whole group and soured the mood. Thank goodness for Enthusiasts like us to hang with!

I hate to say it but after a 2 day, 5 hour each day visit to Dollywood I got bored. We got the LoQ so we had no lines, and after riding everything multiple times we decided to leave early. Now with Adventure Mountain gone I'm sure they will replace it with something better, but AM was a fantastic waste of time! That's the only attraction I wish I had more time to go through. I loooove Dollywood but 10 hours with a LoQ was too much time!

Last season, I was at SFFT almost every single day (minus Saturdays). At the time I was living less than 10 minutes from the park, and it just became part of my routine. After a while, it became less about the rides and more about the overall atmosphere. I would go for a couple of hours, watch my favorite shows (Rockin at Rockville High and Ovation), and make a few laps around the park taking pictures and scoping out lines. I'd ride a few of the coasters if they were walk-ons and then head out. For me, I use it mainly as a way to get out of the house and moving around. Walking around on asphalt in the Texas summer is is a great workout, lol. Now that I'm living an hour from SFFT, I have a feeling that this season is going to be a lot less fun.

It's all about two factors: how crowded the park was and how many rides you rode during the first day. On a day when a small park that only has a few rides and little wating time a few hours is enough, but on a busy day in a big amusement park in which you waited so long to get on each ride I would say that a second day is neccesary.

There are some advantages of planning multiple days to attend an amusement park - you can slow yourself down and take it easy during your park tour, a ride that was not running one day may be up and operational on the next day, and if there is a show that you want to see again or a popular ride with a long queing line. Another reason may be that you traveled long distances to get to this park and it may be many years before you visit that park again. But just in case one day was too much for your visit to a park, it's always better to have some backup plans.

In conclusion, if you leave the park all tired and worn out, then you had a great day!!!

"I'll say - if you are tired and worn out, then I'm there to help you get refreshed for the very next day. Oh, by the way, I'M BACK FROM VACATION!!!"

I spent 3 days back to back to back one spring break my freshman year, and I neve got tired. It was incredibly crowded and the lines were upwards to 2 hours, and given Rattlers world breaking capacity record of 20 people per hour, that line was 3. It was horrible. I still had fun, but I never got to ride. The last day I got the flash pass and had to quit riding rides not by choice, but because I got a horrible headache and was only able to ride scream as it just goes up and down. I never got bored, but I didn't ride as much the first two days either.

Echoing what everyone has said. I go to Disneyland about once a week, usually with people but on occasion I go to the parks alone if I don't have anything better planned. If I am going with people I can stay at the park for most of the day easily, but if I am going alone for a mid week ride fix then I will just go for a couple of hours. A park like SFMM I can pretty much only bear at events like WCB or with a group of really fun people... otherwise it's a fairly boring day.

• 1 year later...

My wife and I can usually only do 2-3 parks a summer without getting tired of them. If we do any more than that we are usually miserable. My wife and I especially get tired of the crowds.

We have a system we stick to now. I get all of my credits early. We leave the park early afternoon and hang out in the town for a while. Then we go to dinner, drink beers, and go back to the park. We hang out, drink a few more beers, and ride only the rides we want and hang out for the rest of the night. The morning is for obligation and the night is just for relaxing and fun.

There is no such thing as "too long" at an amusement park if you're still having fun and you still have that amusement park "buzz".

When I'm on vacation somewhere and I'm on a lifthill or something, I always think to myself "enjoy this now, because in a few weeks you will be back at work wishing like hell that you were right back here on this ride".

Way more often than not, I leave vacation parks (ie, parks I don't frequent) wishing I had more time to spend there...

When I'm on vacation somewhere and I'm on a lifthill or something, I always think to myself "enjoy this now, because in a few weeks you will be back at work wishing like hell that you were right back here on this ride".

Me too. Still, every time I get back from a trip I think I should have dedicated every single second I had at a park to ride each coaster the most times possible because, even though I get plenty of rides (if I can) when I'm in a park know I could be getting more if I wanted too. It's almost as if you don't really feel the need to ride every coaster over and over again while you're there, but as soon as you leave the park you always think you could have done more.

Does anyone else feel the same?

I feel like 10 days at Disney World would be overkill. Maybe its just me, but I really only need a day at each park. I'd rather spend those extra 6 days traveling around to the other parks in florida, and spend a day at each.

I feel like I would want to do so much of the other things that you can do at Disney World (and only at Disney world) That I would want at least a few extra days. I also like water parks, I would probably spend a day each at just the water parks at Disney World. I think a week is reasonable. 10 days is pushing it, but I could see how you'd want to do that.

I feel like 10 days at Disney World would be overkill. Maybe its just me, but I really only need a day at each park. I'd rather spend those extra 6 days traveling around to the other parks in florida, and spend a day at each.

I feel like I would want to do so much of the other things that you can do at Disney World (and only at Disney world) That I would want at least a few extra days. I also like water parks, I would probably spend a day each at just the water parks at Disney World. I think a week is reasonable. 10 days is pushing it, but I could see how you'd want to do that.

I could easily spend 10 days at Disney World. I LOVE it there. I stayed for 7 once and still did not do everything.

I could easily spend 10 days at Disney World. I LOVE it there. I stayed for 7 once and still did not do everything.

us too.

we stayed 7, and did not get to visit EITHER WaterPark, and we still could have spent more time at both EPCOT and Animal Kingdom.

I wouldn't have minded more than 1 night in Downtown Disney either (even tho Pleasure Island held no draw for us). But we DID see "La Nouba"

I would do 10 days easy. . heck, you can spend just 5 at EPCOT if you do everything in each pavilion, and each shop/attraction/film in world showcase.

To be honest I don't see myself staying more than 10. 10 is probably the upper limit. I'd spend at least 1 day each at each of the parks (so that's 6 days.) Probably want a second day at a park that we didn't get to "do everything" (maybe Epcot because there is so much stuff to see there.) and then 2 other days to plan out other things at Disney world maybe go to the Lake, enjoy the hotel resorts/downtown disney stuff like that.

I don't know if I would want to do more than a day at Animal Kingdom (at least currently) or Magic Kingdom (since I've been to Disneyland a few times.)