TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Why Does Everybody Hate on Six Flags?

Go to Six Flags Magic Mountain.

One train operations.

7 min dispatches on popular coasters.

Rotting and abandon buildings or rides scattered all over the park in plain sight of the guests.

HORRIBLE food.

Dirty and run down.

Obnoxious and rude employees.

Lack of anything else other than roller coasters.

And all these flaws are magnified when you have Disneyland Resort, Universal Studios Hollywood, Lego Land, and SeaWorld all within 2 hours drive of the park.

Apart from the last one I strongly disagree with you. True, I've only been there once, but I have to say that they were running 2-3 trains on EVERY coaster, the staff wasn't really rude (I've experienced some way worse, although I don't know why wasn't I allowed to sit on X2's queue fence). I can't really judge their food, since I didn't really eat anything there (I don't really practice going to theme parks to try their restaurants).

But on the other hand, I might've been there on one of the park's better days

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Honestly, $50 for a season pass to all the parks in the chain in the US, Mexico, and Canada, is not a bad deal. Must be purchased at SFOG.

My complaint about SFOG is line jumping. We even called the number posted on the sign at Mindbender, and no one came. Line jumping is so bad at SFOG.

I have been to 3 SF parks, SFOG, SFSTL, and Chicago. I have had great experiences at each. Only have line jumping issues at GA. The parks were clean, and the staff was friendly and helpful.

Bought my 2012 season pass at GA, and their pass processing computers were down. The Chicago park processed my pass for me.

You can not blame the ride manufacturer for creating the rides. The blame goes to the park. Companies like B&M, Vekoma, Intacrap, all build what the customer (park) wants. Like Mondial and their Windy Seekers. There's almost one at every CF park!

You do realize that there are other NON SF parks that have clones?

Look these up on RCDB.com...

Sea World's Great White

Happy Valley's Crystal Wing

Wild Adventures' Boomerang

Wild Adv's Hangman

Don't forget the SheiKra and Raptor clones over seas!

Even though Arrow is not in business anymore, Vekoma is, and they have been known to make trains for Arrow coasters (1 example i know of right off hand is Vampire). So, trains are available for Arrow coasters.

Another thing is that some coasters are only blocked for 1, 2, or 3 trains. Gloliath at GA is only blocked for 2, but Raging Bull at the Chicago park is blocked for 3.

I just wanted to throw this out there...the food, especially the tacos, at Six Flags Mexico was excellent. Their employees were also having a good time as well. Now, I believe that the ops were happy because the park clientelle was happy, and those two go hand in hand. I would personally have trouble working at SFMM and staying happy day after day with the guests it attracts.

I guess my point is that SFM proved to me that somebody in the chain has it in them to do well, but perhaps the motivation to do so has a lot to do with the people attending the park. I'm not very well traveled but the vibe at SFM really made for an excellent day despite their lack of 'amazing' rides.

I just wanted to throw this out there...the food, especially the tacos, at Six Flags Mexico was excellent. Their employees were also having a good time as well. Now, I believe that the ops were happy because the park clientelle was happy, and those two go hand in hand. I would personally have trouble working at SFMM and staying happy day after day with the guests it attracts.

I guess my point is that SFM proved to me that somebody in the chain has it in them to do well, but perhaps the motivation to do so has a lot to do with the people attending the park. I'm not very well traveled but the vibe at SFM really made for an excellent day despite their lack of 'amazing' rides.

You remember how SFMM's employees used to be under the leadership of Jay Thomas? You know, the guy who would spend time IN THE PARK with his staff and motivate them? You don't see that happen now, and you didn't see that happen before Jay got there. It is SO TRUE that your senior management needs to lead by example. And if you have a guy on top that is willing to come out in the park, and work along side the front line staff, you bet your ass you'll have a staff that respects that and is much more proud to work at the park.

When you have a park president that just sits in an office, and walks through the park head down, making a bee-line to wherever it is they need to go, not talking to anyone, why should your park staff be any more social than that person?

More parks need to be led by people like Jay Thomas. Makes total sense why Six Flags got rid of him.

Edited by robbalvey

^^ I totally agree with you, Chris. ~ And Robb too.^

And for myself, I cannot remember ever being to any

of the Six Flags parks in the states! Or maybe had been to a park

before Six Flags bought it and renamed it, etc. Still...

So SFMexico was absolutely great to me! Even when we weren't

being treated to early in-park ERT (Thanks Robb!), the staff seemed

to get it right and keep the crowds moving along, esp.on the coasters.

I got an 'all parks' Six Flags coffee mug. But if and when anybody asks me

"which US Six Flags did you get it at?". I'll just smile and say.... Six Flags... Mexico!

Robb, I do remember the Jay Thomas days and yes, the staff definitely had a bizarre sense of happiness then!! It's definitely gone way downhill throughout the park, except in a cozy little hamlet on top of a hill, where you can still hear a glimmer of days past. HAYAH!!

Holiday World set a fine example of how the heads of the park should be (Pat Koch) by cleaning up trash and serving food to people. Heck just talking to the guests is a great way to know what improvements could be made. If you ever see Pat on the walkways, she is a very friendly person to chat with as are all of the employees. I agree very much with Robb. Your actions as a leader of your employees reflects how they interact with guests. If you are a hermit, you are antisocial, many of your employees will be less transparent about their hatred for their job.

Also, the "Six Flags experience" should be close to the same between each park. Customer service and employee 'friendliness' should not vary starkly. A normal GP guest should expect the same great/terrible things and not have to worry about a rude ride op or games worker. Cedar Fair does a relatively good job at this and is not as inconsistent as Six Flags. I really hope they catch on and go back towards Jay Thomas's outlook on customer and employee satisfaction.

You remember how SFMM's employees used to be under the leadership of Jay Thomas? You know, the guy who would spend time IN THE PARK with his staff and motivate them? You don't see that happen now, and you didn't see that happen before Jay got there. It is SO TRUE that your senior management needs to lead by example. And if you have a guy on top that is willing to come out in the park, and work along side the front line staff, you bet your A$$ you'll have a staff that respects that and is much more proud to work at the park.

When you have a park president that just sits in an office, and walks through the park head down, making a bee-line to wherever it is they need to go, not talking to anyone, why should your park staff be any more social than that person?

More parks need to be led by people like Jay Thomas. Makes total sense why Six Flags got rid of him.

Man I was incredibly fortunate to have a really informal lunch with Jay at SFKK a few years ago, and I was totally blown away. The man is seriously the real deal, and more parks would be blessed to have a guy like him as their GM. Is he no longer with SF?

From what I've seen, I agree that Jay Thomas's presence made a big difference at Magic Mountain. He's a very friendly, approachable gent with a good sense of humor--and he really enjoyed his job there.

I don't think there's universal "hatred" of Six Flags here, but we do like to poke fun at the chain's little "oddities," which we do to other park chains, as well. For example, Cedar Fair has its surplus of trash cans and odd ride names (such as Drop Tower Scream Zone) and Six Flags has its advertising and "wrapped" coaster trains. I like quite a few of the Six Flags parks (particularly Texas, Georgia, Great Adventure, and Great America). But not all Six Flags parks are created equal.

Edited by cfc

The employees at Holiday World are nicer because its a family owned theme park. Think about it, Six Flags is a huge corporation that has to hire thousands of people a year. Holiday World is one park so they only have to hire hundreds. Besides, most (not all) of the workers at Six Flags are careless teens who need a summer job once they are out of school. Where are the nicer workers, at the McDonalds that is at every corner, or the family owned diner down the street?

Six Flags is the Costco of the amusement industry. Lots of crap in high doses with no real quality.

I wish Six Flags would serve $1.50 hotdogs

Food prices are my biggest single complaint about Six Flags parks. Heck, food prices at WDW are more reasonable (and the food is a helluva lot better).

I've always been a Jay Thomas fan! To the best of my knowledge, he moved to corporate in Dallas after leaving Magic Mountain. I've not seen or heard from him since. I do hope he's still around for 6 Flags sake.

Six Flags parks are amazing. It does mainly focus on the coasters but no other park just focuses on coasters like they do. Disney has an amazing theme but they only have 4 roller coasters and there kid coasters. Six Flags has giant coasters and the theme is not all that bad. If you want thrill go to Six Flags. If you want theme go to Disney. I have been to SFOG and SFGA and I really enjoyed them both. Stop being such critics and enjoy what each park has to offer.

And thank God for those great coasters, because without them there are maybe 2 of their parks I would visit. To their credit though, there are great coasters within the chain. I think that may be the most frustrating part. The potential is there to have both great coasters and a great experience. But they fail with the latter.

Long story short...they make the "business" aspect of the park industry very in your face.

We all know they are businesses but at least most other parks have a nice "feel" to it, like you're at a fun place. Instead of "I am paying $60+ to ride some rides and they will be enjoyable" And it's good to feel good!

Also while I can't vouch for others...great adventure has scrapped most of their flats (making lines longer and the place less diverse) it has a grungy feel, and it's waaaay over priced. I've heard the same complaints about other SF parks though, as well as poor ride management which Great Adventure actually does decently.

The rides themselves are good of course.

As a theme park lover, SF just doesn't work for me. But for the average person, six flags does a great job. The GP don't visit many parks to know different operating styles and atmosphere, so they think that SF is basically top of the line. For example, all my friends think that SFGam is an amazing park and is as good as coasters get because they haven't had the different exposure. However, I don't want to be too negative because without SF I couldn't get my coaster fill in!