TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Windseeker Status

Ok I (and I know I am in the minority here) enjoy the Windseeker at CP. I consider them a relaxing thrill, like an S&S screamin' swing. I was disappointed to find out that all of them had to be grounded after the incident at Knotts happened. So does anybody know if any of the Windseekers will return in 2013? Do you think they will be ready for opening day or open later on in the season?

Edited by Koasterking48

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cedar Fair have six of the things and each cost at least $5m, so I imagine they're keen to have them operating again as soon as possible. However until the issue is completely fixed I doubt they will risk opening them up. From a corporate perspective a SBNO ride would be far preferable to the bad press the company will get if more breakdowns occur.

I was at the park yesterday and the ride was just as inert as it was on my previous visit in November. Nothing appears to have changed and no work being done. Perhaps it will be reopening soon, but I also wouldn't be surprised if they just removed it from the site list because they have no idea when it will reopen.

If it's no closer to reopening then they should have just removed the Feb 1 date they had listed and put up some kind of "Windseeker is temporarily closed" message on the ride's page.. I know we all love to hate on SFMM, but at least they have been pretty good to update their website when rides are down for extended periods of time.

im sorry but this 'no work has been done' thing is pure fiction. the brakes for the Windseekers are inside the tower, and most of that work is going on at night without uplights on since the work is happening inside the tower. Thats like saying 'no work has been done on tower of terror' because you dont see it. Most parks have their maintenance crews loaded at night, and so most work is going to happen on their normal shifts. And if an electrical contractor is involved, the theme park ones all specialize in third shift as to not disrupt park operations.

Was longer than 2 hours, it was more like 4. Something about the safety system triggering an e-stop at the top and it took them that long to get it back going and bring the gondola down. It made national news as this was the 2nd time it happened at Knott's. Also the gondola is being lowered from the top, it takes something like it take a 1/2 an hour to get it down. so I believe that was one issue they were going to fix as well. I've heard the Cedar Point WindSeeker was doing some tests not that long ago, but I'm assuming the Knott's one will be the 1st to be back up and running. Since Cedar Fair spent $30mil on all of them, I'm assuming that they'll get them up and running vs taking them out.

^Like the lawsuit between Knott's and Togo? For the life of me I can't remember the outcome of that.

Back on topic, I've never been on any of the Windseekers, (I was doing an internship with Disney in Orlando when they opened.) but I've gotta imagine that they aren't nearly as terrifying and thrilling as the Star Flyers are so I don't know if I'm really missing something or not.

The view has to be great and I do love the lighting packages however.

^Like the lawsuit between Knott's and Togo? For the life of me I can't remember the outcome of that.

Back on topic, I've never been on any of the Windseekers, (I was doing an internship with Disney in Orlando when they opened.) but I've gotta imagine that they aren't nearly as terrifying and thrilling as the Star Flyers are so I don't know if I'm really missing something or not.

The view has to be great and I do love the lighting packages however.

A jury rejected Knotts lawsuit against Togo back in 2003.

^Windseekers are very tame. More for observation rather than a ride. I'd take 100ft Star Flyer over a Windseeker any day.

I was anticipating the 400 ft star flyer that was originally in the plans till they suddenly switched to Monodial. Disappointed that it got dropped down to 300 instead :/ Like I said, it's a low thrill ride and isn't anything else. That being said, I never go on Windseeker if it's not a walk-on.

Sounds like CF needs to get a nice refund check form the manufacturer. Windseeker has been a pretty crappy operational ride since they opened the first one.

Please correct me if I am wrong here.

I know it had some issues when it first opened, but to be fair, they were all sort of "prototypes." I've been to all the parks that have them now, I believe. And on each of my visits, the ride was up the entire day, and that includes 6 days at Cedar Point and at least three at Knott's.

So I know that there were issues at the beginning, but can't really speak to the day-to-day operations, other than my personal visits and observations.

Sounds like CF needs to get a nice refund check form the manufacturer. Windseeker has been a pretty crappy operational ride since they opened the first one.

Please correct me if I am wrong here.

It's pretty pathetic that all of them (except Kings Island) have had major problems. It wasn't exactly a bright corporate move to build 4 prototypes of a ride never used before, all of them delayed, and then proceed to build two more. I'm just saying Funtime was the better choice then Monodial (which I had never heard of before they announced Windseeker). Sometimes prototypes can be a flop :/

Edited by Koasterking48

Isn't Mondial the company who is responsible for the insane drop tower that shows up at the San Diego County Fair? I think they also did the tower at Silverwood as well.

It's interesting that what seems like a simple ride concept has had so many issues. I wonder if it has anything to do with weight, because the ring of seats on these rides aren't exactly tiny. I hope I get to ride one before Cedar Fair opts to remove them all.

Isn't Mondial the company who is responsible for the insane drop tower that shows up at the San Diego County Fair? I think they also did the tower at Silverwood as well.

It's interesting that what seems like a simple ride concept has had so many issues. I wonder if it has anything to do with weight, because the ring of seats on these rides aren't exactly tiny. I hope I get to ride one before Cedar Fair opts to remove them all.

If you do get the chance, head to CP. Best location since it's right next to the water.