TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Official WEST COAST BASH 2013 Thread!

Note to self: Don't show 805Andrew's post to my daughter before she (hopefully) heads off to Cal Poly SLO next year. (granted she won't be 21 but still)

I love seeing all the SLO posts! If you or your daughter have any questions about Cal Poly, I'm a current student (Engineering) and can answer them! (Just PM me)

I love seeing SLO in the spotlight for a change too. I grew up in this area, I live here, and I am a Cal Poly Alumni. Now if only we had a good rural park like a Dollywood/Silver Dollar City or Knoebols type of park surrounded by beautiful scenery.

• Replies 577
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Note to self: Don't show 805Andrew's post to my daughter before she (hopefully) heads off to Cal Poly SLO next year. (granted she won't be 21 but still)

I love seeing all the SLO posts! If you or your daughter have any questions about Cal Poly, I'm a current student (Engineering) and can answer them! (Just PM me)

I love seeing SLO in the spotlight for a change too. I grew up in this area, I live here, and I am a Cal Poly Alumni. Now if only we had a good rural park like a Dollywood/Silver Dollar City or Knoebols type of park surrounded by beautiful scenery.

I'm a bit newer than you, but I love it here! I'd love a decent little park too!

So-Cal people...I have a question: First off, I'm planning on staying at a single hotel...doing my research and such, I'm planning on staying as close to Knott's as possible...Toss up of Radisson and Knott's Resort (avoiding the smaller area hotels as they are known for being...yucky). With this said, I know KBF -> SFMM is about an hour drive. Not sure what time we will have to meet at SFMM, but how would the I-5 traffic be early Saturday morning? That way I can gauge how soon I need to head out/arrange with fellow TPR member/friend who's carpooling with us to SFMM.

So-Cal people...I have a question: First off, I'm planning on staying at a single hotel...doing my research and such, I'm planning on staying as close to Knott's as possible...Toss up of Radisson and Knott's Resort (avoiding the smaller area hotels as they are known for being...yucky). With this said, I know KBF -> SFMM is about an hour drive. Not sure what time we will have to meet at SFMM, but how would the I-5 traffic be early Saturday morning? That way I can gauge how soon I need to head out/arrange with fellow TPR member/friend who's carpooling with us to SFMM.

I usually go on I-5 on Saturday mornings to get to SFMM and it really isn't much of a problem. The longest delay I ever had was 15 minutes.

I usually go on I-5 on Saturday mornings to get to SFMM and it really isn't much of a problem. The longest delay I ever had was 15 minutes.

That's good to know! Once I find the time we are to meet at SFMM, I will plan accordingly and probably give myself an extra 30-40 minutes...I like to be early for things.

Yeah sounds like that early on a Sat morning we should be fine. Still, I'm gunna be super safe and give myself at least an extra 30 mins, probably an hour. It's probably good to be early anyway, maybe meet some more people there. Coming from Harbor City guess that means a 2 hour window. If it's not needed and I get there crazy early guess I'm chilling with the ipod until people arrive.

That early on Saturday you should be fine. I'd still give yourself 1 1/2 hours just to be on the safe side. Lots of construction going on these days.

The only other hotel I'd recommend near Knott's (other than the Radisson) would be the Courtyard Marriott. Also within walking distance and easy access to the freeway.

That early on Saturday you should be fine. I'd still give yourself 1 1/2 hours just to be on the safe side. Lots of construction going on these days.

The only other hotel I'd recommend near Knott's (other than the Radisson) would be the Courtyard Marriott. Also within walking distance and easy access to the freeway.

+1 to both of these. Even though it will be early Saturday and there shouldn't be many cars on the road, there is a TON of construction happening on I-5 through south LA (between La Mirada & Huntington Park) that they usually work on until around 10am on weekend mornings.

Sweet, well pretty much everything I need is booked/ordered and planned out.

All that's left now is to wait...

When the time is near we can all get cell numbers and what not, to make the meeting up a bit easier.

I have a busy ass time coming up starting tomorrow so I wont be here as much. Glad this all got figured out, cyall at the bash.

Love that Courtyard. I'm going try to stay there again this time. That's the hotel that Priceline gave me last time I went to Knott's.

I'm a bit newer than you, but I love it here! I'd love a decent little park too!

I guess I'll have to settle with driving 3 hours to SFMM to get my coaster fix...better than nothing.

^At SFMM, I'd guess the headliner rides will be 30-45 minutes, and at Knott's 15-30 minutes. While it is a weekend, most schools will be back in session by this time so it should not be too crowded (certainly not enough to require a Flash Pass or Fast Lane). If you mean during ERT, as a general rule there are few enough people that lines are kept below 15 minutes and often are only two or three trains.

^At SFMM, I'd guess the headliner rides will be 30-45 minutes, and at Knott's 15-30 minutes. While it is a weekend, most schools will be back in session by this time so it should not be too crowded (certainly not enough to require a Flash Pass or Fast Lane). If you mean during ERT, as a general rule there are few enough people that lines are kept below 15 minutes and often are only two or three trains.

Oh man if the headliners are just 30-45 this will be glorious!

Certain ones will most likely be more like X2, probably Tatsu and Green Lantern, and possibly Riddler's Revenge.

Certain ones will most likely be more like X2, probably Tatsu and Green Lantern, and possibly Riddler's Revenge.

Note that the time estimates assume rides are being run reasonably well. If there are one train operations or significant stacking, lines could be longer. I just know that last time I visited SFMM on a non-WCB Saturday (although one in December), I was able to get on all the coasters and leave by 6 P.M. even though I left the park for lunch at a sit-down restaurant. If you're trying to get on everything with minimal waiting, I recommend ending ERT at Goliath and going counter-clockwise from there. Depending on what time lunch is at, you could probably do Colossus, Scream, Green Lantern, Batman, Riddler's, Gold Rusher, Apocalypse, Superman, Ninja, and maybe Tatsu before lunch. It may be tempting to go to X2 first, but that ride rarely opens on time and the line will drop mid-afternoon (usually to below 30 minutes), plus Green Lantern and Superman have terrible capacity.

Damn, I may harp about Great Adventure but at least, usually, operations are running fine enough. Seems like nothing but horror stories and 1 train operations out of magic mountain.

What can ya do?

Yeah X2 was the first to hit up but if that's the case I'll take your word, I do want to get Superman and Green Lantern done, even if the latter is torture looks fun

I was planning on doing both sides of Superman, Green Latern, and Riddler's Revenge after ERT. Hoping the opening crowds run to Tatsu and X2 first

Most of the crowds at opening run to X2, Full Throttle, and Tatsu. So if you head to the back of the park after ERT, you'll be fine.

That's why I gotta get those two out of the way. I only need one ride on X2 and Tatsu during the day...then I can wait till night ERT.

lol superman

As a kid, I was always wowed by that one, I mean it was on EVERY coaster show and we all were like "what 100 mph??? :O :O :O"

Now? After TTD and KK now 0-100 in 7 seconds and going up & down...I wouldn't want to wait more than a few minutes

I found this website like 5-10 years ago but never became a member or been to a TPR event until now. Although, I'm a member of the forums I'm not a TPR member but I am looking forward to my first TPR trip/event.

Much like some of you my family and friends think I'm crazy for traveling all the way across the country to ride roller coasters thus I'll be traveling by myself. I generally do my own thing but I wouldn't mind joining the solo rider group.