TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Theme parks in/near London?

Hi guys,

My parents just surprised me with the announcement of a week long trip to London for their 25th anniversary. I'm thinking of visiting Thore Park, as I've heard it's "near" London but I don't exactly know how accessible it is from London. Could anyone help me with this?

Also would like to know if there are any other parks/rides around London that I'm not yet aware of

Thanks,

Liam S

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^ The drop ride was removed after the 2002 season. It's somewhere else in the UK, although I'm not too sure.

As for parks you can do near London, you basically have the option of Thorpe Park, Chessington, or Legoland.

I suggest Thorpe.

--Robb

yes Thorpe is best for thrills....

I take it you will be staying in central London if your doing the tourist thing... so i suggest you take the train from Waterloo Station to Staines and then from Staines you can catch the bus to Thorpe or catch a taxi...

I would say the train is approx 5-10 pounds (as you will be traveling during peak time to get there for near opening) and im not sure on the bus price but if its not free it will be a couple of pounds... a taxi i guess would be 10pounds appox.

The train journey is appox 30-45mins and the bus/taxi would be another 10mins transit time.

Hope that helps

^ The drop ride was removed after the 2002 season. It's somewhere else in the UK, although I'm not too sure.

I'm pretty sure that The Drop is now at Funland, Hayling Island. This is also now home to Klondike, formerly of Drayton Manor. This park is probably only about 30 mins drive south of London, near Portsmouth, but to be honest, you're better sticking with Thorpe and Chessington. Thorpe has the better rides, Chessington has the better atmosphere, and Dragon's Fury.

Thanks guys, I had no idea Chessington was near London. Looks like both parks are definitely on my itinerary!

A mate of mine informed me earlier this evening that theres a day trip from London to Alton Towers by train which includes entrance to the park - does anyone have any more info on this?

Dont know about the Alton Towers thing and yes Chessington is a nice park even if it is more really a family/kiddie park these days.... I dont know how easy it is to get to chessington though from London.. It's a bit further out of london but yes it's possible.. you could try looking at the website... or sometimes www.thorpeparkguide.com has some usefull information on both parks

Look on Alton Towers Website and this page http://www.altontowers.com/resort/gethere.asp to help get info on how to get to the park.

Chessington is easy to get to, Get any Train service from London Waterloo to Chessington South ( I think they run every 30 mins or so).

Chessington South is the end of the line, so you cannot miss the stop (Just do NOT get off at Chessington North). Walk up the stairs on the platform and exit the station and on the road - Turn Right, as you exit the train station. Walk till you come to the main road ( 2 or 3 mins walk) then turn LEFT, cross the road at the Zebra crossing (at times its a very busy road), continue walking in the same direction, and you should see the car park, then the entrance to the park. I would say its a 10 to 15 min walk in total.

Yes the drop tower that was at the Trocerdero in London is now at Hayling Island, it's not very good I hear from reports I have had from others.

My wife and I did the all inclusive package from London to Alton Towers last summer and had a lot of fun. You just need to be at the train station in the morning and when you arrive at the train station there are buses waiting just for the day trip group. The train is about two hours and the bus is another 45 min. so you are in for a bit of traveling that day. When we were there we had about 6 hours in the park and that was plenty of time to ride all the coasters plus other rides like Hex, the swing boat, the sally dark ride, etc. Just be sure to get your tickets as early as possible because they hike the prices up if you buy them only a day or two in advance.

• 3 years later...

Yikes! This thread is a blast from the past!

This year (2008) neither Virgin Trains nor Midland Mainline ran their all-inclusive deals to Alton Towers. I really hope they consider bringing this back for 2009 as although there are some local bus services which can be reached by train from London, the cost and complication factor really makes things tricky!