TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Unique Coaster Elements

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like Cheetah Hunt's "Figure 8" quite a bit.

There's a nice pop of air as you crest the hill after the launch, and the view from the top is great (you get a chance to appreciate it).

That B&M Flyer... That certainly puts the Superman clones to shame by a mile! There's a few parks here that I know of that layout of that coaster would fit really well in! If B&M can make duplicate coasters that we have here over in China, we can certainly bring a clone of that over here!

I think Shivering Timbers trick-track is unique as it's the only wooden coaster that I know of that still has this element. Boulder Dash had its trick track removed and I know Villain had it taken out I believe the season before it was torn down.

I'm surprised that nobody mentioned Maverick's Horseshoe roll!

I wouldn't really call it unique, it's basically just 2 corkscrews with a turn in between, and the fact that Blue Fire (+ future clone) does the exact same thing as Maverick reduce the uniqueness even more.

The new ride at Alton would be pretty unique to me, since it's more or less just a mess of track, but also includes some really nice inversions.

Raven Turns are unique to the Arrow/S&S 4D coasters. While they are pretty much just a half loop, the experience you get going through them is very different due to the seat rotation.

Space Mountain: Mission 2's uphill launch is also unique. There are a few other coasters that have uphill launches, but all use different technologies. In addition, this ride is the only coaster to have a Tongue inversion, although I think it's just a slightly modified cutback (at least that's what it felt like).

Here's another one Hollywood Rip Ride Rockit's non-inverting loop

I was going to put this one in, but they also have another pretty cool element a little bit later in the ride (right after you go through the building).

rockit.thumb.PNG.e4bbcef63c1ae96a364270d46b56f2a1.PNG

I don't know what this thing is called, but I think they call it the Treble or Music Note or something like that. They did say there is nothing like it in the world, so there's that.

• 5 months later...

Not sure if there's already a topic for this or not, but here it goes... What's the strangest/weirdest element you've encountered on a coaster?

For me it's probably the double down into the breaks on Goliath at La Ronde in Montreal, as you don't usually see double downs on steel coasters.

I'm not quite sure either (will check and see, so far off the top of my head I know there's a unique/strange layouts in general...not isolated to specific parts of a coaster). My strangest element is actually very minimal...it is the double up on Gold Striker...this can actually kick your @$$ in every way (in a good way).

goldydoubleup.jpg.affab5924ba47f25406474ad5d74c5a1.jpg

Lots of body slams will happen here...this is actually where TPR member Blue Fire Guy accidentally elbow punched me in the cheek :)

Photo by RCDB

I didn't think it was possible to get ejector air and killer positive G's at the same time, but it happens here. Also, I'm standing in the doorway in the above photo, which makes it even more awesome.

^I know I'm in a very small minority, but when riding that when in Georgia I actually quite enjoyed myself. It wasn't smooth, but it wasn't uncomfortable either. And that element is certainly something that is incredibly odd and disorienting.

The freefall drop of Verbolten was completely unexpected, but I loved it. I still find, on X-Flight and Gatekeeper, the dive drop and the flythroughs to be very strange. Finally, back to BGW, the interlocking loops on Loch Ness Monster are very messed up.

100_1276.thumb.jpg.79e095ef90cf4c3de4ef8934d692e04c.jpg

From my 2012 DC/King's Dominion/BGW trip.

I'm not quite sure either (will check and see, so far off the top of my head I know there's a unique/strange layouts in general...not isolated to specific parts of a coaster). My strangest element is actually very minimal...it is the double up on Gold Striker...this can actually kick your @$$ in every way (in a good way).

Well, guess its too late to change the thread title, but if you have some f***ed up layouts that are worth mentioning, feel free to post them.