TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

NEWS: Disney reveals details on Walt Disney World MyMagic+

If they don't require 1 then I'm not sure why it would be in there but yes I just read it does have 1 as Robb said so my mistake.

That's why I think it might be some future use that we haven seen yet. The only reason to have power is to send out a signal, but to where will that signal go and what will it do. Hmm. This is not some conspiracy theory, I think its for a currently unused function/ability.

• Replies 683
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't wait to see what disney's longer term plans in fact are with magic band.

I think we will definitely see some rollout in the near future of more than 3 choices/non parkhopper, because the current system is not as good as its predecessor on that front, and doesn't account for seasonality. If I show up to MK on a freezing cold day where the park has 15K people it's a little sad to only get 3 fastpasses where 6 or 7 were possible just last year. But then again, I'm 1 percent of the guests on the aspect of planning...

...which makes me wonder, is the eventual purpose of FP+ to just cut cut cut on spontaneity altogether. The number one reason as a cast member why guests were always complaining was because of their own poor planning. Seriously. Fastpass+ is helping guests tremendously on that front...by forcing them to do it. It would be possible after all on a magic band to force guests into a full and complete daily schedule like some of the Japanese parks tend towards. "No admission into any queue unless you are within your two hour window of being allowed to ride Splash Mountain today folks!" Or at least give Disney that option. I mean, what are they going to do when MK attendance hits 20-23-25+ million in a single year? FP+ could just be a big herding and efficiency tool.

I think we will definitely see some rollout in the near future of more than 3 choices/non parkhopper, because the current system is not as good as its predecessor on that front, and doesn't account for seasonality. If I show up to MK on a freezing cold day where the park has 15K people it's a little sad to only get 3 fastpasses where 6 or 7 were possible just last year. But then again, I'm 1 percent of the guests on the aspect of planning...

But on a slower day, you wouldn't need Fastpass that much anyway. So even though you could run around and get 6 or 7 under the old system, the amount of time saved wouldn't be that great.

...which makes me wonder, is the eventual purpose of FP+ to just cut cut cut on spontaneity altogether. The number one reason as a cast member why guests were always complaining was because of their own poor planning. Seriously. Fastpass+ is helping guests tremendously on that front...by forcing them to do it.

I think FP+ helps to smooth out some of the problems with the old Fastpass system - for example, if you had a dining reservation smack bang in the middle of your FP return time (or were planning to see a parade/fireworks), there would be no way to move the FP time around to suit your plans. But with FP+ it looks like that's pretty straightforward.

The battery is for all of the long range RF that they use to track where you are visiting frequently and other data used to market to you correctly.

Ahh, ok. That makes sense. So I'm assuming that comes into play with things like PhotoPass and even when you walk out of a park and there aren't any turnstiles anymore.

I kind of wish they would implement the direct marketing stuff sooner than later. I always find it fascinating to see what Google ads and other systems seem to think I like based on what websites I visit, I think it would be amazing to see if Disney could "get" my likes and dislikes simply by what I do in the parks. Taking that kind of thing we normally are used to on the web and seeing it "real time" I think is just amazing.

^And I am assuming that its also used for Be Our Guest as during the lunch hours you use your MagicBand instead of the rose to order and so they know where you are sitting when they bring your food

We used the rose last year at Be Our Guest during lunch. I'd hate for that to stop just because the Magic Bands are out now.

^And I am assuming that its also used for Be Our Guest as during the lunch hours you use your MagicBand instead of the rose to order and so they know where you are sitting when they bring your food

We used the rose last year at Be Our Guest during lunch. I'd hate for that to stop just because the Magic Bands are out now.

We used our MagicBand at Be Our Guest in November. I didn't really find it any better/worse than the rose, to be honest. I always kind of thought the roses just looked like a red bar of soap anyway! lol

The roses are just plastic covers with magic bands inside of them. I'm pretty sure they are meant to be phased out sometime in the future.

Exactly. Just like the temporary white cards they used to hand out at Test Track to store your vehicle on. Those are almost completely phased out now.

Speaking of Test Track, will the wristband be able to store things like individual cars from Test Track? Like, can I design the car, tap by wristband, and then tap it after the ride (in the same way the plastic cards worked)?

Yes. This has been the way Test Track has been working for the past 5 or 6 months now. You almost never see the temporary plastic cards anymore.

We used our MagicBand at Be Our Guest in November. I didn't really find it any better/worse than the rose, to be honest. I always kind of thought the roses just looked like a red bar of soap anyway! lol

Haha yeah, it's good that there will be the same functionality either way. There was something to being given a magical rose at Be Our Guest though, even if it did look like a red bar of soap.

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like there was an update to the FastPass+ on the My Disney Experience App just from last week! I was now able to make my reservations and then go in and change the time to nearly ANYTHING I wanted with a giant selection.

BfwVhLeIYAAXlWQ.jpg:large

What was that about FastPass Plus removing all elements of spontaneity from a trip to Walt Disney World?

I admit that skeptical A.J. was skeptical at first like a lot of the others but this is turning out to be a wonderful rollout.

Wait, I thought you were able to do that before. At least, I thought I was able to.

No, you were able to choose from a few select choices of times, not just a giant menu like that. If you went to one of the kiosks as a day guest, they could do this for you, but not for being using the app for FP+, this is new as of this week.

It's annoying that you can't just choose your desired times from the beginning, but eh, it's progress right?

Is it for us that know what we were doing, but we make up a VERY VERY VERY small percentage of the people who go to WDW. I'm sure if your Joe Arkansas random person who is brand new to any of the parks, would have his head explode and make terrible decisions if he was given all those options up front.

Hate to say it, this system will NEVER be made for "locals" because the resort isn't made for locals. It wasn't until the MagicBands came out to resort guests that you can now walk around the parks and get a quick visual indication of just how many people are staying on property at a resort. And it's MOST of them!