TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

NEWS: Disney reveals details on Walt Disney World MyMagic+

• Replies 683
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^I wouldn't know about the tan lines because as soon as I put it on I was instantly hauled off by some secret government agency that tapped into my brain because I wasn't wearing my tin foil hat and the RFID gave away all of my most inner private deep dark secrets.

Seriously though, I haven't been following the details of when and how they'll be released to everyone other than we're seeing Cast Members and Resort Guests with them, and believe that Assholders are next.

^I wouldn't know about the tan lines because as soon as I put it on I was instantly hauled off by some secret government agency that tapped into my brain because I wasn't wearing my tin foil hat and the RFID gave away all of my most inner private deep dark secrets.

Seriously though, I haven't been following the details of when and how they'll be released to everyone other than we're seeing Cast Members and Resort Guests with them, and believe that Assholders are next.

If Disneyland was in San Diego, they would have been first.

If Disneyland was in San Diego, they would have been first.

Confusing post is confusing.

Edited by ernierocker

One can be easily confused when one thinks that all news comes from message boards.

The Magic 8 Ball says, "Outlook hazy--ask again later."

Edited by cfc

• 2 months later...

So I was thinking about MyMagic+ today and had the privilege of reading some internal documents.

Here is where the current tests stand..

As a guest who is selected for a test, you currently have two choices.

1-Join the test- You are entitled to book 3 experiences/rides per day but you are not allowed to use fastpass (regular) at all..

Pros-

-Know you will get on the 3 rides you care most about that day.

-You'll have access to experiences that a regular guest normally wouldn't (vip fireworks seating, priority parade seating, meet a character that isn't fasspassable).I love making up words.

-The ability to pay for a meal, open up a hotel room, or purchase a balloon at the flick of a wrist.

Cons- The equivalent of 3 fast passes every day with limited ability to enjoy a spontaneous trip or use your trip planning to maximize rides.

-You are unable to use the regular fastpass system in any form.

-You have to plan your trip before you take your trip.

2- Skip the test

Pros- Seasoned tour planners should be able to get 6-9 fastpasses on an average day (allowing for more rides on average).

Cons- Special experiences like the aforementioned vip seating are now out of play.

-Less integration with paying for items and planning the day before

-You have to plan your trip before you take your trip.

That being said; What's your current take on magic bands?

-chris "yes I realize, it's a test and adjust phase, but I'd still like to hear your thoughts" con

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/business/os-disney-mymagic-oversight-20131030,0,6491648.story

The Walt Disney Co. has turned responsibility for its "MyMagic+" project to the top executive at Walt Disney World, as the billion-dollar project gets closer to a full launch.

Disney last week assigned day-to-day oversight of MyMagic+ to Disney World President George Kalogridis, who will now be in charge of successfully implementing the multi-tentacled project. Designed to get guests to spend more time and money at Disney World by making it easier to navigate the crowded resort, MyMagic+ includes microchip-equipped bracelets known as "MagicBands" that will function as all-in-one theme-park tickets, hotel-room keys and credit cards and a new reservation system that will allow travelers to book ride and show times weeks before their vacations.

The project, which has been in development for more than half a decade, has been led since late 2009 by Nick Franklin, Walt Disney Parks and Resorts' executive vice president for next generation experience and a member of Disney Parks Chairman Tom Staggs' executive committee. Disney said Franklin's primary focus will now shift to future development efforts, which will could include devising more uses for the technologies involved in MyMagic+ and adapting them for use at Disney's other theme-park resorts around the world.

Disney said the changes come as it reaches "important milestones in terms of testing" with MyMagic+ and begins folding employees who had been pulled aside to develop the project back into its broader operations.

^Have the come up with a solution to the tan line problem?

I can't wait to try this out. I loved when they started using your room key for entry into the parks and a charge card. This is a step beyond!

Not that Disney was ever a chore, but they are making everything super convenient with MyMagic+. I like the idea of being able to schedule my Fastpasses for the busier parts of the day, and around any dining or show plans. (As much fun as back-and-forthing across the park to pick up Fastpass tickets can be, I don't think that will be something I'll miss!)

• 4 weeks later...

Allow me to quote (And by quote I mean copy word for word) from Screamscape.com

The latest update at MiceChat paints a rather sour picture for the US Disney parks, especially as it seems the very successful California parks are about to be punished for the short-sighted moves of their Florida cousins. The article claims that Bob Iger has essentially shut down Imagineering’s development of all new attractions for the Disney parks in the US and Paris.

Why for? It seems the cause of Iger’s displeasure is Walt Disney World’s still incomplete and very overbudget NextGen / MyMagic+ project. Just last week it was reported that the final rollout of the MyMagic+ system had been delayed for several more months while they work out and test new solutions based on “guest feedback”. In other words, the test guinea pigs (aka: Resort Guests) who are currently about the only ones using the system have been complaining enough about aspects of the system that Disney feels it isn’t ready for the full scale launch. This bad news follows the corporate ends promise earlier this year that the MyMagic+ system would not only be up and running by this time, but that Disney was expecting to begin rolling in the benfits of increased guest spending and satisfaction marks.

With the system not only not ready, but demanding even more capital investment in order to “fix it”, it’s no wonder Iger is in a foul mood. Unfortunately he has chosen to take out his ire on the rest of the parks… with the well performing Disneyland Resort parks seeming to take most of the first devastating blows. According to MiceChat has resulted in the possible permanent closure of the Finding Nemo Submarine Voyage, the Star Wars themed Tomorrowland project being put on hold, the Monstropolis project for California Adventure being cancelled, plans to upgrade five Fantasyland dark rides for the park’s 60th Anniversary are on hold, all other 60th Anniversary plans (fireworks & parades) are on hold, and a planned update for the Little Mermaid ride at DCA is on hold. The only project listed as still moving forward right now is planned HD upgrade to Soarin’ that goes hand in hand with the new Shanghai version of the attraction.

All WDI staff involved with these projects and others also put into limbo for WDW and Paris are focusing on helping the Tokyo and Shanghai teams get caught up with their workload for now. Lets hope Iger will refocus efforts onto some or all of these projects sooner than later.

So no major new attractions/improvements to WDW or DL Resort. Hope this overpriced problematic invention is worth is.

I take the Screamscape/Mice Chat comments with a grain of salt (as I do most Disney things from Mice Chat). Sure the roll out isn't perfect but I think long term it will be quite a huge success. MM+ has a lot of upfront costs but will continue to generate large amounts incremental revenue for years to come. Despite being over budget, Disney is doing a good job in rolling it out - they aren't rushing it as they may have with some other program roll outs. When I switched my annual pass they had literally probably a hundred people waiting to help. Every turnstile has a extra cast member to assist with tickets and wristbands. Most companies, when over budget, would quickly cut any extra service positions.

And just because a rumored Star Wars land has been put on "hold" doesn't mean nothing is happening.(let's be real... for some other sites saying/claiming Studios would be nearly completely rebuilt with both Carsland AND Star Wars land was a pipe dream to begin with) - a new roller coaster opens in the next few months, a new resort addition, complete overhaul of DTD and Avatar Land plus all the little updates and projects all over. Not too shabby of an expansion plan if you ask me.

As I said if we look back in 10 years from now I firmly believe the general consensus will be "despite the launch setbacks, MM+ is a proven success". Fanboys may complain, but when it works the guest seem to dig it and the industry certainly seemed to eat it up when WDW's president presented on it at IAAPA last week.

It's miceage. If this were even remotely true, real news outlets would be all over it reporting on how the parks and resorts division (2nd most profitable division of the company) was in any trouble...

Miceage, enough said. Even if it was a complete failure, I don't see any company stopping all work because of it. Like Jew said, we would've definitely heard something by now about it in the news. A cancelation of all major projects and shifting all that money to one location doesn't happen in a public company the size of Disney without some real news agencies picking it up as well.