TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

NEWS: Disney reveals details on Walt Disney World MyMagic+

^^^As the one that merged the threads, I can tell you there were no ill intentions. Your post, while appreciated was still directly related to MyMagic+ and we already had a thread for that discussion. Seeing as this thread will likely become a "discussion thread" on the topic in the near future, it made sense to move all discussion on the forum directly related to the overall system into here.

• Replies 683
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The assertion that FP+ and plain old vanilla FP is an either / or proposition comes from Disney's MyMagic terms of service. No, I'm not going to paste in the reference, as I don't care. Who parses every line of an endless TOS screed anyway, other than info-hungry (by that I mean obsessive) Disney fanatics? The current boilerplate shouldn't be taken so seriously - the program is in test and adjust.

I wish I hadn't picked up that worthless tidbit, but I was just recently in the parks and looked at a couple of DISney sites for info to maximize my singular day between four parks.

I said that a few days ago. Pretty much ALL of the Disney sites are saying FP+ is either or, which makes it fairly worthless.

Disney is essentially moving back to ticket books. Just like back then, you'll get a few goods rides with entry. Then, you can pay for extra. You used to be able to buy extra E tickets. Now you still can, with a Disney Resort room rental.

Disney seems to really be wanting to limit the number of E ticket rides you can get. Ultimately, this may make events like MNSSHP a lot better deals,if they are still FP free.

But, plenty of folks on here think its fabulous! I don't see how anyone can think this move is going to make a visit by a multiple visit fan better. I am positive I will ride fewer E tickets on my next visit.

-R

I'm certain most locals know when to visit the parks during slow periods, so dealing with lines/Fastpass issues shouldn't be that big of an deal.

From reading the original PR, I don't see how FP+ gets in the way of people grabbing regular FPs and if they really limit it to just 5 per day. Unless absolutely everyone is automatically required to book 5 Fastpasses (which could cause some trouble), the new system shouldn't get in the way of how things are currently run.

- I read a 14 page debate about Main Street USA's paint scheme and how it should be changed on a Disney forum. Their fanboys seem to have a habit of overreacting to changes like Fastpass+.

Locals will get their alloted quarterly FP+s and that's it. They will then stand in standby lines for everything. Some rides will be off limits for locals, such as TSMM, Splash, anything with large standbys normally.

ANyone who thinks this isn't going to decrease the average number of rides they get during a visit is already living Fantasyland, so they don't need FPs.

-R

Aww man Disney is going to throttle Disney World just like how AT&T throttles my internet.

"You have ridden the maximum number of rides allowed on this visit. If you wish to ride Space Mountain you will be charged an additional $15, do you accept?"

Edited by SLUSHIE

ANyone who thinks this isn't going to decrease the average number of rides they get during a visit is already living Fantasyland, so they don't need FPs.

I guess then I'll just go eat at one of the many great restaurants that supposedly don't exist there. Or watch a show. Or visit a gift shop. Or relax and talk with friends. Or people watch. Or jump on my smart phone and complain about how "bad" my Disney vacation is going in real time so the world will know of Disney's evil plan to suck out all the fun, right?

I don't wear rose colored glasses, but I don't need each WDW visit to play out as perfect as a friggin' Navy SEALS covert op either. Some people seem to think Iger is turning into the next great dictator or something.

He's not.

Edited by BeemerBoy

I guess then I'll just go eat at one of the many great restaurants that supposedly don't exist there. Or watch a show. Or visit a gift shop. Or relax and talk with friends. Or people watch. Or jump on my smart phone and complain about how "bad" my Disney vacation is going in real time.

And anyone who thinks this way should just go spend more time at Six Flags and get the hell out of the Disney parks.

This is ridiculous. Hey, everyone, guess where I was today? WALT DISNEY WORLD! You know what I can tell you? All the FastPass + stuff is still all covered up, it's not in use, it hasn't been fully rolled out yet, and there hasn't been any data that Disney can collect, look at it, make decisions, and tweak the program.

And that is EXACTLY what is going to happen once it all gets fully rolled out. The only things being used right now resort-wide is the tap to enter the park, and tap to pay for stuff.

Personally, I'm sick of all these debates and discussions over something that hasn't been fully launched or tested. Everyone, and I mean EVERYONE is "speculating" based on what they've currently seen online at the official Disney site (which is very little), and reading other Disney sites and creating so many rumors, and repeating them over and over again, that these rumors have become "facts."

Any "rumor" you might be hearing, whether it's AP holders only get 25 FastPasses per season, or they can only be booked at one park at a time, or you'll be able to get an RFID enabled penis, whatever, it ALL WILL CHANGE as soon as it's rolled out, tested, and they've been able to collect data.

And how do I know this? Because I REGULARLY VISIT WALT DISNEY WORLD and I can see and experience these things with my own eyes. Yes, I am a live human actually AT THE PARKS watching how this is all going down. I'm not speculation based on something I read somewhere else, I'm watching things as they unfold at the parks, and what's being rolled out for people. And not just with My Magic+, with many different things.

For example, we watched Magic Kingdom suddenly change the blockout dates for Cast Members based on data they collected about New Fantasyland. People bitched and complained that cast members weren't going to be allowed to sign in guests to MK until March, and oh, look, it's been lifted already. Why? Because Disney collects data and dynamically will make changes to better suit EVERYONE. The exact same thing will happen with MyMagic+ once they see how everything works, or if the case may be, doesn't work.

Seriously, I am really close to locking this thread because the information being posted is about as wrong as anyone could be.

--Robb "End Rant." Alvey

Any "rumor" you might be hearing, whether it's AP holders only get 25 FastPasses per season, or they can only be booked at one park at a time, or you'll be able to get an RFID enabled penis, whatever, it ALL WILL CHANGE as soon as it's rolled out, tested, and they've been able to collect data.

As an Annual Passholder, I stand firm on my being entitled to an RFID enabled penis.

Ed Markey is a f**king moron. It's idiots like this in congress that makes the world a WORSE place to live and play. I could only read about 1/10 of it before I had to stop. I really hope that Disney has a politically correct way of telling him to piss off and throw his letter in the garbage bin where it belongs.

I read the full letter, and it seems Markey concerned with what data will be collected, if one can opt out, what the consequences of opting out are, how long the data is stored, and especially with how it would use this data for marketing. It seems particularly concerned with children 12 and under. Maybe it falls under COPPA (the Children's Online Privacy Protection Act) which affects the data websites can collect on children and the ads that they can target at children. If the data is stored in synergy with the Disney websites, it is a legal concern of congress. It didn't read as hostile to me, just questions that should be explored by Congress. Though the FTC deregulated television ads targeted at children, the government is still protective of children being targeted by ads through individual data collection. Markey was within his boundaries as the co-chair of the Congressional privacy caucus. I still don't like the guy, though. I doubt that this will have any influence on what Disney rolls out because I doubt that they would collect information on children without parental control/consent. Though I find Markey a blowhard and distinctly slimy and odioous, I don't think that Markey's malarkey is anything to worry about. Disney's beaten Congress before, and I know they have a better approval rating.

Now if you'll excuse me, I have to pack. I'm going to be kicked out of Texas for defending a Democrat Congressman from Massachusetts.

Edited by Miracleman

And that my friends should banish all the people who are up in arms about this to the nether regions of the interwebs... When Ed Markey is on your side you should take that as a serious warning that you are wrong. If you don't confess your sins soon bad things will happen. You will claim G-Forces are too high, then that the air is to polluted to go outside, so you buy a couple of cats and lock the door, then you use online retailers to make all your purchases, but then it turns out that those retailers are too collecting info on you, you become more reclusive, CATS MULTIPLY,..."New at 11 tonight we enter a home with over 90 cats to find a man who's life was ruined and it all started with Disney's My Magic+"

Honestly it is people like Ed that are making me want to move to Europe or a western Asian country (Japan, South Korea, Singapore, ect) because its not about guest privacy it's about $$$$$$! His paper is full of a bunch of malarky, but what can we expect from the same guy who tried to impose the Roller Coaster G-Force limit (they already do, it's called the human body ). If this idiot EVER get nominated for president DO NOT VOTE FOR HIM!

Edited by robbalvey

I read the full letter, and it seems Markey concerned with what data will be collected, if one can opt out, what the consequences of opting out are, how long the data is stored, and especially with how it would use this data for marketing. It seems particularly concerned with children 12 and under. Maybe it falls under COPPA (the Children's Online Privacy Protection Act) which affects the data websites can collect on children and the ads that they can target at children. If the data is stored in synergy with the Disney websites, it is a legal concern of congress. It didn't read as hostile to me, just questions that should be explored by Congress. Though the FTC deregulated television ads targeted at children, the government is still protective of children being targeted by ads through individual data collection. Markey was within his boundaries as the co-chair of the Congressional privacy caucus.

Now if you'll excuse me, I have to pack. I'm going to be kicked out of Texas for defending a Democrat Congressman from Massachusetts.

You obviously know nothing about this guy and what his impact has been on the amusement park industry so why don't you leave the opinions to the people who know what they are talking about?

Thanks.

--Robb "No intelligent person would be defending this guy." Alvey

Edited by robbalvey

I'm not really defending the guy. I know about all the "safety" that he is concerned with at theme parks, and the weird questions he asks. He is antagonistic and not one I would ever vote for. My main point was that Congress is within their legal bounds to be asking privacy questions concerning advertising at children. I also say that Disney isn't planning on breaking the law. I just don't see what Disney has to worry about in this regard. Unless MyMagic can cause g-forces of brain-damaging proportion. The defending him line was a sarcastic joke for the last line. Nowhere in my previous post do I defend Markey the man or Markey the congressman.

I don't see the harm in asking these questions. Some of the answers are pretty obvious, this just seems precautionary.

Since the laws are so open when it comes to storing personal data it doesn't hurt to ask, and I wouldn't expect any further action to be taken on their answers.

I know nothing about what the guy has done in the past, but this itself seems pretty standard.

I don't see the harm in asking these questions. Some of the answers are pretty obvious, this just seems precautionary.

Since the laws are so open when it comes to storing personal data it doesn't hurt to ask, and I wouldn't expect any further action to be taken on their answers.

I know nothing about what the guy has done in the past, but this itself seems pretty standard.

You assume that Washington has any business poking their nose in here. They don't. Amusement park regulation has historically been a state matter. And the system works just fine. Congressman Markey has been trying to get DC's fangs into this for years. And no good can come of that.