TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

NEWS: Disney reveals details on Walt Disney World MyMagic+

• Replies 683
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not sure how I feel about this system. On one hand, it's a fantastic piece of Next Gen tech that makes Resort visits even more of a breeze, but I also have some reservations about it.

Personally I'm going to wait until the system is active and fully implemented before I make a judgement. I'm not going to prematurely praise it, rather I'll wait to see how it operates.

I wish you could have the option of using a lanyard or a wristband. As an adult I find the wristband too much like being like the monitored prisoner in The Running Man or THX 1138.

Granted I think the kids should wear the wristbands because it will be harder for them to lose it.

I love how people think that, just because the MagicBands were talked about and in the picture, these will be the ONLY type of RFID activators that will be released.

My own personal, means absolutely nothing, opinion is that I think this is investing in a new way to experience the same old thing. Rather than investing in anything thats actually new.

I just think that if the issue was that pressing of a matter than it could have been solved long before the digital age with a ticket and punch hole system based on times given for each ride, or other options. I just think they're reinventing the wheel instead of just building anything worthwhile.

But again, that is my humble opinion.

^ Your resort room key, credit card, dining reservations and plans, park tickets, and fastpass info could be put on a single punchcard system? Ok.

That obviously wasn't what I was addressing. I was referring to this point in the article:

Like most people who visit Walt Disney World Resort, my family and I have our “must-do” attractions, and as the father of three boys, those attractions often end with the word “mountain.” Now, rather than dashing as a group, or even splitting up to gather FastPasses, imagine booking guaranteed ride times for your favorite shows and attractions even before setting foot in the park. With MyMagic+, guests will be able to do that and more, enabling them to spend more time together and creating an experience that’s better for everyone.

I just don't think this is that big of an issue. I don't know anyone who ever comes back from Disney Parks saying "Gee, I wish I spent more time with my family on that vacation!" That's why I don't understand the reservation system as a whole. Its just complicating matters rather than fixing any real problem.

If Stagg's boys like riding "mountains", maybe he should invest in more mountains!

^ Your resort room key, credit card, dining reservations and plans, park tickets, and fastpass info could be put on a single punchcard system? Ok.

That obviously wasn't what I was addressing. I was referring to this point in the article:

Like most people who visit Walt Disney World Resort, my family and I have our “must-do” attractions, and as the father of three boys, those attractions often end with the word “mountain.” Now, rather than dashing as a group, or even splitting up to gather FastPasses, imagine booking guaranteed ride times for your favorite shows and attractions even before setting foot in the park. With MyMagic+, guests will be able to do that and more, enabling them to spend more time together and creating an experience that’s better for everyone.

I just don't think this is that big of an issue. I don't know anyone who ever comes back from Disney Parks saying "Gee, I wish I spent more time with my family on that vacation!" That's why I don't understand the reservation system as a whole. Its just complicating matters rather than fixing any real problem.

If Stagg's boys like riding "mountains", maybe he should invest in more mountains!

You clearly do not have a clue what this is all about. Please move on to another discussion. Thanks.

I love how people think that, just because the MagicBands were talked about and in the picture, these will be the ONLY type of RFID activators that will be released.

The MagicBands have been the only RFID device mentioned ever since Jim Hill broke this program last year when it was called X-Pass. He brought up concerns about how a wearing a wristband for a week in humid Florida weather would feel.

I do really like being able to have your own personalized MagicBand especially after buying all the Star Wars characters.

I think it would be nice if they also were in normal plastic cards with a notch in them, then people could hang them on their lanyards or on a retractable reel. That way they would pretty much work like a employee badge used to open doors and whatever.

I think its pretty funny that they are going to sell accessories for these things, kinda like how they sell pins for lanyards or something.

This is totally awesome! If successful I would love to see this happen at many other parks! It totally reminds me of cruising, your Royal Caribbean boarding pass is your room key, charge card, etc. I love that I can leave my belongings locked in my room's safe.

Excited to see this in action!

It's great to see that Disney continues to innovate so much with their operations. I think this is a fantastic move and will no doubt be a part of the future at every other serious theme park around the world as the cost of the technology drops.

Privacy may be a concern for some but I think in the majority of cases people's misgivings come as a result of not properly understanding how the system actually works. Plus there's always going to be the 'tinfoil hat' wearers who'll jump up and down whenever RFID is mentioned.

I can't wait to try this out next time I make it to WDW! Ultimately it means more rides and a more convenient guest experience, which can't be a bad thing.

I am usually against WDW's attempts to make you plan more, and this is no different. They do say you can rearrange if you want, but I'm sure that depends on availability. And if you are at the park, I doubt you'll be able to bring up the app and change your Splash FP times, day of.

Clearly this is being put in place to give resort guests more FPs. On crowded days, 3 or 4 extra FPs that don't impact the times of other FPs is a HUGE perk! And if you can buy more, then that too is huge.

What sucks is that it will pretty much force you to stay in a Moderate or better resort. And since we don't hit Disney our whole vacation, we will have to do all of our Disney days together, and switch hotels when we aren't there.

Ultimately, I think this will REALLy lower the product that the average yocal staying offsite will get from a day at Disney, which is A LOT of people. I remember a good friend of mine, and a smart guy, at work said he had a hotel room at the "Main Gate". Well, it was one of those crap Kissimmee maingate places. He had no idea. ANd there are a lot more of him than "us".

The other thing with this that no one has mentioned so far is that this essentially makes FPs 100% non-transferrable. Some folks won't use their allotted rides, and now, they can't give them to someone else. WHen a Japanese girl came over and gave me a Journey FP late in the day, I was EXTREMELY happy, since I simply didn't have the time for another ride. That can't happen with the magic bands. And instead of you giving the ride to someone, it will be absorbed into the standby collective, and have an insignificant effect.

I'm sure WDW will still be packed, but everything they have been doing is to essentially take away any advantages that hardcore fanboys have at the park. If Universal didn't exist, and wasn't spending tons of cash on new rides, it would be fine. But I think Disney is risking some PR points here. And if Mordor starts to rise to the North, it could certainly spell Doom.

-R

^Yep clearly Disney has no idea what they are doing and will end up like AstroWorld.

As an annual passholder who goes once a week or more this does not bother me at all. Why shouldn't someone who gets to go once every five years and pay $400 plus a night to stay on property get a few extra perks other than EMH? In reality it seems as if those perks will once perfected be extended out to most all who come to the park. Sure you may have to pay extra, but aren't you already doing that by staying at a resort on property that comes with a built-in premium? The average guest wants to be told what and when to do something to some extent. Think about all the advice books on how to do Disney and now planning sites devoted to it. Surely you have gone to any WDW park and seen the poor mom or dad with the day planner trying to get the group to stay on task so they can "do everything" Disney is simply giving the guest a better way to do that. I also think it will make it less stress on the guest. Now sure to us we just want to go and do as we please, but it is not like that is going away. Most of us will stick to our routine and go at off times anyways which stand-by is shorter and it doesn't matter as much.

Ryan

I'm sure WDW will still be packed, but everything they have been doing is to essentially take away any advantages that hardcore fanboys have at the park.

-R

Is this necessarily a "bad thing"?

I remember a good friend of mine, and a smart guy, at work said he had a hotel room at the "Main Gate". Well, it was one of those crap Kissimmee maingate places. He had no idea. ANd there are a lot more of him than "us".

Obviously not that smart....assuming it was booked anytime since the dawn of the modern internet.

If Universal didn't exist, and wasn't spending tons of cash on new rides, it would be fine. But I think Disney is risking some PR points here. And if Mordor starts to rise to the North, it could certainly spell Doom.

People have been predicting the impending "doom" of Disney parks for one reason or another since 1955. How's that workin' out?