TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

NEWS: Disney reveals details on Walt Disney World MyMagic+

• Replies 683
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can't wait to see it out here on the West Coast once they perfect it!

The system seems to be really geared more towards a type of resort where people are booking all inclusive packages and have multiple days with hotel rooms, several dining reservations, FastPass, PhotoPass, Character meals, interactive attractions, etc, etc...

While obviously it could work at a resort that is more geared for "locals" and shorter stays rather than out-of-area long-term visitors, I think it would probably end up being a bit scaled back?

Has anyone heard if west coast is even in the current plans? I've not even heard this mentioned at all...

--Robb

^I am certainly no expert, but there is no sign of any change within the parks regarding the gate, fastpass, dining, or hotels. These soft-runs you are seeing at WDW are non-existent out here. But hey, cut us some slack, we just got keen on the whole Earl of Sandwich thing

I do understand what you mean about the 'Resort Experience' thing though. While I hate the idea (environmentally) of all those FP tickets printing every day, we really don't have the same necessity to streamline the guest experience that WDW does. I also may be in the minority here, but I kind of enjoy the whole wild west, do it yourself vibe that floats over the Disneyland Resort on busy days. Whatever that means

I don't know why everyone keeps talking about how foreign phone users will struggle with this, I recently did a japan tour and Singapore and I never had a problem. universal had an app and when my stubborn Korean phone wouldn't connect to check line times there were lots of staff to help me get what i wanted done and there was plenty of wifi everywhere, even when my phone refused it someone helped show me on my park map where I could find line times ( i realize looking up ride lines is different from booking fast-pass but my point is that a park will always have alternatives and friendly staff to assist you).

I like to be spontaneous but i would welcome a chance to plan some of my fastpasses, due to extenuating circumstances the day before that i'll try and cover during my trip report, Tokyo Disneysea was packed with people the day I visited and even though I managed to get fastpasses and was happy I got everything done, i found that at 2-3 points during the day i literally had an hour- an hour and a half each time where I couldn't do anything because i was waiting for a fast pass time and was worried about joining any line for fear of missing my fast pass window. I'd have been more than happy to have been able to plan even a little and then been spontaneous for the rest of the day. Although to be fair DIsneysea was one of those parks where you can just walk around and admire everything.

I gather that you didn't realize that if you show up late for your Fastpass time at pretty much any Disney park that they'll almost always let you in? At least that's been my experience.

I had similar issues with planning my days at both Tokyo DIsney parks, in terms of scheduling both Fastpass rides and regular standby lines. But they'd always let me ride, even if my time had passed. (Plus, single rider is your friend, although they were only running the single rider line on SPlash Mountain and Indian Jones while I was there in October.)

Does Universal Japan have an app? I didn't find one in the Android market. Or is it iPhone only? Or was that just for Singapore you're talking about?

I gather that you didn't realize that if you show up late for your Fastpass time at pretty much any Disney park that they'll almost always let you in? At least that's been my experience.

This policy changed at WDW about 8 months ago. They no longer allow late FastPass returns. People were in a huge uproar when they heard about this change (naturally), but since it went into effect, seems it really hasn't impacted much and you almost never hear about it.

--Robb "Guess Disney DOES know what it's doing..." Alvey

Edited by SharkTums

The only thing that scares me about the wide usage of RFID bands with credit card information stored on them is skimming. But I bet Disney already thought about this, i hope. I wonder if they created their system where each rfid chip has a unique Disney code that can only be interpreted by Disney software system that is linked to individual profiles. And if you were to skim the rfid code from the bands, it would mean nothing to skimmers. But I wonder if you can copy the code, transfer it to another rfid chip, and then use it in the Disney parks. But what kind of criminal would do that? Seems like to much work for a small gain. I wonder what the cost differential between writeable and re-writeable bands are. I bet their IT people make bank from this project.

I'm also wondering how many people enjoy wearing wristbands. Not many people from what I have seen. I think it would be interesting to see what people would do when it rolls out. Here is my prediction. People would put them on for a day, maybe 2. Then they would get sick of wearing them. Then they would carry them in their pocket and eventually lose them. Like I said before, it would be interesting to see the number of people needing replacement bands. But this could be easily solved by issuing a paper ticket, or charging for a replacement band.

That's pretty much how it works. The chip in the band contains nothing but a unique identifier which is just numbers n whatnot that is used to associate the wristband with data stored in the database. There is no way to obtain personal information from the wristband itself. If someone did manage to make a 'copy' of the wristband, they might possibly be able to use it to enter the park and make small purchases under $50 that don't require the PIN (at Disney that wont get you very far), and that's probably not all that worth it to most thief's. They might also be able to use it to get into peoples hotel rooms, assuming they knew which room it was. Since all this info is also accessible though web apps though, that's where the real danger always is. If their site is susceptible to injection, all kinda of data could be retrieved that way. An example of that being when people got credit card info an whatnot of users off the PlayStation network.

I think the wristband makes perfect sense for kids, but I personally wouldn't want to wear one on my wrist for my multiple day vacation at Disney World. I'm not a jewelry person and I can't stand wearing a watch or anything like that. I don't care if I have to pull it out of my pocket every time or awkwardly 'hump' the reader, I'm not going to be putting that thing on my wrist.

Edited by SLUSHIE

The only thing that scares me about the wide usage of RFID bands with credit card information stored on them is skimming. But I bet Disney already thought about this, i hope. I wonder if they created their system where each rfid chip has a unique Disney code that can only be interpreted by Disney software system that is linked to individual profiles. And if you were to skim the rfid code from the bands, it would mean nothing to skimmers. But I wonder if you can copy the code, transfer it to another rfid chip, and then use it in the Disney parks. But what kind of criminal would do that? Seems like to much work for a small gain. I wonder what the cost differential between writeable and re-writeable bands are. I bet their IT people make bank from this project.
Well, for starters a skimmer wouldn't be able to read a signal from your wristband unless he was within 10cm or so, and I imagine someone going around and touching peoples wristbands would get noticed and dealt with pretty quickly. That's actually a pretty important security measure of NFC in general. If someone is close enough to interface with your NFC device, you'd probably know it, as they practically have to be touching.

The way these NFC tags work is using some magic called electrodynamic induction. Basically the reader sends a relatively powerful RF signal at the wristband, and the wristband reflects some of that energy back to make a new, weaker signal, without needing a battery or any other external power source. The reflected RF energy is enough to power a tiny microcontroller in the wristband as well. What this means is the wristband can run code, enabling it to do something more complex than giving off a simple key. There will probably be some sort of handshake process to verify a wristbands legitimacy, making them harder to tamper with/dupicate/spoof.

These two conditions, in my mind, make it not worth the time and effort to a hacker. I mean, credit cards are now using a very similar technology. RFID Car keys have been around since the mid 90s, and have lead to a decrease in auto theft. You don't hear about criminals "skimming" key fob tags and stealing cars, do you?

I had similar issues with planning my days at both Tokyo DIsney parks, in terms of scheduling both Fastpass rides and regular standby lines. But they'd always let me ride, even if my time had passed. (Plus, single rider is your friend, although they were only running the single rider line on SPlash Mountain and Indian Jones while I was there in October.)

Does Universal Japan have an app? I didn't find one in the Android market. Or is it iPhone only? Or was that just for Singapore you're talking about?

It was just Singapore that I used an App, not to derail the thread since i'll cover it when I get round to the TR, but the main lines were 4 hours+ the day I went the ToT single rider lines for reasons I will also talk about later took me over an hour and after 45 mins in the raging spirits line and barely moving with 30 people still in front I had to beg a castmember to let me hop the fence so i could make one of my fast-pass times (this fast pass only had a 30 min window!!!). As Robb said the policy has changed and with 4 hour lines it just wasn't worth the risk of missing my window.

I don't wear anything around my wrist because I don't want to get tan lines. Really disappointed that Disney is going to FORCE me to develop unsightly tan lines around my wrist just to step into one of their parks!!!

REALLY DISAPPOINTED, DISNEY.

During our last 7 night trip we ate at table service restaurants every night. We booked one reservation in advance (California grill because it was my wife's birthday).. The rest we played by ear. We used the Disney IOS app to book the rest as we went (and on the same day) .. Each night our group sized varied from four to twelve people.. This new technology that so many people (maybe not here, but certainly on other sites) are quick to shun, allowed our group to be spontaneous, eat at some of the best restaurants on property, and "do what we want"...

-chris "I for one welcome our new RFID overlords" con

I'm also wondering how many people enjoy wearing wristbands. Not many people from what I have seen. I think it would be interesting to see what people would do when it rolls out. Here is my prediction. People would put them on for a day, maybe 2. Then they would get sick of wearing them.
image.jpg.9674ff2cb22519e2b8ece9bb127692cf.jpg

This policy changed at WDW about 8 months ago. They no longer allow late FastPass returns. People were in a huge uproar when they heard about this change (naturally), but since it went into effect, seems it really hasn't impacted much and you almost never hear about it.

Good to know. As of October, they were still allowing it at both Tokyo parks. Or maybe I just looked nice, and they were being nice?

Or they figured it wasn't worth trying to explain it to a stupid-looking American?

More comments have been answered in regards to the security and customization of the MagicBands on the Disney Parks Blog entry.

The process is similar to what happens today if a guest loses their Key to the World Card. If a guest loses their MagicBand, they can report it to any Guest Services Cast Member to have it disabled and replaced. With MyMagic+ guests will also have the option of disabling the MagicBand themselves through their My Disney Experience account.
Ensuring the security of our guest’s information is obviously very important to us and no one is more focused on this than we are. Everything is opt in and guests will have the opportunity to choose what information they share with us. Nothing is more important to us than protecting that information. Guests should also know that the band does not store personal information.
It’s true. There will be future opportunities to further customize your MagicBands. Stay tuned, as we have this information we will continue to share with you.

I don't wear anything around my wrist because I don't want to get tan lines. Really disappointed that Disney is going to FORCE me to develop unsightly tan lines around my wrist just to step into one of their parks!!!

Rumour has it that for annual passholders they will just implant a microchip. Problem solved.

Wow, ever think of just putting the wrist band in your pocket? Pull it out when you need it.